BC Boards

I don't think there's a cure for the bc blues

Don't get me wrong, I adore my new pap pup, she's everything I ever wanted in a pup. She was absolutely the best choice for me now and I'm enjoying her a lot. She keeps me busy and laughing and on my toes. (We're kind of hitting the teenage years right now. I keep reminding myself it'll get better)

But.... it didn't damper my desire for a border collie in the slightest. One more thing adding up and I know for sure I'll definitely have one (or more!) in the future. After two years of research I don't doubt anymore they're for me. I just have to wait 4 years or so till it's the right time. I'm planning on going to an arena trial next month which will be my first stockdog trial since I was pretty young.

I really wish I was in an area with more border collie people though. Texas doesn't seem to have the most reputable breeders to get some hands on experience with.

Lauren,

There are some great handlers in Texas. Try Googling the Texas Stockdog Association. You can find their trials and go out and meet folks that way. There was an arena trial recently posted in the trial announcements section up above this general discussion section. Granted, Texas is a biiiiig state, but I think you should be able to find some good breeders of working border collies there. Francis Raley, the USBCHA secretary, lives in Crawford. Little Bo Boop from this forum is also in TX, and I'm sure there are others. I know people who have sent their bitches across the country to Texan Emile Ludecke's Ben. So there definitely are some decent dogs and breeders there....

ETA: I should also have noted that USBCHA president Hub Holmes is also a Texan (Sanderson).

There's a cattledog trial coming up in Quinlan, TX, Sept 5-6, the North of the River SDT in Baum, OK Sept 12-13, the Permian Basin SDT and CDT Sept 16-17 in Odessa, TX, and you can find more if you go to the USBCHA upcoming trials site.

J.

Lauren,

There are some great handlers in Texas. Try Googling the Texas Stockdog Association. You can find their trials and go out and meet folks that way. There was an arena trial recently posted in the trial announcements section up above this general discussion section. Granted, Texas is a biiiiig state, but I think you should be able to find some good breeders of working border collies there. Francis Raley, the USBCHA secretary, lives in Crawford. Little Bo Boop from this forum is also in TX, and I'm sure there are others. I know people who have sent their bitches across the country to Texan Emile Ludecke's Ben. So there definitely are some decent dogs and breeders there....

J.

Yep they're hosting a trial on Sept 26 I believe that is actually right in my town. It'd be stupid not to go. I think they have a couple more coming up that are a decent drive but not too far. I have the TSDA bookmarked, actually. I've never been to a trial that wasn't at a state fair so what should I expect? I'm sure I'll stick out of the crowd a lot and I am not the most outgoing person. I get intimidated but I do really want to learn and make sure I go about this right even though I have a few years to wait. I'd like some more hands on experience with well bred working dogs. The ones I've worked with and trained with were mostly rescues or sports bred dogs.

The only people with border collies I know around here didn't get them from breeders I would be comfortable getting dogs from.

ETA: Actually it's not even just in the same town, it's about a mile down the road.

Aggie Trial-Eye Clinic, Sept. 26, 2009, Pierce Arena Location: Pearce Pavilion, College Station Texas From North Hwy 6 to FM 2818 on north side of College Station, take Loop 2818 around town to the west, just past airport , turn left on George Bush Drive, Pavilion on the right across from athletic fields and next to horse center. From West , Hwy 21 to FM 2818, go right/south on FM 2818 to George Bush Drive (just past airport).

Expect a cozy group of friendly folks who mainly are intersted in where you are from and what brings you there. Not just polite interested but REALLY interested. And someone is sure to take you under their wing if you ask for explanations of what's going on.

You may even get a invite or two to lesson days or social events. If you make a hbait of showing up, someone will eventually stick a clipboard in your hands and point you to the judge's tent or truck. It's super casual usually, just a bunch of people with camp chairs lined watching the dogs work.

Expect a cozy group of friendly folks who mainly are intersted in where you are from and what brings you there. Not just polite interested but REALLY interested. And someone is sure to take you under their wing if you ask for explanations of what's going on.

You may even get a invite or two to lesson days or social events. If you make a hbait of showing up, someone will eventually stick a clipboard in your hands and point you to the judge's tent or truck. It's super casual usually, just a bunch of people with camp chairs lined watching the dogs work.

Super casual is good especially for me who knows literally nothing about stockdog events. But hey, we all start somewhere. :rolleyes:

My boss and good friend, Catherine Laria raises Border Collies, she's in Bulverde which is just north of San Antonio. She competes in USBCHA-sanctioned trials and in my opinion (though I am biased) she is reputable. She rarely has a litter - only when she wants a pup, and she just bred last week, so we're looking at October pups, which is alot sooner than you wanted, but there will likely be another breeding in a few years or so. Her kennel name is Whirlwind, and I think her most known trial dog right now is Twist, or Fujita6 Twister, but she also trials Fleet and Rae. If you don't want a pup from her, I'm sure she can get you in contact with other breeders who might better meet your needs.

Don't be bashful about attending trials and asking questions. Trust me, I totally stick out like a sore thumb at trials demographics-wise and have never not felt at home. You'll have a great time.

Don't be bashful about attending trials and asking questions. Trust me, I totally stick out like a sore thumb at trials demographics-wise and have never not felt at home. You'll have a great time.

Thanks both of you! October is too soon definitely, it'll at least be 2-3 years once Mia is grown up and I'll be ready for one. I'm at my pet limit by my landlord right now so that'll definitely keep it at bay for now. But I would definitely like to start networking and getting more into the culture. After I decided on breeder dog instead of a rescue for various reasons I knew it's going to be a long search to find a good breeder and gain enough knowledge to do this right. It's just very different than the breeds I'm used to (and plus I already know a lot of people in paps). So it's a big leap for me.

I'm sure I'll have a great time too. I loved watching my uncle's dogs work stock (not bcs though) and it's been years since I've watched any dogs work like that.

Hey Lauren where are you again in TX? I'm in Austin but travel a lot for work! :rolleyes: If I'm ever near you, I'd love to meet your Papillons- I've never met one in person and yours look so fun! Perhaps you could see how they did with Jude too. Hope this doesn't sound too creepy- just wondering if we might be relatively close! :D

Laurelin and Hey Jude, just wanted to pipe in my two cents here ;-) I'm from Texas (down near San Antonio) and I've mangaged to find 6 Border Collies ;-) All in Texas, All great dogs, well bred, sensible. There are plenty of good breeders in Texas, whether you want a stock/working dog, or a dog to do agility etc...with. I think Julie P mentioned it, but just go to the TSDA website, and you'll find lots of info. there. And Laurelin, if you live that close to CS, you should def. attend the aggie trial. It's always a fun trial, very laid back, and of course the added bonus of the AC ;-) I plan on running there, so come over and introduce yourself.

Betty

Thanks both of you! I will definitely be attending the aggie trial, it's about a mile away from my place. I'll definitely swing by and say hi. Hopefully I can figure out which person you are. Right now I'm just interested in more hands on experience with the breed but eventually in a few years will be adding a bc. I'd love to try stockwork but have no idea how. I currently do agility with my dogs so that's the main draw (other than companionship obviously) for me at this point.

Hey_Jude, I'd love to say hi (and I'm sure my girls would too) if you're ever around College Station/Bryan. Oh and don't worry, I'm a senior at TAMU right now so not too old. :rolleyes:

Thanks both of you! I will definitely be attending the aggie trial, it's about a mile away from my place. I'll definitely swing by and say hi. Hopefully I can figure out which person you are. Right now I'm just interested in more hands on experience with the breed but eventually in a few years will be adding a bc. I'd love to try stockwork but have no idea how. I currently do agility with my dogs so that's the main draw (other than companionship obviously) for me at this point.

Hey_Jude, I'd love to say hi (and I'm sure my girls would too) if you're ever around College Station/Bryan. Oh and don't worry, I'm a senior at TAMU right now so not too old. :rolleyes:

Sounds great! :D I don't think that's too too far from me. I will let you know when I'm in the area. Oh good, you are young! :D It's nice to find some committed young dog owners. I have many friends that have dogs, but very few that are as intense as I am about it. Look forward to maybe meeting you in the future!

I have many friends that have dogs, but very few that are as intense as I am about it.

*Snickers* BC people tend to be a bit on the intense side :rolleyes::D

I decided I wanted a BC when I was 13 and watched a friends dog working sheep. I waited 9 long years for my first one. Of course after a few years with her I found more and more dog activities to be involved with and wanted another. Now he's got a bit of training on him and I'm trying to figure out how/if I want to add a third...

Sounds great! I don't think that's too too far from me. I will let you know when I'm in the area. Oh good, you are young! It's nice to find some committed young dog owners. I have many friends that have dogs, but very few that are as intense as I am about it. Look forward to maybe meeting you in the future!

Haha, I know the feeling. All my friends have dogs but I've been banned from talking dogs in front of them. I am a bit obsessive and dogs are definitely one thing I'm obsessive about.

*Snickers* BC people tend to be a bit on the intense side

I decided I wanted a BC when I was 13 and watched a friends dog working sheep. I waited 9 long years for my first one. Of course after a few years with her I found more and more dog activities to be involved with and wanted another. Now he's got a bit of training on him and I'm trying to figure out how/if I want to add a third...

Yeah by the time this whole thing is over it'll be a 5-6 year long wait for me but I think it'll be well worth it. :D

Laurelin, I'll be running Stella, so we'll be pretty hard to miss LOL Just look for the girl running the Hyena ;-)

I was hoping you'd have her because then I'd know how to find you! Is that bad? :rolleyes:

*Snickers* BC people tend to be a bit on the intense side :D:D

Haha oh yes! BC people are by far the most intense I've ever seen! :rolleyes: I thought I was bad too.. I just assure my friends and family it gets a lot more intense than me! :D