BC Boards

One slip...

...and down the hole we fall, to quote Kessie's favourite band. Count me in among the herding addicts :rolleyes: .

We had originally planned to do two days of training with a "real" herding trainer, but he was ill (or didn't like the weather), so somebody from the farm gave us and the other dogs and owners some lessons. Nothing as professional as what some of you do, but we both enjoyed it a lot and that's the only thing that matters.

At first, Kessie didn't even seem to notice that there were any sheep at all (I've always trained her NOT to go after animals, so she thought we had all gone nuts).

Then, when she first went in with the trainer, she got more interested very quickly, and when she came out again she spent the rest of the time staring at the sheep through the fence while the others practised.

I was completely surprised by the way she worked! The main reason why I always thought she might be a mix is that she doesn't display the same kind of thoughtful calculation in her every day behaviour that I've seen in other BCs. I completely expected her to happily chase the sheep around, or even pull some wool.

But, as soon as she understood that she was allowed to herd them, the brains came out! at myself.

She has a very calm and quiet way of working. Not as "driven" as some of the other dogs there, but concentrated, and very concious of the pressure she was putting on the sheep, and how they were reacting.

She's still far too eager to please (too worried about getting it perfectly right) towards humans, but she didn't take much cr*p from the sheep.

I'm very proud of her! (Laugh at me for bragging if you like :D ).

As for myself...I was very grateful for all the other beginners' stories I had read on these boards :D . There's nothing like being the only real obstacle in your dogs way :D

Off to post some pics. Oh, and of course we'll have to do this again...

I am SO glad to hear you had a wonderful time and that Kessie had a lot of natural instinct on the sheep. Isn't it amazing how quickly addictive working with your dog on stock is?

There's nothing like being the only real obstacle in your dogs way
My dogs would certainly agree with you on this!!! Any time I see a "shortcoming" in my dog, it is easily traced back to an inadequacy on my part. It's humbling...

I hope you get many more opportunities to pursue this new passion of yours. Best wishes!

Wow! your post is very timely. Phoenix and I both very new at this, are going to an "introduction to sheep herding", this weekend.

He is 17 mos. old and has never even seen sheep.

I have all sorts of visions of what will happen, or NOT We shall see...

Hope our day turns out as good as yours.

Very cool!! Speedy and I are right there with you! We had our fifth lesson just today!

I don't know how much ability he has, but he loves it like he loves nothing else in life! It is so amazing to see!

After a sheep lesson he is content and grinning for days!!

I'm glad to hear about all of the other beginners, too!

when she came out again she spent the rest of the time staring at the sheep through the fence
Yep, you're doomed. :rolleyes:

Isn't it heart-warming when you see them do what they were bred to do? I swear Dublin grins ear to ear when he sees sheep. Glad Kessie (and you!) had a good time.

Originally posted by Root Beer:

After a sheep lesson he is content and grinning for days!!

I do think Madame still has some extra attitude left over from the sheep! :rolleyes: This picture is only a few hours old now. Look at her:

DSCF2446kl.jpg.

Yes, as you all said, it's fantastic to watch her doing what she was born to do! Can't wait for the next opportunity!

I also finally got my Border Collie fix there :D . Normally I get excited if there is any remotely BC-like dog in sight, because they're so rare out here.

But the people (very nice people, btw) who did the training breed BCs, and they're EVERYWHERE in that house, so during lunch breaks I had BCs climbing all over me. Black&white ones, red merles, blue merles, tris...and 4 months old red Cassidy :D . Heaven on earth!