BC Boards

getting into stockwork - without a dog

sluj

Hi all,

As some of you know, I'm interested in getting into herding -- have been to a few sheep and cattle dog trials, own most of the recommended beginners' books -- but I don't have a collie. My dog is a (wonderful, sweet, smart, energetic) mixed breed, probably half queensland heeler; haven't reached any consensus on the rest of her background. So even if I could find a non-AKC trainer willing to work with her, she probably won't go very far. So I figured you would be the ones to ask about my alternatives.

• One former board member said that she worked with a trainers dog for some months before she bought her own. Is this at all a common thing?
  • I'd actually be interested in learning about sheep management (Bill's scared me off goats, for now). So are any farmers willing to trade work for lessons (on shearing, lambing, whatever needs to be done)?

I'll be asking around next time I make it to a trial (next one in my area is early next month), but thought I'd ask for your input first. Thanks!

I agree with Melanie. You could probably find someone who would let you borrow their dog for lessons. I'm doing that now with one of my open trial dogs. When we start trialing in earnest again, I'll probably cut way back on the lessons with this dog so I can tune her back up, but otherwise I'm not opposed to people taking lessons with her (assuming the person is someone I think could work with her).

Speaking for myself, I'd be happy to exchange education on sheep management for practical help (foot trimming, drenching, crutching, etc.). Your plan to talk to folks at trials is a good one.

J.

Oh don't be scared of goats! They are difficult in the sense of being.....well goats.......escape artists......and stubborn.....But with a dog that will work them, uh.....in my case with my goats, grip them, they work fine. I take out the dairy goats with the flock of sheep and they browse. I only have problems in the beggining with new adult goats who challenge the dogs.....but that is soon sorted out. (By Gunny the Marine.)

There are days though that I smile and think of Bill and say to the goats, "I am sorry, but I am going to have to EAT you tomarrow.)

There is a market for kids, for meat, in my area. And I love good goat milk and cheese. Which they give in abundance.

Goat watching Gunny

Cap watching goats

This is on gravel road- 1/2 mile from home

post-8684-1252500669_thumb.jpg

post-8684-1252500809_thumb.jpg

Fly's worked goats -- she was fantastic with them. We've only worked them once but in general they are supposed to be less flocky than most sheep and willing to just explode and go off in five (or seven, or ten) different directions when pressed. Fly does not scare livestock, which is to our detriment at times but on these particular goats was an advantage since they did not panic and stayed together. She is great on soooooooper light sheep for the same reason. Sheep that turn around and fight her, not so much.

You should come up for the Finals! It's not a bad drive from the Bay Area. Actually, I think it might be close to the same distance for you as it will be for me.

• 1 month later...
There are people living vicariously here!

Through me? Ok, that's just sad. :rolleyes:

I got about three paragraphs into the story when my browser shut down on me, so will have to get back to this later - taking it as a sign I should do some work first.

LOL at this point I'm jealous of anyone close enough to do stockwork on a regular basis. :rolleyes: I may get to put Kes on sheep soon though - the available lesson times are sporadic and it's a good distance away so we don't go as often as I wish we could (plus that minor detail of money!).

Ok, here’s another try:

I’d tried looking for a trainer well before posting the original message, had emailed a few people without success. I think my problem was phrasing my query as 1) should I try with my dog and 2) if not, could I borrow one. Answer to the first was no, or no, try contacting this (AKC) person. One guy said OK, but never got back to me on setting a time. I ended up contacting someone who hadn’t advertised for lessons, but who had been very kind about explaining what was going on at the first few trials I attended. He got back to me right away, said sure we have plenty of dogs here, asked a bunch of questions about my interests/goals, and we set up a lesson.

First thing was to teach me whistles. Turns out that although I can whistle a good range of tones at home or in my car, I can only manage a high-pitched squeal in front of someone. So I got assigned some homework and the rest of the lesson was by voice. As I’m a naturally shy and quiet person, and also happen to be recovering from a cold, it’s a very good thing all of the action was close in. We used a pasture rather than a pen, might’ve been a couple of acres, and flat. Used about 20 sheep, I forgot to ask the breed, maybe Katahdin. They were a pretty friendly lot. One went digging in my pocket while another nibbled my shoe.

My training partner was a little prick-eared, tri-color, rough coat gal name Foxy. She was shy, skittering around the other side of the trainer’s legs when I tried to greet her. Tom said she’ll probably warm up once she’s gotten on the sheep. He was right – after two or three fetches, she was relaxed enough to let me pop a grass seed out of her eye. Will make sure to get a picture next time.

To be honest, I’m not exactly sure what we were doing, except maybe to give me a feel for the sheep and timing the commands. I didn’t expect to have a hard time with directions – I live with someone who mixes up left and right about 45% of the time – but it’s tricky!

Good for you!

Just a tangent but are you familiar with livestock yourself? Have you had any experience working with them? Maybe your new trainer might let you "be the dog" a bit so you can begin to understand how the stock reacts to pressure. That's one way to work "without a dog"! And it's a great way to learn about stock.

I think you are doing something very smart - learning about stockwork with a dog before you are in the position to get your own dog. Knowledge and experience will help you in the long run.

Enjoy!

Good for you and interesting about the whistling. We have the opposite problem. We have a Aussie male who needs a handler and someone who wants to learn to handle him. I'd exchange for a breeding back or a pup or whatever anyone wants. Sam is a gripper but I'm sure he could learn from someone with a good trainer. Any other ideas for us? We don't have any money for lessons ($40 here and that is a hour each way). I do have sheep and a round pen but need that right person to connect with my dog. We live on a 78 acre ranch with a few acre pens and open space as well.