BC Boards

The Peril of Animal Rescue Volunteer Work

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto on the KC possibility. Even if the dog was vaccinated, the vaccination isn't going to help, if the dog had already been exposed. Plus, kennel cough is a complex viral/bacterial infection that has several different causes. So, even if the dog was vaccinated, it won't necessarily protect her, if she is not vaccinated against the particular viral strain that started the infection.

Also, if it is HW causing her to cough (not likely; it's probably kc), you might be interested in reading this abstract* regarding a new approach to treating HW disease. I just had a dog into the vet on Monday and we were discussing this new (sort of) treatment approach. I think this is going to be the wave of the future, once more vets are on board. It's a heck of a lot safer than the old method, though the old method is generally safe for mild to moderate infestations. But, this new approach will be much easier on the dog (and owner).

* Take away message: Ivermectin plus doxycycline (with or without Immiticide) over the course of several months was just as effective, yet safer, as Immiticide alone (traditional method). There was no incidence of thromboembelism like there can be with the traditional Immiticide treatment (either two back-to-back shots, or one shot followed by two back-to-back shots 4 weeks later). Oh, and MUCH cheaper.

Congrats Mary, on your new little friend! Vala looks really cute, and it sounds like she is very happy already to be with you. It's always a gamble of sorts to take in a new pet, but from your description of her I think you have every reason to be able to expect a wonderful outcome this time around.

My dog had kennel cough when I brought her home, slight coughing and runny nose, but it never really slowed her down, and after the vet visit and vaccination, it went way very quickly. I have no experience with heartworm, but from everything I've heard and read, it too is curable. I understand your worries, though, I am myself a worrier -- especially about my husband and daughter and our pets. Keeping my fingers crossed that Vala is ok.

Good luck, and more pictures please! :)

Well, we're back from the vet and she has heartworms, hookworms, and kennel cough. (She's been treated for the latter two already but she has them anyway.) Thankfully the vet thinks it's probably the kennel cough that's making her cough, not advanced heartworm disease. So she's on a 3-day treatment for the hookworms, and a 7 day course of antibiotics for the KC. We're supposed to take her back in a week after she's gained more energy and weight - we're supposed to feed her twice the normal amount - as much as she'll eat - to help her get up the energy to beat the KC and the parasites. I'm upset about the heartworms but honestly I was prepared for this... she's obviously lived outside all her life, why wouldn't she have them? It would be a very rare outside dog who would actually be on heartworm preventative around here, sadly.

The good news is she's gained two pounds since her last weigh in and is now 27.1 pounds (assuming the scales were all calibrated correctly). And she's getting more energetic by the day. And she still has yet to show an ounce of aggression despite everything she's been through. In fact she is the sweetest natured dog I've ever met (ok maybe barring this labrador retriever/basset mix we kept outside when I was a kid). But she didn't even get nervous at the vet, she was walking up to new people and sitting politely to get pet in the waiting room (um, this was before we found out she probably had KC - immediately after I mentioned that possibility they went behind us and sprayed, thank goodness it was early and there weren't other dogs in the waiting room). Anyway after we got back from the vet, there was an incident with the cats this morning (she wanted to sniff Boogie, the elder guy) and Boogie feinted a swipe at her, and the other cat ran in to back him up, and after I saw how she didn't react at all to everything the vet did, I felt comfortable enough swooping in and picking her up to get her out of harms way (she was crying). I swear there is not an aggressive bone in her body.

MaryP, I have switched vets to a new vet - whom I love love love compared to our last vet - recommended by the volunteer coordinator at LACC, and he is already talking about doing DC and Ivermectin. Exactly what you describe, and only doing the intensive treatment way down the road later if necessary maybe (not sure I understood - he may have been trying to decide, talking aloud, about which course to take). But in the end he said we'd start DC and preventative in a week or so. I will talk to him about it more later. We are supposed to bring her back in about a week, heavier and hookworm and KC-less, and then we will start her on the Ivermectin and DC and give her her rabies vaccine, which the vet did not want to do today just because there was so much going on and he didn't want to make her feel any more under the weather at this point.

More pictures later today, I'm juggling a lot between interspecies separation and supervision and first week of classes. But I am very, very happy, because everyone is optimistic that she'll get through this and both my husband and I are amazed at what a great dog she is. Super sweet, and humble, and sensitive, just the sweetest natured animal I've ever met in my life. And of course irrepressibly happy - when she's not tired - and smart. She really is a wonderful dog!

Congratulations!

I don't know how your vet approaches heartworm but I just had someone else's dog treated for heartworm this summer. The vet who did the treatment was much more laid back about it than my vet who did my Ben's treatment (of course he sees a lot more of it too) and only required three weeks of crate rest and then allowed onleash walks rather than the 8 weeks of crate rest that my vet recommended. I think we did two injections (he was at the vet's for two day) for both dogs. They always look horrible for a couple of days and then they start to perk back up.

Good luck!

Lisa

Sounds like a pretty good report, overall! Your new vet sounds great. And Vala sounds like Grace Under Pressure personified. Bless her.

Just a note about the hookworms -- you'll want to be very careful to clean up after Vala for a while. If she has them bad, the first round of treatment may not get them all, so you'll probably want to run additional fecal tests in the future, especially if Vala's potty area could be contaminated. Also, hookworms can be transmitted to humans and cats -- not all that easily, but it is possible. You'll probably want to do some research on that. At least they're not all that hard to get rid of, compared to some other things!

(For instance, once roundworms have encysted in the muscle tissue, you basically CAN'T get rid of them; they tend to go on re-emerging now and then whenever the host animal is stressed.)

Best of luck with the heartworm treatment. Again, your new vet sounds both progressive AND reasonable. Wahoo!

The dog-cat interactions sound like they'll be manageable, especially if Vala maintains the nice, long fuse she's already demonstrated she has. It'll probably take the cat(s) longer to forgive her for existing, than for Vala to learn what level of interaction is acceptable. Apart from typical feline territorial anxiety, remember, their last experience was with poor troubled Pan -- who no doubt made a strong impression. They have every reason not to trust another dog right away.

All in all -- doing a subdued little happy happy joy joy dance dance under my desk for you!

Thanks again for keeping us posted,

Liz S (during lunch break) in PA

But I am very, very happy, because everyone is optimistic that she'll get through this and both my husband and I are amazed at what a great dog she is. Super sweet, and humble, and sensitive, just the sweetest natured animal I've ever met in my life. And of course irrepressibly happy - when she's not tired - and smart. She really is a wonderful dog!

:rolleyes: And a very lucky dog too!!! Congrats on your new addition, I'm so happy for you . I'll look forward to hearing her progress and seeing her prosper in your care.

Just a note about the hookworms -- you'll want to be very careful to clean up after Vala for a while. If she has them bad, the first round of treatment may not get them all, so you'll probably want to run additional fecal tests in the future, especially if Vala's potty area could be contaminated. Also, hookworms can be transmitted to humans and cats -- not all that easily, but it is possible. You'll probably want to do some research on that. At least they're not all that hard to get rid of, compared to some other things!

OK, thanks for the heads up! I used to just let Pan go in a particular area of the backyard and compost it, but I will clean up tonight and then put some plastic baggies out in the backyard for me and my husband. I'm sure he won't mind complying with this for a while! He's totally smitten with Vala. Every time she wags his tail at him (which is literally every time he calls her name or she lays eyes on him, even after just leaving the room for a minute or two), he says it breaks his heart. :rolleyes:

Vala sounds like Grace Under Pressure personified. Bless her.

And don't they say the you that appears in times of crisis is the real you? So basically Vala is an angel, right? :rolleyes:

Apart from typical feline territorial anxiety, remember, their last experience was with poor troubled Pan -- who no doubt made a strong impression. They have every reason not to trust another dog right away.

Yeah this is true and I don't blame them for it! Also, we didn't get Nyxie until after we got Pan, and Nyx actually -- bizarrely and inexplicably, considering the size difference and Pan's random occasional raging against her -- seemed to like hanging out with Pan, perhaps because they were a kitten and puppy together, so she never really bonded much with Algebar. But the cats really bonded this last month when we left the two of them together when we went to San Antonio for a week, having my good friend come by to care for them, and when we came back they were CLOSE. Like we started finding them together at all times, sharing a sunbeam, finding their twin catnip-filled kangaroo toys in a row on the bed when we came home... So now they're poised to be united against Vala if necessary, and yes, it totally makes sense after Pan. It will just take some time.

More Vala personality news: the poor dear is scared of thunder. DH just called me to gush about it. He thought it was incredibly sad and cute how she wanted to run inside while they were outside using the restroom, when the sky rumbled, how she tried to get into her kennel and hide there but couldn't because he'd left the door shut and so she ran about back of the kennel in our bedroom and got stuck. Now she is riding out the storm in the kennel, and I instructed DH give her a Quiet Moments (an herbal/natural mild tryptophan supplement that even seemed to work for Pan for a little while, which is particularly marketed as having a mild calming effect on dogs, especially for thunderstorms - I want to give Vala as little medicine as possible since she's naturally such a great dog, but I think this stuff is pretty mild - like giving her a bunch of turkey or something). Any other advice to help her feel better about thunder? (My guess would be desens--like try to change the negative association with thunder for positive association with really high quality treat--this so makes sense for an outside dog.)

(typing this from between classes, in office hours...)

I'm sorry about the heartworm news. :rolleyes: BUT, it sounds like you and your vet have a good plan.

Her reaction to the thunder doesn't sound too bad, to me at least. If she were seriously thunderphobic, I think you'd have seen a much worse reaction. Alex is nervous when it thunders, and wants to get in as fast as possible, and I don't consider him thunderphobic. If she feels comfortable and safe in her crate, then that's a good place for her.

Daisy is not afraid of thunder like most dogs are. She doesn't hide or shake or drool or anything, but she does turn to face the direction of the thunder to bark at it. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me. The best thing I've found to help her through this (and yes, I've tried treats and everything) is to just ignore her. Eventually she realized it's no big deal and stopped worrying about so much. I know this may or may not work for Vala, but it's my 2 cents.

I just wanted to say good luck with your new friend, she is very cute.

Sitting next to me panting away is a very old survivor (not a BC but GSD mix) of heartworm. I had Jester for over almost 2 years when she was diagnosed (the vets think the test did not show when she was at the shelter as it was not established) and then I had her on heartguard.

Any way 2 nasty injections later and a month under house and garden arrest, she wasn't crated, I just did not take her for walks. That was 11.5 years ago ( we think she is about 14.5) and although slow the doggy love of my life is still with us.

My dog used to be much more afraid of thunder when I first brought him home. He was about 2 years old then, and had been a street dog early on, and later shuffled around to various shelters.

I think just having a pattern - knowing that he's allowed to go under the bed or lie next to me if it's really loud - makes him more comfortable. They say thunderphobia often shows up at age 6 or 7, though, so I'm worried that in the next year or two, the phobia may become more intense.

Definitely give Vala a "safe place."

Mary

Daisy is not afraid of thunder like most dogs are. She doesn't hide or shake or drool or anything, but she does turn to face the direction of the thunder to bark at it. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me. The best thing I've found to help her through this (and yes, I've tried treats and everything) is to just ignore her. Eventually she realized it's no big deal and stopped worrying about so much. I know this may or may not work for Vala, but it's my 2 cents.

Thanks, it seemed like Dr Haug said ignoring was best for almost everything, so I will keep that in mind. I haven't seen the RXN yet, only heard DH's description, so I don't know for sure how serious it is or isn't yet... It sure doesn't sound bad though.

Although apparently DH wanted to take her with him to come pick me up from work after the storm (we live super close to both our workplaces and share a car) but she wouldn't come out of her kennel for him - but she came right out when I got home, excitedly, I'm wondering if it was the way he approached the kennel... I was super cheery walking into the room, announcing a positive experience to come... Maybe he just checked in on her worried sounding or something. I'll have to ask him.

AND, AT THE RISK OF REPEATING MYSELF, MORE ON HOW VALA IS AN AMAZINGLY GOOD DOG: Today on our walk she literally bowed down to try to get a very obstinate standoffish arms-folded 3 year old to pet her from about fifteen feet off - the kid had shown interest initially, as we walked toward his yard, then turned away and pretended not to be interested all of a sudden when Vala saw him, as if he didn't like or was afraid of dogs. But she wanted to interact with him (she tries to sit and get pet from ALL strangers, she's super social and friendly) so she sat down about ten feet off from him, wagging her tail sweetly and politely looking at him, ears down, at the edge of his lawn like PLEASE, PET ME, bowing down lower and lower, as if trying to invite him toward her, while I giggled for a second. But before I could tell her "good girl, Vala, leave it, come" the kid said in a petulant tone, "No! Don't let that dog come on my lawn." (Thanks kid, I actually think she was inviting you, not the other way around, and I wouldn't have let her on your lawn, or you touch her, anyway... :rolleyes:) But she was so sweet to him (politely from a distance requesting attention--soooo humbly and sweetly) that after this display the kid followed us after we crossed the road on his toddler 4 wheeler jeep looking thing and kept parking right in front of us and staring at us from like five feet off. At this point, Vala just ignored him like I was. (I've noticed she watches me on walks and models my behavior a lot. I was shaking my head internally. This kid!) Eventually after like the third time the kid followed us and parked to watch us, I told her "all done" about some grass she was sniffing (very intently) and "come on" and she happily trotted along with me as the kid's dad called him off. She is just such a good dog!

So happy for you all! Minor set back on health issues, but hey, comes with the territory! She is certainly a beautiful girl!

Health issues are a billion times easier to fix than behavioral ones. I'm not kidding. Vala deserves help recovering her physical health! She is such a good dog!

Pansmom,

I am so glad to hear that Vala is doing so well, health issues aside. One thing that concerns me, though, is the lack of pictures!!! :rolleyes:

- Yet another Mary (Is it weird that there are so many Marys on this board? I don't think I know a single other Mary in RL!)

Yeaahhh for ValasMom

Getting back on the horse is a good thing as long as its with your eyes open and yours seem wide open to me. Plus the "horse" seems to be a good one.

The rescues I've been around from beginning to happy ending were all a bit like you describe Vala. Shy and timid at frist.

Be aware, things change quickly as they begin to bloom. Goes both ways, some better, and some you'll wish never showed up. But the trust will be started already so most things are dealalbe and doable.

I had one comment to make reguarding cats. I would totally aree with Julie that I've not seen to many dogs that can't be dealt with around cats, but I do have one of my own cat issue dogs. He was raised with his own kitty and was just fine. Then we brought home a ferel kitty and this kitty had dog issues to begin with. He started out growling at the dogs and never quit. Ended up making Mick a cat hatter. All cats. It's an on going battle that I haven't been able to win.....yet....but I'm going to keep trying.

In fact I'm getting ready to let my son get a kitty. I worry about trying this again but for my son I'm willing to try and I just don't believe that a dog (or my dog) will never be able to get over their issues if worked with in a proper manner. I now have a house that if need be can be split into seperate cat dog areas so they could each have their own if all else fails. I'll keep you posted.

Guess I tell this story to warn you about watching your cats making sure they don't make anything happen that could keep you from making progress with your new love.

And a comment on the kid thing. My dogs are pretty stable with a few glitches but stable all the same. They have never really been around kids so I worried about bringing my grand son here for a week. It was a bit of an issue to start with as the dogs were quite nervous with a little boy running all over the house singing or screaming, but in the end it was great and my GS learned quickly how to command the dogs in a manner that they would mind him.

The dogs that I thought would have issues loved the little booger but Dew my youngest thought my 2 year old grandson needed to never be able to run. Dew learned quickly that she was not the boss of my GS and all ended well. I never did take my eye off any of them while they were together, but I felt very safe and satisfied with the whole week!

Mick and I also found out that he just loves kids and dirty faces! I referred to him as the washrag by the end of the week! Being a big almost all black dog he is quite scary looking but he was Covie's (GS) favorite dog. THey danced and ran all over my empty house together! When my daughter was here, Mick made her nervous (the big black dog thing) but Covie wasn't put off in the least!

Congrats for caring enough to learn so much and jumping in feet first again. I think your gonna do great!