BC Boards

putting your kennel name on a bought dog

Lenajo

Jan, if you have Juno's papers, and she's in your name as owner, right?, then she's certainly registered. If I recall, they registered the litter before you bought her? What name did they register her under? You can change it to Juno if it's not that way already.

A

ETA: and, yes, as the breeder, I registered Danny's litter. I think what Sue meant was when she was trying to come up with the name for her pup, she wondered if I used SDR (or something) for Stockdog Ranch when adding up how many characters she would have available for her to use.

Well, yes, absolutely right! I did not register Dan but Anna did. It was under a different system when I registered Celt back when owners did the registering, before litter registration. Anna got the info from me (dog's name, our names and info) and did the registration. I wondered if she wanted something like SDR in front of Dan's name as I know there are a number of breeders (including the person I got Celt from who was not his breeder actually but rather his sire's breeder and owner, but the one who gave Celt to me as he was her stud fee pup) who like to see their prefix there, or feel honored that the pup's new owner would want that prefix there.

Bless working breeders and ABCA, kennel prefixes are not used all that often and surely aren't the "big deal" (along with convoluted names) that they are in the show/performance world. Nothing wrong with them since, as pointed out, they represent the breeding behind the pups produced - and stand, for better or worse in that pup's career, for that breeding and not for ego.

I remember a long time ago, when I was new to registrations when I got a pup, I asked about my kennel name as part of the name. It was my first registered dog and I knew nothing about kennel name protocol. The person was very condescending to me. The pup was registered in her kennel name, no big deal to be since it was a inquiry on my part, since she was the breeder but she was very rude to me and still is to this day.

I have had two pups over the years that I sold with my kennel names and after they got the papers, they changed the names to their kennels names. One takes credit for the breeding, interestingly enough even though she has never done any trials with her dogs and she was not involved in any of the breeding either.

People ask about Nan all the time and I point out that I got her from L&M (Laura Hicks) and her breeding is top of the line. I just happened to be the lucky owner of Nan.

Diane

Just to be clear, I don't think it's okay to do this, but I also think it's the sort of offense that carries its own punishment.

I guess the whole car analogy breaks down because I don't see kennel names listed in any "programs" and I don't see lots of kennels advertising -- not ones that I would do business with anyway. The very few trials I have seen that have anything other than a running order still don't print full registered names of dogs. And if a fool thinks that buying an Sparkledust dog is going to mean that he gets the Sparkledust breeding without checking to see what that is and whether the pup he's looking at is bred from the same lines as the one that hooked him, well then he deserves what he gets.

The difference between cars and dogs is that every 2008 Ford Focus should be pretty much the same as every other 2008 Ford Focus. The same cannot be said for Sparkledust dogs, even if the breeder is totally on the up and up.

Apologies to Dodie Green -- I didn't mean to use a real kennel name.

Liz, I am not sure about Boy specifically, but I think Amanda only trials dogs that she has bred.