BC Boards

What Are You Chewing On Now?

I was having breakfast this morning when Cheyenne wanted to play. It's the usual routine, I feed her and sit down to eat and she's ready to play. I told her to go get one of her stuffies and she disappeared. I saw her in the dining room a few minutes later and then heard crunching noises. None of her toys make crunching noises and I hadn't given her any crunchy treats. So, I got up to see what she had. It was a six-inch-long piece of dried out cactus from the yard. The only problem was that it was a piece with inch-long spines on it! It's from a huge cactus that I call the killer cactus. Many of the branches have 3- to 4-inch-long spines. Fortunately, she hadn't chewed that area yet. Sigh...

I know how you feel. I have three dogs aged 7, 5 and two so I have spent the better part of the past decade watching out for, What Will They Chew Next, could be a reality show.

I came home from a day of errands and found while "Dad" was in charge, the pups had shredded a stuffie in the TV room so that it appears the carpet has been snowed on, delved into the kitchen waste can for selected flotsam and jetsam and shredded a bunch of papers out of the recycling box in the study....he swears he wasn't snoozing and that the pups were with him all the time, plus he only got home an hour before me and part of the time he was playing outside with the pups....

The other day, I left Cheyenne home so I could run some errands. Usually I take her with me to my office. I lock her in my bedroom, which has a doggie door. When I got home, I saw my fanny pack outside on the patio. It had been on the bookshelf. After scolding her about that, I started picking up a few other things she had knocked about outside. I asked her "what else did you steal?" She immediately ran to the front gate, where I found the well-chewed toilet paper roll and the roll holder from my bathroom. I had forgotten to close the door, so it was my fault. So, I tried again and asked "what else?" Suddenly, she turned, grabbed at something, and I saw that she had my favorite hair scrunchy in her mouth. Got that back and again asked the question. This time, she sat still so I figured I had everything. She is a character.

Scooter likes to play with my head. He can make the smallest crumb on the floor sound and look like a real feast, which of course gets the desired response. "What are you eating?!!!" :rolleyes:

The other day, I left Cheyenne home so I could run some errands. Usually I take her with me to my office. I lock her in my bedroom, which has a doggie door. When I got home, I saw my fanny pack outside on the patio. It had been on the bookshelf. After scolding her about that, I started picking up a few other things she had knocked about outside. I asked her "what else did you steal?" She immediately ran to the front gate, where I found the well-chewed toilet paper roll and the roll holder from my bathroom. I had forgotten to close the door, so it was my fault. So, I tried again and asked "what else?" Suddenly, she turned, grabbed at something, and I saw that she had my favorite hair scrunchy in her mouth. Got that back and again asked the question. This time, she sat still so I figured I had everything. She is a character.

rotflmfao :rolleyes:

Funny!

Sky is really good about not chewing/playing with anything but her dog things. BUT, if you leave certain items on the floor by mistake, there are a few she cannot resist: boxes of tissues, pencils and pens. If those are on the coffee table, which she can easily reach despite being so small, they are completely safe from her. She won't even touch the pizza or fried chicken on the coffee table, if we eat in the living room -- and yes, you can leave the room, she won't touch anything. Pizza on the floor .. another story. :)

Don't know if anyone trained her, or if she was just born polite. :)

Our cat Lene, she would knock things of shelves to get your attention, or chew on indoor plants or lick plastic bags .. all very deliberate acts, that she would stop as soon as you did whatever she wanted (get up at 3 am for the fun of it, play with her, feed her). I miss that little devil.

My first BC ate holes through the kitchen wall in 3 places, the back door, the basement door, the bathroom door and the kitchen cabinets. These holes were through the entire wall and large enough for an adult to crawl through. The repairs cost about $20,000. He also ate a couch (we needed a new one anyway), countless shoes and other assorted items I have long since tried to forget about. You would think that would be the end of dog ownership for me, but instead I learned how to keep a BC occupied and bought more, and more, and more... Hang on, does that mean I lost my mind? :rolleyes:

Kipp is a chewer of radom things he picks up on the floor. Pens, papers, stuffed animals, socks. He always seems so pleased with himself when he finds something new. He also found the stash of pig ears. In the morning ater we got up, went out, did our morning routine, he come back in trot down to the basement and come back a minute later with his pig ear to chew on. It took me alot longer to figure out wher I hid them than it took him to find them.

This is hillarious - especially that we went through a significant chewing phase until he reached 1 year old. Since then, he is just pleased at stealing stuff and running around the house with the objects, hoping to provoke a chase :D He is so disapointed when we don't listen :rolleyes: The chase goes from one end of the apt to the other - it's a long apt :D - and with the obligatory turn in the bed, pushing all the bedding on the floor, and grinning like a fool :D We just had one last night - all he was playing with was an empty water bottle, and throwing the cap in the air and catching it, but at one point, he decided I wanted his plastic cap so he started the race. Since we have a crazy old lady downstairs who's been known to knock in her ceilling (our floor), I couldn't stop him soon enough from his breakneck race :D

Several weeks ago by accident I left a backpack on the floor with a giant rawhide sticking out. I went into the bathroom to take a shower and assumed Kit was lying in front of the bathroom door counting down the minutes, as always. WRONG! She had, of course, stolen the rawhide. When I finished my shower and came out, she had it in her theiving little paws. But as I went to snatch it and scold her, I realized that it was completely untouched. Not even a corner of it was nibbled! She was looking at me like "Looky what I found! Can I have some, pretty please???" After that heroic effort, I couldn't deny her.

Anna used to eat soap. Entire bars, with no ill effect. The first time it happened, I couldn't imagine what happened to the bar of soap in the shower, it was just gone. The next time, I caught her in the act chewing it up on her bed. After that we had to keep the bathroom door closed, or else.

Ripley is pretty good and not much of a chewer (would rather retrieve), although he does enjoy shredding magazines.

This is hillarious - especially that we went through a significant chewing phase until he reached 1 year old. Since then, he is just pleased at stealing stuff and running around the house with the objects, hoping to provoke a chase :D He is so disapointed when we don't listen :rolleyes: The chase goes from one end of the apt to the other - it's a long apt :D - and with the obligatory turn in the bed, pushing all the bedding on the floor, and grinning like a fool :D We just had one last night - all he was playing with was an empty water bottle, and throwing the cap in the air and catching it, but at one point, he decided I wanted his plastic cap so he started the race. Since we have a crazy old lady downstairs who's been known to knock in her ceilling (our floor), I couldn't stop him soon enough from his breakneck race :D

WOW. Daisy does the exact same thing. She will "steel" my hair bands, socks, used kleenex and napkins if it means we'll chase her with it. She will come trotting in whatever room we're in oh so proud. Lay down with the object between her front legs and look at us in a very coy way and give a little ruf. She even used our bed as a turning platform. Now that we have hardwood everywhere, she doesn't do this as much anymore!

Cheyenne ate soap once, and barfed it up in my truck. It was the little leftover scrap that I had put in the wrapper of the new bar and thrown out. She loves to dig in my bathroom wastebasket and pull paper and other stuff out. I still need to get one with a closing top like I got for the kitchen.

When I leave her in the big crate (my bedroom) for the day, I have to make sure anything that is fabric is up high on the bookshelves otherwise it's fair game. I also have to hide the Pendelton that I usually throw on my bed and put an old sheet on instead. The first time I left her home with the Pendleton, she chewed several pieces of fringe off. Oh yeah, she also loves to strip the fuzz off of tennis balls. I only let her have tennis balls in thehouse so they stay clean, but then she started "stripping" them. At least she gets a nice safe rubber ball for outside when she's done. :rolleyes:

I've got to have a good story with all the stuff they've chewed on! Geez...let me think...

Ok, when they were still under a year we left the pups (Gunnar and Rhea at this point) out with my cousin to "watch" them while he was home. Yeah..not so much. They got into my turtle filters that I had just bought and were sitting on the couch...activated carbon (charcoal) allllll over the house and especially rubbed into the carpets. Rhea's little white nose...definitely black.

After a while of crating them in the day we started trying to leave them out while we were at work. Everything went fine for a while and then they (Gunnar, Rhea and Masi) began to have an affinity for our DVD's...they'd take a DVD off the shelf and chew, chew, chew the cover up. They especially liked the Old School DVD...hardly anything left of that one.

After this they went back into the kennels for a month or so...then we tried it again, leaving them out in the day...this time Rhea started getting into the garbage...which sucked but we didn't want to give up hope yet! Until the day they all got into the garbage that had a left over cake in it with very very very red frosting....you can imagine the color of the carpet after that.

But hey, now they're in the bonus room of our new house and so far so good! *knocks on wood*