BC Boards

English National

Shoofly

Kind of a dumb question I'll throw out to anyone looking at the results...does the pen in the photo with Eamonn and Bill seem large? The fence seems rather higher than I'm used to and the whole thing seems bigger than usual (in the northeast anyway). Am I seeing things? Maybe I should get back out on a trial field? :rolleyes:

Kind of a dumb question I'll throw out to anyone looking at the results...does the pen in the photo with Eamonn and Bill seem large? The fence seems rather higher than I'm used to and the whole thing seems bigger than usual (in the northeast anyway). Am I seeing things? Maybe I should get back out on a trial field? :rolleyes:

Megan, I think for over there the pen is supposed to be 8' x 9' with a 6 ft rope. I don't think there is any regulation of how tall it can be.

Jim Cropper's Fleet and Dan look to be really big dogs.

You know, I was thinking the same. My dogs are both good sized boys (42 and 50#, and tall), and look to be about the size of Fleet and Dan. Most of the dogs in the English Nationals photos seem big. What I see mostly at clinics and such here is smaller, shorter dogs. Of course, I don't get out that much, and I am new to the whole business, so I have a lot to experience still.

Thanks for the link, Robin!

Karrin

We did brace demos at the lunch break at the 2000 Western States Regionals (the first Regionals). I remember Liz Hubbard ran Ked and Hap, both very black, smooth coated Border Collies (father & son) and you really couldn't tell them apart. Ian Caldicott is a huge supporter of brace work and I think he might have staged some brace demos or competitions in the past. I'd love to see it get going over here, although I don't have a brace team at the moment.

I also would like to see us get started with driving championships.

Amy

Hey, what's a brace? Probably everyone else knows, but I have never heard the term. Please explain!

Karrin

"Brace" = Working a group of sheep with two dogs (at the same time).

I, too, would like to see it over here. I've always wondered why

it never caught on.

charlie

"Brace" = Working a group of sheep with two dogs (at the same time).

I, too, would like to see it over here. I've always wondered why

it never caught on.

charlie

I have seen this with my novice eyes, but I thought that maybe it was for training a younger, inexperienced dog. I assume that is not at all to which you refer. Thanks for explaining!

Karrin

I've never seen one here.

Jim's dogs look extra big because they're closer to the camera than he is, though to be fair, Jim is a *big* guy. I'd say they're on the larger side but not huge by any means.

Even given the camera angle, I agree that they do seem to be big dogs.

I've seen a brace demo but never a competition. As far as catching on in the US, isn't the interest rather limited in the UK as well, with low entries, and being run during the lunch break? I don't mean that NA does as the UK does, but it's my impression--perhaps mistaken--that it's just not the popular overseas and therefore not really going to draw significant attention to it?

Jim Cropper's Fleet and Dan look to be really big dogs.

When I was in Scotland for the International a couple years back, a couple of the dog appeared to be, well, big. I got a dog in rescue now, Chuck, who is a big boy and reminds me of the dogs I'd seen when I was there. Also, someone told me that there was a person in this part of the country who would occasionally trial and had a couple of male dogs who were big as well. I'm thinking maybe Chuck, if purebred, might go back to that person's dogs???? I know he reminds me of that one dog with Jim Cropper.