BC Boards

Helping a shy dog learn to play

MaryNH

In mid-August, we adopted six-year-old Raleigh Wood Huber (his middle name, "Wood," is in honor of the wonderful, compassionate woman who fostered him for almost a year under the auspices of Glen Highland Farm). She convinced Raleigh that life can be worth living.

He's come a long way in a short time with us, but is still noise-phobic and extremely shy and fearful of people, especially men. His background is sketchy; it appears that he was pulled from a puppy mill and was bounced around to several, um, less-than-desirable situations, to put it mildly. More than a year ago, almost in extremis, and still intact, he finally ended up at Glen Highland Farm, where they restored him to health (a long process), had him altered, and fostered him to Linda Wood to give him a loving "home" experience.

Raleigh doesn't have a clue about playing, has no desire to chase or control anything (surprising in a BC), and is shy and fearful, particularly of my husband, who is the gentlest man in the world. He LOVES other dogs (has play dates with our friends' therapy Rottweilers), and is beginning to bond tightly with me. Our goal for this sweet boy is to give him some zest for living, teach him how to play, help him overcome his fear of noise and men, and expand his human-connection horizons beyond just me.

We're using T-Touch on him (which he loves), and I am a Reiki Master, so he is exposed to Reiki on a regular basis, which seems to be helping him. The eight weeks of Al relating to Raleigh is paying off -- he is the one who is the purveyor of all good things (even though I am the chief cook and bottle-washer, ha, ha!) -- breakfast, dinner, Swiss cheese bits, the liver cookies I make (they stink up the house during baking, but dogs love 'em, and they are very useful to serve as dreadful hors d'oeurves when you want to get rid of unwelcome guests).

On the recommendation of his foster mom, Linda Wood, Raleigh will be starting a basic obedience class in October with an instructor who is sensitive to the needs of shy/fearful dogs. Eventually we'd like to enroll him in some fun "agility-light" classes to give him a "job." First, of course, we'll see how he does in the obedience class -- since he loves being around other dogs, we think he'll be OK with it -- however, we don't want to push him into something that causes him more than a tiny bit of discomfort. The idea is to encourage him to move slowly outside his comfort zone so he can have more fun. Right now, his "comfort zone" is under the coffee table, watching us, although he does brighten up outside and is finally giving some "happy-butt" wiggles when he runs to me.

Any tips about helping this dog learn to play would be most welcome!

Mary NH and Raleigh Wood Huber

Raleigh doesn't have a clue about playing, has no desire to chase or control anything (surprising in a BC), and is shy and fearful, particularly of my husband, who is the gentlest man in the world.

My foster, Rhys bach, has no interest in playing with toys or other dogs. When he came he was a sad, scared guy, who had spent all his life in a small back yard. His not exactly shy, more fearful -- as an owner relinquish, the shelter put straight on the e-list. He spent the first weeks of his life with me with his tail tucked firmly between his legs. Like Raleigh, he was more scared of certain men than women.

I've never studied T-Touch, but I have always found gentle circular massage to be calming and that helped us get used to each other. Really any form of close physical contact that he likes helps the bonding process.

My break through with him was to get him interested in a tennis ball. At first, just rolling a ball along the ground. His left hind leg was so weak (practically fur on sinew and bone) that he could manage maybe 5-10 minutes a day before he would go lame and limp. By gradually building up his strength and confidence, he now has a fan club at the dog park all eager to throw a ball for him and he can play ball for a solid two hours at a stretch without any problems at all.

Some dogs never enjoy playing with other dogs; others, like my female, are very selective and will play only with a the few that she chooses. Help him build up his confidence and he may show an interest in playing.

From John: ...Some dogs never enjoy playing with other dogs; others, like my female, are very selective and will play only with a the few that she chooses. Help him build up his confidence and he may show an interest in playing.

----------------------------------

Thank you, John, for your very encouraging post. We just came back from the dog run -- of course, it is raining buckets, so we were the only ones there -- but we're trying to expose Raleigh to as much "enrichment" as possible. He spent about 15 minutes running all over sniffing (this is his third time there; the first two times there were other dogs he enjoyed playing with).

We'll keep trying to interest him in a tennis ball -- sooner or later, it will probably "click." We just want his guy to be happy and realize that games can be fun.

Your dog is a beauty, for sure, and we love his name!

Mary and Raleigh Wood Huber

I'd suggest to take it easy, don't push, and let him set the pace. Take him to new, unthreatening places and situations, and where dogs will also be totally non-threatening. Sometimes, just being on the sidelines and seeing other dogs have a good time is what it takes to kindle a little interest in playing.

I'm sure it will take time and, as mentioned, some dogs are never into playing either with other dogs or with toys, or can be very selective. Give him time, give him opportunity, and don't push it, and he will come around to set his own "agenda".

Very best wishes for giving a deserving dog a loving and forever, safe and secure home!

Hey Mary, Glad you found this board too. I replied to your post on Shy-K9's as well. There is a book on Play, at the moment I do not know the author, I'll have to check when I get home. You might find it useful.

Along with what others have said, sometimes it takes a while for them to come out of their shells anyway. Take your time and he might end up surprising you! I've had plenty of foster dogs that have decided to give it a go after a couple of weeks. They are usually un-sure of what's going on, but I just leave toys laying around and eventually the dog will pick one up and give it a shake and then I praise them and entice them more with the toy. Sometimes it scares them off, but they pick it up pretty quick.

Will post the author of that book later for you!

good luck

julie