BC Boards

SB 250 Action Alert

btrent

Sorry for the short notice...

-- PLEASE CROSS POST EVERYWHERE --

Californians need to act NOW to stop SB 250, and save our dogs and cats.

SB 250 is scheduled for a VOTE in the Assembly Appropriations Committee tomorrow, August 27. Californians, please take the following steps:

1. if you have not already done so, fax a letter to the committee members using our Easy Letter http://saveourdogs.net/

2. call the offices of the Assembly Appropriations Committee members and ask them to oppose SB 250. It takes less than a minute to call each one and politely tell the staff member who answers the phone, or else leave a message: "Hello, I'm Joe Smith. I'm from Bigtown California, and I'm asking Assemblymember Wilson to vote NO on SB 250. Thank you."

Assembly Appropriations Committee Members

Democrats

Assemblymember Kevin de Leon - Chair

Phone: (916) 319-2045

Assemblymember Tom Ammiano

Phone: (916) 319-2013

Assemblymember Joe Coto

Phone: (916) 319-2023

Assemblymember Mike Davis

Phone: (916) 319-2048

Assemblymember Felipe Fuentes

Phone: (916) 319-2039

Assemblymember Isadore Hall III

Phone: (916) 319-2052

Assemblymember John A. Pérez

Phone: (916) 319-2046

Assemblymember Nancy Skinner

Phone: (916) 319-2014

Assemblymember Jose Solorio

Phone: (916) 319-2069

Assemblymember Tom Torlakson

Phone: (916) 319-2011

Assemblymember Charles M. Calderon

Phone: (916) 319-2058

Republicans - Do no call, they are committed NO votes

Assemblymember Connie Conway - Vice Chair

Assemblymember Audra Strickland

Assemblymember Jeff Miller

Assemblymember Diane L. Harkey

Assemblymember Jim Nielsen

Laura Sanborn

Save Our Dogs

from saveourdogs.net:

SB 250 Update

SB 250 passed today in the Assembly Appropriations Committee. We do not yet have a breakdown of the vote. It was a “B” roll call meaning that one or more assembly members voted outside of party lines.

SB 250 now moves to the full Assembly for a vote. Watch here for further updates.

27 August, 2009 (13:07) | SB 250

I am bumping this up because the amendments are now out on the bill.

If you go to the saveourdogs.net website they have a new analysis including a very to-the-point analogy of how the amendments still mean disaster for working dogs ( i.e. the story of "Rita" the insect detection dog).

Californians, please take a moment, check it out, then contact both your Senate and Assembly representatives. Ask them to vote no on SB 250.

thank you,

--Billy

Bumping this up once again...SB250 has stalled in the Assembly but could be brought back for another vote. Please keep up the pressure (copied from saveourdogs.net website):

thanks!

#############################################

SB 250 Fails on First Attempt. Please Keep up the Pressure

SB 250, the California mandatory spay/neuter bill, failed to pass the State Assembly today. The last of two votes today was 27 YES, 43 NO, 10 abstained. This is well short of the 41 YES votes needed for passage.

Under Assembly rules the bill can be brought up for a vote again later this week, so this is not the end. Yet.

Please call or fax the following Democratic Assembly Members who voted NO. Politely thank these members for their vote, and encourage them to hold the line. Bill supporters will be trying to sway these members. Your phone calls and faxes will ensure that they stay on our side.

· Joan Buchanan—(916)319–2015

· Anna Caballero—(916)319–2028

· Charles Calderon—(916)319–2058

· Wilmer Carter—(916)319–2062

· Wesley Chesbro—(916)319–2001

· Mike Davis—(916)319–2048

· Noreen Evans—(916)319–2007

· Warren Furutani—(916)319–2055

· Alyson Huber—(916)319–2010

· John Pèrez—(916)319–2046

· Manuel Pèrez—(916)319–2080

· Mary Salas—(916)319–2079

· Nancy Skinner—(916)319–2014

· Sandrè Swanson—(916)319–2016

· Norma Torres—(916)319–2061

· Mariko Yamada—(916)319–2008

The following Democratic Assembly Members did not vote or abstained. Remember that abstaining is a “polite no”, and for our purposes is just as good as a NO vote. Please call and thank them, and encourage them to hold their position. Bill supporters will be targeting these Assembly Members.

· Marty Block—(916)319–2078

· Mike Eng—(916)319–2049

· Isadore Hall—(916)319–2052

· Bonnie Lowenthal—(916)319–2054

· Fiona Ma—(916)319–2012

· William Monning—(916)319–2027

· Lori Saldaña—(916)319–2076

The remaining Democratic Assembly Members voted for the bill.

None of the Assembly Republicans voted for SB 250. We appreciate their consistent position on this issue. They also deserve our thanks, but will not be under pressure to change their votes the way their Democratic colleagues will.

8 September, 2009 (22:27) | SB 250

I am opposed to any kind of spay neuter laws. They serve no purpose and can ruin a good working dog. If passed I shall not obey the law.

I am opposed to any kind of spay neuter laws. They serve no purpose and can ruin a good working dog. If passed I shall not obey the law.

I disagree. Spaying and neutering a good working dog doesnt ruin it, although, if proven to be a good working dog that is worthy of breeding, it sure can take away from the gene pool.

If you live in California, the best thing you can do right now is contact your Assembly Member and ask them to vote no on the bill should it re-appear before them for another vote this week.

It is not at issue right now whether spay/neuter ruins a working dog who is already working. What is at issue is a much bigger problem that this legislation and others like it will -- among many other issues -- force people to choose at too young an age what makes a working dog or not. It will also greatly limit the gene pool again, among many other issues. The issues are so great and so many that I don't have time to list them all right now.

I would urge everyone to take the time to read the well-written web pages on the saveourdogs.net website about working dogs (of all types -- police k-9s, etc in addition to stock dogs) because all of that text is so much clearer than what I can write here myself.

Thank you for your support.

I disagree. Spaying and neutering a good working dog doesnt ruin it, although, if proven to be a good working dog that is worthy of breeding, it sure can take away from the gene pool.

The gene pool will be nonexistent for good working dogs of all kinds in California if this legislation passes. All of the major assitance/guide dog schools will likely be forced to find other locations for example. It is impossible to choose a working prospect, other than based upon pedigree (and we all know that a good pedigree is good information but not 100% predictable) at the young age of four to six months.

Again I cannot write the reasons up as concisely as what is already written on the saveourdogs.net website. Please take a moment to look at the working dog pages and stories. For those who live in California, please take a moment to make a phone call or a few.

thank you,

I'm VERY pleased to be able to write tonight that SB 250 has been placed in the inactive file for now. The bill is not dead yet, and could be picked up in January 2010 right where it left off, but for now, we have stopped it.

A huge THANK YOU to all who helped. It was all the letters, faxes, phone calls, emails and so forth that made a difference. :rolleyes: