BC Boards

Food at Finals

NorthfieldNick

I hope this doesn't sound silly, but I've never been a to a big, multi-day trial before.

I'll be tent camping at Finals. What does one do for food? Bring it all? Bring a cooler with a lot of ice? I could borrow a camp stove (my old one is kaput). So long as I can boil water for coffee in the morning, I'll survive :rolleyes:

What about water, for humans & dogs?

I remember a fairly recent thread about this, but searching "food" and "trials" on this board brings up a zillion and ten results!

Thanks!

There will be several food booths at the finals for daytime food. There will also be finger food at both the ABCA meeting and the USBCHA meeting. Saturday evening there will be a tri tip barbecue for $25 to benefit the Cancer Treatment Center. The small town of Merrill which is close to the field has a grocery store and a couple of restaurants. Klamath Falls is 15 to 20 miles away.

Ben, even if there is food planned I always try to drag along a cooler and either food that doesn't need to be cooked or a small camp stove. You'll be glad you did. I also try to bring Dan King who brings coffee for me. :rolleyes: I have found myself MORE than desperate at several trials... no coffee and ready to kill someone. Bad, bad bad. Make sure you have access to coffee.

The ABCA Annual Meeting is Wednesday night; the USBCHA Annual Meeting is Thursday night; both will be in the Meeting Tent on-site. If you are interested in Border Collie health and genetics, you will want to attend the ABCA meeting, as Dr Mark Neff and his colleague Jennifer Yokoyama will be presenting findings from their research on epilepsy and adult-onset deafness in the Border Collie.

Tacos a la Mexicana, a little hole-in-the wall restaurant on Main Street in Merrill, is outstanding; the real deal. Geri wouldn't promote it as she doesn't like Mexican food (go figure!). Pappy Gander's is quite good also, with a varied menu, and the Polar Bear drive in has old-fashioned burgers and really good milkshakes.

Amy

I hope this doesn't sound silly, but I've never been a to a big, multi-day trial before.

I'll be tent camping at Finals. What does one do for food? Bring it all? Bring a cooler with a lot of ice? I could borrow a camp stove (my old one is kaput). So long as I can boil water for coffee in the morning, I'll survive :rolleyes:

What about water, for humans & dogs?

I remember a fairly recent thread about this, but searching "food" and "trials" on this board brings up a zillion and ten results!

Thanks!

Nick, one thing I always do when travelling to trials is to be sure I have my own water for the dogs. I travel with 11 dogs and pack at least 25 gallons when going to the Nationals. It avoids any problems associated with changes in water and they are many. If I do have to change I make sure that it is done gradually by mixing early when I see I'm going to run out. Like Geri and Amy say, I don't think there will be any problem with you being able to eat or drink. I've always found the Klamath Nationals to be very well supplied with vendors and concessions.......Bob

Thanks, folks! I'll bring coffee, but if there're lattes available, well, you'll know where to find me in between runs (I am a coffee FIEND!) I'll pack a cooler with some food, and bring water for the dogs- although I know from experience that they'll drink just about anything, anywhere.

If anyone needs a sugar craving satisfied, come find me. I'll bring pastries... I do work in a bakery, after all.

Diane, count me in for Friday. Maybe my friend, too- she's trying hard to come with (on the grounds of going to pick up a new ram).

Bring a sidedish. and what you want to drink.

I will PM you my cell ph

Diane

Still working out the details, but I think I'll make it up there. I'm a lousy cook though (aside from coffee), so is there anything pre-made I could bring for the potluck? Really looking forward to meeting you.

Melanie, you will be my hero if you bring home-smoked salmon! I LOVE the stuff, especially sockeye, but the runs have been so bad (or closed!) lately... A friend of mine has been smoking humpies (pinks) this year; we'll see how it turns out.

Oh, oh, oh... there's still some soft fresh cheese that I made in the freezer! Oh, smoked salmon spread... :rolleyes:

Getty just packed the big cooker and may make a CAJUN DISH!! I am so excited. He is from the south and is one great cook.

Getty says to bring music stuff as he is bringing his guitar and harps...so we will all be playing on Friday night. Who all is a musician? I guess we doing a jam session too!!

Prepare to have fun!!

Diane and Getty

Pastries? Why am I stuck in the East???

Ed used to smoke fish - when we were young and living in an 8x37 trailer in Blacksburg VA, a friend finished a catfish-raising experiment and gave us over a hundred smallish catfish. I spent the entire day cleaning, getting stuck with those pokey fins, and Ed came home. He built a smoker out of cardboard and hung the fish to smoke. You should have seen the look on the mailman's face the next morning when he came by and found a tall, smoking box in our front yard.

Oh, the fish was good - and we made some awesome smoked catfish chowder with it!

Pastries? Why am I stuck in the East???

I always wondered why I was stuck in the West when the NC picnic came up. I have to admit, I wasn't sure I should go, but pastries helped tip the scale (er, um, scale...walked right into that one didn't I)

You should have seen the look on the mailman's face the next morning when he came by and found a tall, smoking box in our front yard.

:rolleyes: