BC Boards

Seminars

Carlasl

So the agility club that I train at is hosting a Karen Holik seminar in a few weeks. Two of the days are for intermediate and advanced teams so I didn't pay much attention. I have a new pup and was talking to one of the trainers about foundation stuff and she said Karen was going to host an all day foundation seminar on the Monday after the agility seminar. I really want to go but the $200 fee is a bit over my budget right now, but she said I could audit for $75. I can do that, but now I am thinking I will regret not bringing Maya and doing the full seminar.

I have never been to a seminar before so I guess I was just wondering from those who had, if it is worth the extra money to bring the dog, especially for something like a foundation seminar. I am not having any problems with Maya other than she is a bit timid outside (inside she is a rock, nothing phases her). I can see if you are trialing and have an issue you want to work out where bringing the dog would be worth the money. But to mainly just get advice on foundation stuff I was thinking auditing would be just as useful as actually bringing the dog, and I can save $125 bucks.

So the agility club that I train at is hosting a Karen Holik seminar in a few weeks.

Karen is fantastic and if you can swing it you'd get a lot out of a working spot. I've hosted her for seminars 3x now and of all of the seminars I've put on (I ran 3-4 a year for 5 years) she's my favorite. She's very good at foundation stuff and currently has a young border collie that she's doing foundation work with, so I'm guess she'll be even better now.

If you can't have a working spot, auditing will definitely be worth it too. Just bring a notebook and take lots of notes.

The first thing to do is check to see if there are any working spots available. They may be full and the question becomes a non-issue. I working spots are full and are still interested, you can ask to be placed on a wait list for the working spots. Sometime people have to cancel at the last minute and are looking for someone to take their spot. These are all options, but the bottom line is decide what you want to do and go from there.

The next step would be to research information on the instructor. Has she written and books, articles, or made videos? Does she have a web site? Sometimes this information is available on the internet, through the library, club libraries, or friends. Try and understand the instructors back ground and training philosophy. This will help you better understand the information and techniques presented at the seminar.

Write down 3-5 of your top questions or problem areas you would like to see addressed at the seminar. The answers may be addressed as part of the presentation or in answer to someone else’s question.

Write down other questions, that occur to you, as the seminar progresses. If there is time later look over your list and pick the top one or two to ask during a Q & A session or during a break. Again many people have the same questions, need clarification, or the answer was addressed in the presentation.

After the seminar, get together with others who attended and compare notes. I've found there was information I missed while taking notes or understood a point differently that someone else. It is a good check and comparison of seminar information. Then try some of the suggestions as a group training session. Other people may be able to point out things and draw from the information that you are missing in your handling skills or run.

There was an article in the issue of Dog Sport magazine on getting the most from a seminar. it might also be useful.

Good luck.

mobcmom

I have never been to a seminar before so I guess I was just wondering from those who had, if it is worth the extra money to bring the dog, especially for something like a foundation seminar. I am not having any problems with Maya other than she is a bit timid outside (inside she is a rock, nothing phases her). I can see if you are trialing and have an issue you want to work out where bringing the dog would be worth the money. But to mainly just get advice on foundation stuff I was thinking auditing would be just as useful as actually bringing the dog, and I can save $125 bucks.

Hi,

Personally, I would rather audit a seminar. I've done both and found I got more out of it being able to watch all the teams that were working as opposed to focusing on my own dog. You can always ask questions that are specific to your dog.

The seminar presenter most likely uses different methods than you do which is also something to consider if you will be working your dog.

Have fun~

Janet

I vote for audit.

I agree that Karen is a fantastic instructor, and if there was something specific you wanted help with, that would be a reason to try for a working spot.

But as an auditor you're in a far better position to take notes and think about which techniques you might want to try later with your own dog. Also, if this is your first seminar, you'll get a sense of how it all goes and then be better prepared to make use of working spots in future seminars.

Write down 3-5 of your top questions or problem areas you would like to see addressed at the seminar. The answers may be addressed as part of the presentation or in answer to someone else’s question.

Good luck.

mobcmom

I guess this is another one of the reasons I am leaning towards auditing, she is only 5 months old, and we have not started formal training yet, we are really just doing focus games, basic obedience, and I am just getting her familiar with the sights and sounds of agility (we sit on on classes), doing little bit of having her getting used to walking on different surfaces and working on her toy/tug drive.

If the seminar is for dogs who are ready to start jumping, doing contact work then it really isn't going to do me much good to have a working spot (there are a couple spots left I was told). and I would be better off, auditing and taking notes on things for when we are doing those things (and saving my money).

I will probably send a email to the instructor to see if she knows what the foundation seminar will be covering that may give me a better idea of what I should do.

Thanks!

With a 5 month old puppy I'd audit too unless it was a seminar specifically for puppies. I missed the 5 month old part the first time around.

When my trainer was telling me about it she called it a foundation seminar for puppies, but then she mentioned jump work (as in she wouldn't be old enough for that yet) so I am not sure, I sent her an email to see if she knew what specifically will be covered in the foundation seminar and I will make my decision after that.

thanks for the input everyone.

One last thought on seminars and general training. I'm not sure about agility however with obedience I've found it very helpful to watch and listen to those who train at the higher levels. There are many different training styles and methods.

It is hard to teach a dog unless you know where you want to go and understand various methods to get there. You will also be learning and developing skills as a handler and developing a relationship with your dog. I think this applies to many activities people do with their dogs. It is very helpful to know the rules and what happens in training at the higher levels. Take the time to listen, learn, and ask lots of questions. Most people are very willing to offer and explanation, advise, or suggestions.

Good luck.

Mobcmom

I think it depends on how you best learn. I am a hopeless auditor, I listen & learn but I find I retain information so much better when I am doing.

I always worry as an auditor that when I go away later my dog will offer a behaviour that no-one else did at the seminar & I won't know how to deal with it.

Saying that, 5 months is young & there will be plenty more seminar opportunities as she gets older for you to participate in.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am pretty sure I am going to just audit, we had some unexpected financial things come up (found out my 6yr old son has some eye problems and needs a lot of therapy and eye dr visits) and just cannot justify spending the money on a working spot right now. I appreciate all the input though.

• 2 weeks later...

So plans changed for the foundation seminar, a couple people dropped out so instead of a all day seminar. We are doing a group private lesson for the three (possibly four) of us who are attending. I decided to go ahead and do it, I want to get a good start on this girl and this seminar is falling at a good time for her she will be almost 7mo old at the time of the seminar.

I am so excited about starting her out, she just seems to love to learn. She also seems to be getting over being so timid. In fact she has been such a mild mannered pup I was a little concerned she wouldn't have much drive but the past couple weeks she has turned into a hellion always ready to go!