BC Boards

Chewing the walls

I need some help. I just moved to a new house, I've been there since June, and I think Figo and Bella are a bit anxious or uneasy, because thew wake up at night and start chewing the walls. I've tried spraying bitter apple, that didn't work. I rubbed habanero on there (habanero is a very very much spicier jalape?o), and i guess they're part mexican, because that didn't stop them. I left a rawhide bone for them, and that worked, but i'm afraid that they might choke on that at night and I wouldn't even notice. So the only thing that has worked is crating them, but I very much like them to be out and can roam around. What can I do?

I'll post some pictures of the wall this afternoon.

I take them out to the park for some frisbee for at least 1 hr. every day, just in case you thought that they were'nt getting any exercise.

Thanks for your help

Daniel Ancira

Maybe you could crate them for a few weeks and they will mellow out about whatever it is that is making them uneasy. Then you could let them roam again.

Are they only doing it at night? If so, there maybe be some noise or something you can't hear that is bothering them. If you could find out what that was and make it go away, they might stop.

Is it only one particular room or all the rooms where they are chewing? Another option is to shut them in the bedroom with you, if that is not the room they are chewing on.

Another option is, whatever walls they are chewing on, block those with something. Tables, chairs, x-pens, crates, etc. Or put foil on the floor near those walls, if they don't like to walk on foil (some dogs don't) or something sticky (like those things you can use to keep cats from scratching the furniture) and then they won't be able to get the walls... but then watch out because they will probably find something else to chew.

Can you really wear them out right before bed? Though that winds up some dogs instead of making them tired.

Can you give them very complicated Kongs or other stuffed toys to work on, to keep them busy? Especially in conjunction with blocking off the walls, perhaps.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

"I haven't found anything besides crating that will stop our dog from chewing the walls when we aren't home. If we leave the house without her she gets mad I think and does it just to be "bad"."

I doubt that very much. She probably has anxiety about you leaving--much different from doing it on purpose, she is probably doing it because she is upset and perhaps in a panic. A crate is a better choice than leaving her loose, in any case.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

They do that only on the night? They chew always the same spot or all the house?

I ask because once I knew a terrier who did the same thing. The answer was a family of rats living on the walls, eliminated the rats eliminetd the problem. Maybe could be something similar.

I don't know if this helps....

Late at night after Meg has had more play than she can handle, and her zoomies are worn out, before she actually drops into a dead sleep, and after she has repetedly been let outside and sent to her crate two or three times --- she will lean on the hallway walls and rub her side against them with a huge grin on her face. Eventually, if I don't get up from my computer and start playing with her she will first smell the walls and then try to start chewing them. Sometimes she will do something else like steal 3M pads from the sinks and chew them up, or gnaw on the cat, or get up on the dinning room table and knock something off.

I've interpreted this behavior as the behavior of an overtired child that doesn't want to give up the day. (She's a bit like me that way and I do wish someone would do this to me.} I take her down to her crate and lock the door. When she's sound asleep, I wake her up and take my sleepy bundle downstairs to the bedroom with us and she sleeps soundly through the night with us with the door closed. Lately we have been confident enough in her to leave the bedroom door open.

They only do it at night, when we are asleep, so I don't find out until the morning. I wasn't able to take pictures of how they are right now, but I have some from when I was painting the house.

I'm going to try to kinda explain de layout, but I'm really bad at explaining.

My house has 2 stories, the top one is the kitchen dinning room etc, the second one is downstairs and has 2 rooms and one bathroom. The first picture is taken from the stairs (duh) that takes you down to the "2nd" floor where the rooms are, the second picture is from the landing after the steps looking towards my room which is the one in the end and the third picture is from my room to the stairs. As you can see its a very small space. I've marked with red all the walls they've chewed. An on the stairs I put one of those gates for children.

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

So i leave the door open so it doesn't get crowded, it's really a very small place, that whole are is slightly bigger than my room when i used to live alone. So the space is basically the same, and they never chewed the walls at my old place.

I don't think it could be rats, houses in Mexico are very different than houses in the US, most of the walls in us houses are hollow, here they are bricks. In Mexico we do the walls the same inside and outside. So there cant be rats in the walls.

Im pretty sure they're really tired, cause when we get home, they're practically dead, they wont even eat until about 1 hr. after we come back from the park, they'll just lie there and not move.

As you can see by the pictures, its very difficult to block the walls with something, it would block the whole place up.

As i mentioned before, they never used to do this, so im thinking they haven't gotten used to the new house, and they take it out on the walls. So i'll probably keep crating them for now, and give it another try in a couple of weeks...good thing i crate trained them, before i got to these boards, i never crate trained my dogs, of course i din't have BC's before so....you know.

Thank everybody for your help

Daniel Ancira

Scampi chewed at our new house walls but he stilla young pup... nevertheless rubbing some pepper over all the edges and skirting of the area he sleeps in solved the problem!! may look a little messy with pepper all over the walls for a while but it soon cleans up

I would work with catching them in the act and telling them NO. Just like if they picked up your shoe and started knawing on it, you'd say NO and take it away. Block them from the wall and say no. You could even offer them something else (Kong full of peanut butter so they don't choke).

When you can't be there to catch them in the act, crate them. I would imagine they would catch on and realize that the walls are unacceptable chew toys.

I did that with my BC as a puppy as she started to chew my baseboards. Pretty quickly she realized I didn't want her doing that and she stopped.