BC Boards

ticking or something else?

sluj

I assume this is related to ticking, but can anyone offer a more detailed explanation of what's going on with multi-coloured hairs? I've searched around a bit (here, wiki, BC museum, etc.), and they all seem to say that ticking or roaning (unclear on the distinction) is due to intermingled white and coloured hairs. But what about hairs that are, say, white at one end and red on the other? Or black at both ends and white in the middle? Is there a name for this ?

just curious. should probably spend less time examining hairs and more time vacuuming them :rolleyes:

That's called agouti, when a hair shaft has different colors in it. I should be able to explain more about it since i've had it in several of my classes, but I can't :rolleyes: sorry!

That's called agouti, when a hair shaft has different colors in it. I should be able to explain more about it since i've had it in several of my classes, but I can't :rolleyes: sorry!

Sable is a common term for one type of banded hair colour. Sable is a form of agouti, but I'm not sure that the terms are completely overlapping. (I.e. is there an agouti form that wouldn't be referred to as sable?)

There are several banded hair types. Brindle is another. Wild grey is still another. The color and order of the bands can help classify what you are looking at, but this isn't infallible since in practice the bands can vary in width or color to the point where it's hard to tell whether you are looking at grey, cream, liver, tri brown, and sometimes black bands will predominate to the extent that the other bands are mere threads of color, or not appearing at all on that particular hair (as can happen with a solid brindle).