BC Boards

Getting a new pup....

WildFlower

Hello everyone,

I am getting a another pup. A boy this time. I have no experience with males..... What is the opinion here about when to neuter a male dog?

And other advice for moving from a one dog household to a two dog household would also be appreciated.

I am picking him up, on 10/17/09. His name is Devon, after the lovely town in England. He will be a bit over 3 months when I get him. I would have taken him earlier but I am busy at work until 10/15/09 and would not have the time necessary to devote to him. The breeder agreed to hold him for me until then.

This is the only picture I have him, he is quite young in it. But a picture is better than no picture! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

post-9317-1253543043_thumb.jpg

You're hopelessly hooked now.... :rolleyes::D he is a cutie!

If Daisy likes other dogs and pups in particular, than it should be a pretty seamless transition. You will probably also realize be just how good, mature and dependable your current dog has become.

As far as neutering goes, personally I would wait until he is 18-24 months old.

Going from a one dog house to a two dog house was pretty easy, IME. If your dog is good with other dogs and especially puppies, you shouldn't have many problems. I would be sure to give your adult dog a break from the puppy once in a while. Puppies can be relentless in their desire to play with and pester the adult dog.

As far as when to neuter, I think that is a matter of personal preference. I think is also depends on the dog. I planned to wait on Skittles until he was 18 months old, but I snipped him at around 9 months old because he was getting a bit too big for his britches. In retrospect, I probably should have snipped him even earlier. Perhaps that would have helped curb his bad boy attitude.

Thanks for the input so far.

I will add that Daisy is good with other dogs overall. She is really good at avoiding dogs she doesn't like or when she has had enough. She was/is good with my mom's new pup, Holly, who she just got in June.

I will definitely make time for the two of them separately. That is great advice.

Hey! I just now saw this. Congratulations on your new addition. I can't wait to "see" him.

My rescues have all been neutered/spayed at a young age, so I have no experience. I think most people try to wait until at least a year, more like 18 months. Like Mary, my agility instructor had her last BC done a little earlier because he was also getting too big for his britches.