BC Boards

Another breed guessing thread

MaryP

This is a foster dog that I have in rescue right now. She has an application in on her, but the woman was really looking to adopt a pb bc. I've told her that Daisy is almost certainly a mix, though she is still a nice dog and has many of the traits that this woman is looking for (she wants a flyball dog). Now she wants to know why I think she is a mix and what I think she might be. I think she is a mix because she doesn't really look like a bc (IMO), but more importantly, she doesn't really act like a bc. She is small (25 lbs), loves toys, is fast, very bouncy, does not show any of that typical bc intesity, no eye ever, etc.

Anyway, I'm really bad at breed guessing. I tend to think that once a dog is mixed, it's really tough to figure out what that mix is. I've seen known mixes that I would never have guessed were that particular mix of breeds. It gets even more complicated when you have more than 2 breeds involved, too. Anyway, when I look at her and watch her behavior, the breed that comes to mind is springer spaniel. I could also potentially see mini Aussie in there. Not sure if I see any bc.

What do you see?

Daisy.jpg

Daisy6.jpg

Daisy5.jpg

Daisy2.jpg

That's a tough one. She is a cutie!!

FWIW, I see A LOT of similarity to Dean in her. He doesn't look very typical at all for a Border Collie, but he is definitely 100%.

Her body shape is the same as his, the expression is the same (especially in that third picture), and the way she holds her head and her ears are the same. Make her a tri-merle and they could pass for siblings, although she's much, much smaller. Aside from size and coloring and the fact that her fur is just a tad longer, they are very much the same in looks.

Granted, you can't go on looks alone, but based on Dean's look, I definitely see Border Collie and I really don't see anything else.

But that's me.

Ok, my serious answer now...from pictures, I think she looks very Border Collieish, but I understand that since you see her every day, you've got a better idea from seeing how she moves, behaves, etc. I could go with some Aussie in there, I suppose.

Eh, I don't know! She's super cute and sounds like she might make a good flyball dog.

I will add that she looks much more bc in her pictures than she does in person (dog?). She is typically pretty upright.

Quinn is pretty upright much of the time -- when he isn't intense on toys or sheep. I Guess he does have a slinky way of trotting, though now that I think of it. So I'm not help other than I'll second how cute she is and that she sounds like a nice dog.

We just had her black twin at Friends of Pep the red ticking was in Gray. Very petite for a male same tip of ears and expression. I have no clue. We decided he was a high mix. It's so hard to say when you dont know where they are from. I would say if it's more important for the dog to be pure bred than a great match for the family. She isnt their dog.

Mary, you always have the greatest looking rescues. I wonder why it's so important to someone doing flyball that this dog be a border collie - they don't have requirements that dogs be purebred, do they? Personally, I'd be more likely to brag on my mixed breed dog in flyball than on my border collie. After all, where's the accomplishment in a border collie that runs fast and is competitive? Just sayin' :rolleyes:

Anyway, without seeing her on stock it'd probably be next to impossible to ascertain if she's a bc with any certainty (but you already know that). Your spaniel guess may very well be spot on. Remember Tip? No matter how bad I wanted her to be a border collie, she's probably a spaniel mix (but at 40 lbs., closer in size than your little rescue).

3948594726_ffdf7042e8_m.jpg

Guess we'll never know. But I'm here to tell ya, Daisy is waaaaay better lookin' than lots of the purebreds I see.

Skip is 3 1/2 and just in the last few months started doing any crouching. I always said a coyote got in with his mother! He was always very "stiff" legged, with no crouching at all, yet Jackson started crouching at something as soon as his cast was off! About 3 mos of age. I think the coloring is very close to Skittles. I think the dog has border collie in her but don't know what if anything else. I just wouldn't count the "uprightness" as a criteria.

The only thing I can come up with other than bc is brittany. Not just the color either, I'm not sure why. I see a lot of bc obviously.

Actually, Brittnay is what I meant to say. Not springer.

ETA: You can't really tell from the pictures, but she has a relatively pronounced stop, which gives her face a very brittany-esque appearance.

I really want to say Brittany as well, but I guess I don't see that much either :S

with that much red ticking on her legs, has she got some heeler in her???

Or my last guess is maybe she's just a really really really badly bred Border Collie????

I showed her pics to two "BC expert" friends :D, and one said she looks all BC, but if she's not, then maybe toller, as Liz suggested. The other said "mix, but mostly BC". (I know, I know, Mary. Don't eat your shorts. :rolleyes:)

If you're forcing me to guess a mix, I'll go with brittany/BC. Her face is too narrow and the body shape is wrong for brittany, so I'm still sticking with some BC.