BC Boards

Peace and comfort to you and Cheyenne. I cry every time I read a post like this and dread the day....

Love and prayers,

Pam

Thanks y'all for the kind words. And yes, I will inquire about different pain meds for her. One thing I didn't mention is that I have been finding little lumps in various places on her. I will call to make the appt. tomorrow. I have an excellent vet, and I trust him to tell me the truth about her. I will see what he says and decide then. Maybe with new meds it will help. I will discuss it with him and see. Thanks again.

Hi Linda,

Having recently gone through this with my "PeeWee", I can totally relate to your feelings. I too was waiting for the right time, and beating myself up making the decision. PeeWee had a tumor, which was at first obstructing only his colon but later constricted his urethra.

In the last week of his life, we knew that death was inevitable, but his spirit was (always) strong and this made the decision to put him down hard.

I finally came to realize that, sometimes, there is no exact "right time." (Or at least not one that I could know.) This actually gave me comfort because I no longer had to find that right time. I focused on the good life he had (10 years that he wouldn't have had if he'd remained in the kill-shelter in Maine) and the joy he brought us AND my determination to not let him suffer . . .

I hope you can find peace in making your decision. My thoughts are with you.

Kim

Linda,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you in this, the most difficult time in a pet owner's life.

These are the loves of our lives, our friends, companions, confidants and family. The decision to help them on the next step in their journey, without us, is the one only we can make.

When you look into their eyes, and into your heart, you will be guided in your decision.

The question of too soon or too late is always our greatest struggle.

That it is a struggle is a testament to our love.

Back from vets; he put her on prednisone, 10mg twice a day for 5 days, 10mg once a day for 5 days, then every other day. IF she does okay with it. He says we can up the dose to 20mg twice a day if needed. He said this is the last that he can do as far as meds go. He said there were other meds that would knock out her pain, but would make her dopey. That would be ok for a temp situation, but not for ever. So, that is where we stand. Oh, and she peed in the exam room, something she has never done in her life. But when we went out to pay the bill there was this big ole monster of a dog in the waiting room, and she told him and everyone else that she could whup him if needed! So that's something I can hold on to.

But when we went out to pay the bill there was this big ole monster of a dog in the waiting room, and she told him and everyone else that she could whup him if needed! So that's something I can hold on to.

Good for you, Cheyenne. Linda, hugs from us, from afar. We're thinking of ya.

Linda, my thoughts are with you and Cheyenne, sweet girl. I've had older/ill animals go on prednisone and have some good relief from their symptoms for awhile. And she's obviously got fight left! Here's wishing you both the best.

Hi Linda,

I was exactly where you are. I hate that I waited for her to loose the light in her eyes. I hate that I made her find that low point before I helped get her release.

The pred is wonderful, enjoy the time it gives you and when you feel that she isn't having more good times than not, you will know it is time.

Hugs, sara