BC Boards

What would you do to...???

I guess I wasn't clear: I only had one dog at a time. The older one died about 18 months before Niki came along.

But from your post, I get the distinct impression that you're one of those who're into it more for fun. Just three words: "I adopted Dean", rather than say "I paid big bucks for Dean so I could be a WINNER!" make all the difference.

True. Remember, though, that I was replying to your question, "why do they choose to compete at these sports anyway?"

If the question is, "why pay big bucks for a dog to do sports with?", I'd pretty much wonder the same thing.

Especially, going back to the original question, when there are working bred Border Collie puppies, so I understand, that are far more reasonably priced, and there are excellent sport prospects in Border Collie rescues across the country. And getting a Border Collie either way can be step toward preserving the Border Collie, as I understand things.

Of course, not everyone knows that or thinks that way.

So, how much do you think I'd get for a pup that can jump six feet? :rolleyes:.

Just kidding, the more goofy stuff he does, the more I grow to love him. He's priceless.

You can look at the breeding lines to gain some expectation of a dog's performance but there's no measure for the individual personality and likes and dislikes that can pop up. Some people probably do reject a dog for nonperformance or as you say, is not a good fit, but I have to hope that most people genuinely respect the dogs they acquire and if they're not a good fit, then they make a very good effort to find a home where the dog and the people will be comfortable....that Orson story on another thread just turns my stomach. I've read the book and when I saw where it was going, I literally threw it away.

Liz

So, how much do you think I'd get for a pup that can jump six feet? :D.

I don't know but I'm sure that would light up the eyes of many an agility enthusiast. :rolleyes:

Some people probably do reject a dog for nonperformance or as you say, is not a good fit, but I have to hope that most people genuinely respect the dogs they acquire and if they're not a good fit, then they make a very good effort to find a home where the dog and the people will be comfortable

At my training club, a few sports people have rehomed dogs over the years but not because of performance issues. And yes, they put effort into finding a good home for the dog.

Where I used to train, most folks were into agility or rally (or anything else) to have fun with the dog they had and forge a stronger bond. A few have gone on to be competitive, and some have paid some good money for "well-bred" dogs that should excel at fill-in-the-blank.

I have seen young dogs pushed so hard that they turned off or sustained injuries that ended their "career", people "upgrading" to dogs bred for "success" in their sport or conformation, and so on. But I have to say that, other than one or two particular individuals who apparently put their competitiveness ahead of their dogs' mental state and physical welfare, most everyone just did what they and their dogs enjoyed, and were not out simply to win something. Many never competed, thought of competing, or had any desire to compete - they just wanted a healthy activity to enjoy with their dog(s).

IMO, all sports should be endeavors that both handler and dog enjoy, and that the fun and bond-building should always come before the desire to win.