BC Boards

Paw Pad Injury

Freeman is scraping off the skin from his paw pads in agility training. The flooring where we train has matting with a rough surface. I'm not seeing any other dogs that have issues with this, so I'm not sure that it's the surfacing but rather my dog's running style.

Has anyone else had problems with this?

Freeman is scraping off the skin from his paw pads in agility training. The flooring where we train has matting with a rough surface. I'm not seeing any other dogs that have issues with this, so I'm not sure that it's the surfacing but rather my dog's running style.

Has anyone else had problems with this?

Had it a few times. Usually with flyball or freeplay. It happens more often if their feet are wet. Is he doing a lot of sliding?

Is this the only place it happens?

Jenny

I think he is doing a lot of sliding. I didn't notice that he did this in agility until I watched a friend run him last night.

Part of this may be a handler issue, being that the handler needs to give faster pre-signals for directional changes so the little border collie doesn't have to put on the brakes and make lightning speed turns, but i'm a work in progress.

Oh, you mentioned something I had never thought about-his feet being wet. I usually practice with friends, and while friends are running their dogs I put Freeman in his crate. When I take him out for his turn his paws are covered in saliva! I'm going to pay more attention to keeping his feet dry and see if this makes a difference.

what condition are his pads in? If they're soft and tender to begin with, lots of wear and tear on any surface could cause damage. Both of my dogs run on trails and rocks a lot, and they're pads are like leather. Nothing wears them down. I know other dogs that run mostly on grass or other plush surfaces, and even an occasional slide across concrete or gravel will tear their pads. If might just be softer pads than some of the other dogs.

I think he is doing a lot of sliding. I didn't notice that he did this in agility until I watched a friend run him last night.

Being wet softens the leather on the pads, just like it does the soles of your feet. Add that to the sliding and you probably have your cause. Hopefully keeping them dry will help and they will get used to the surface and toughen up.

Jenny

Mal will rip his pads up if we do too many teeters (he has a sliding one), but I put Musher's Secret on them if I know we're doing teeter work and it adds an extra layer of protection. You can get it at Petsmart for fairly cheap and it lasts quite a while. It may also increase his traction - I use it on the Schnauzers when we trial indoors and it seems to help.

what condition are his pads in? If they're soft and tender to begin with, lots of wear and tear on any surface could cause damage. Both of my dogs run on trails and rocks a lot, and they're pads are like leather. Nothing wears them down. I know other dogs that run mostly on grass or other plush surfaces, and even an occasional slide across concrete or gravel will tear their pads. If might just be softer pads than some of the other dogs.

I'm no sure. Most of his exercise is on grass, dirt, sidewalks, or treadmill.

Mal will rip his pads up if we do too many teeters (he has a sliding one), but I put Musher's Secret on them if I know we're doing teeter work and it adds an extra layer of protection. You can get it at Petsmart for fairly cheap and it lasts quite a while. It may also increase his traction - I use it on the Schnauzers when we trial indoors and it seems to help.

The vet told me to not put any ointment on his pads since we want the pads to toughen not soften. But from your description this adds a layer of protection, right? I'll check it out.

Thanks.

Taz was doing this every week at herding. He ended up having to herd in boots because he ripped his pads off every week! He's very quick, and was turning too quickly on the rough surface. I haven't had that issue on indoor matting for agility so far, so I'm hoping his feet are toughening up over time. I hope your dog will too!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to get a recommendation on good booties that will stay on. Boo is constantly licking at his paws and creating sores. The vet sedated him and got two small stickers or seed heads, but couldn't find anything in the rear paw, where he is constantly licking. He's on hydroxyzine but he's still going at it, even after I wipe his paws with baby wipes. I'm at my wit's end. I duck taped a sock onto his rear leg and that held for days, but on the front paws he manages to get the sock off.

Nancy -

I've had really good success with the "Ruff Tuff bandage covers" sold here. They won't cover the paw pad, but they would cover the duct tape holding the sock on (I'm assuming that Boo is chewing off the duct tape, rather than just eating through the sock itself).

i LOVE the product Tuf-Foot. I'm always pimping it out every time someone has paw pad issues but it really stopped LT's pads from getting shredded. When she was pretend-sheepdog she shredded 3 out of her 4 pads and kept injuring them on a rotating basis. I started using this and VOILA! no more shredded pads. She doesn't do anything anymore but it really really worked for us. I know someone with a malanois that had the same problem and she used Tuf-Foot with great success.

http://www.tuffoot.com/

I'd love to get a recommendation on good booties that will stay on. Boo is constantly licking at his paws and creating sores. The vet sedated him and got two small stickers or seed heads, but couldn't find anything in the rear paw, where he is constantly licking. He's on hydroxyzine but he's still going at it, even after I wipe his paws with baby wipes. I'm at my wit's end. I duck taped a sock onto his rear leg and that held for days, but on the front paws he manages to get the sock off.

You can find lots of suppliers of booties if you go to Sled Dog Central and check out the equipment link, or some of the banner ads on the site. Most mushers will use booties at some point and they need ones that stay on while running. You could either browse the various suppliers sites to see what is available, or go onto SDC Talk and ask which types they recommend.

The other thing many mushers do to toughen up the feet is feed a zinc supplement, usually either a powder that's added to the feed (something like Zin-Pro), or in tablet form from the drug store (I've heard it recommended to feed the zinc gluconate tablets, not the chelated zinc). There are tons of discussions on feet, foot care and foot injuries if you do a search on that forum.