BC Boards

I hate that dog

I can subscribe to the thinking that if most dogs in a group dont like a dog it might be something wrong with the specific dog.

What I'm having a hard time with is you take 2 dogs who can get along with large groups of dogs but, cant spend a second in the same room. Currently I'm thinking of 2 males rescued from the same place so there is likely a back story I dont know but, a dog who I would have judged to be super nice turned into super fighter.

I would chase him one way and he would be right back in he fight from another side. I was stunned. I also didnt notice real body language when the new dog walked in.

What's your guys theories on this?? Do this look like a face you need to hate with a passion?? lol

post-5554-1250726397_thumb.jpg

My theory: not all people get along, therefore, it is silly to expect all animals to get along. Some dogs will have incompatible personalities and never get along. Some dogs, like some people, have a set of personality traits that makes it much harder for them to get along with others.

My theory: not all people get along, therefore, it is silly to expect all animals to get along. Some dogs will have incompatible personalities and never get along. Some dogs, like some people, have a set of personality traits that makes it much harder for them to get along with others.

So, do you think they remember they dont like a certain dog. These dogs from what I understand werent even kenneled in the same exact area.

They were though on the same property.

We dont kennel them together but, they are in the same building/room. They are sent to different areas to exercise. Their meeting was a complete accident.

I am used to an arguement starting over cheap shots or constantly annoying someone. This was too subtle to see.

My dog ABSOLUTELY remembers who he likes and who he doesn't like. If he's had a stare-down or snarking fest with a dog on Tuesday, and we see the same dog on Saturday, Buddy immediately tenses up. He can learn to desensitize to the dog, if there's a reason to work on it, but he remembers.

Buddy will also take an immediate dislike, or an immediate liking, to dogs we've never met before. I would love the answer to the "why" of that. He will start to show signs of "like" from 25 yards - so it's gotta be body language or smell.

Mary

My two males hate each other. I believe Craig is jealous of Taz and sees him as a rival. Taz started out neutral to Craig, but after getting into a fight when Craig first arrived and being the recipient of frequent drive-by nips from Craig, Taz now hates him right back. It's a bummer, but I am sure the dynamics between those two will never change. Sigh.

Buddy will also take an immediate dislike, or an immediate liking, to dogs we've never met before. I would love the answer to the "why" of that. He will start to show signs of "like" from 25 yards - so it's gotta be body language or smell.

Mary

I've noticed this in our obedience class. Robin cozies up to the Aussie (she's really pretty :rolleyes: and is comfortable with the Husky. He thinks the Irish Wolfhound is a goat, and is wary of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier - last week he tried out the Border Collie stare on this dog when I wasn't paying attention and it caused quite a ruckus. Apparently these dogs don't like to be stared at and its a good thing we were some distance away or Robin would have been lunch, I think. We weren't chastised though -- the instructor put it all on the other dog and his owner who really can't control him.

As for disagreements, our Ladybug doesn't like any other dog except "ours". She reserves a special contempt for German Shepherds for some unknown reason.

She read Scotty (an adult male rescue BC) the rule book pretty clearly when he set paw on the property - after six months he was allowed to breathe. But by the time he died, they were great friends. She got along fine with the pups when they came....they can climb all over her, eat her food and generally cause a ruckus, but they can't touch her ball.

I did notice some unwanted behavior yesterday for the first time. Ladybug and Brodie (Robin's littermate) are pretty tight because they are both "Ken's dogs" -- i.e. spend the most time on his lap. :D They ganged up on Robin in the yard and it seemed like play at first, but it really wasn't. He was quite intimidated, got away and came immediately to me. I set Ladybug straight on who pushes who around. Hope that stops it. I won't tolerate any scrapping among them. I can't be worried about which one to let out when. They're all house dogs and I'm the "Big Dawg" in this house. :D.

Our former foster Trip HATED Poke with a passion. He lived with us for 6 months and we were not able to drop our gaurd for even a moment. The things that set him off were slight. I don't know to this day what, if anything besides my dog's presence, would set Trip off. I learned instead to notice Trip's build up to an attack. Literally it was the equivelent of muttering under his breath before going for my dog's throat.

I think a lot of Trip's dislike of Poke was that he is a fairly dominant male. Trip is living with a harem of female border collies now and hasn't ever had a single problem. On top of the male aspect, Trip hated Poke for being Poke. He was growly around other males, but never went after them like Poke. Poke just rubbed Trip the wrong way.

He thinks the Irish Wolfhound is a goat, and is wary of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier - last week he tried out the Border Collie stare on this dog when I wasn't paying attention and it caused quite a ruckus. Apparently these dogs don't like to be stared at and its a good thing we were some distance away or Robin would have been lunch, I think. We weren't chastised though -- the instructor put it all on the other dog and his owner who really can't control him.

Actually lots of dogs don't appreciate being stared at, it's not necessarily a staffy thing. Just throwing that out there to maybe avoid future issues.

I agree that like people, some dogs just don't like each other. And I also believe that they remember a dog from a previous scuffle or issue and the dislike will live on. And, often there is some kind of doggie body language or vibe that the dogs are getting that signal a problem that we're just not picking up on.

Alex generally likes all other dogs, and even if he doesn't engage them, he is pleasant around them. The exception to this is one particular dog on our flyball team. He's the only dog I've ever seen Alex get snarky with regularly. There is just *something* in this dog's demeanor or body language that Alex doesn't like. He'll avoid the other dog if he can, but if the other dog gets too close (which I obviously don't let happen if I can help it), he will warn him to back off.

How about the dogs that you hate and your dog ends up hating them? I don't mean to hi-jack this thread but when I read the title all I could think about was the dog 'I hate' in my agility class.

It's a shepherd that barks and lunges (bares teeth) at Chase in agility class and it seems like it only targets my little border collie. I tend to do alot of watching the dogs and owners and from the 1st day I had bad vibes about this dog. I don't like its body language when it approaches other dogs, other dogs seem very submissive to it right away. If it approached my aussie the way it approaches other dogs, there would be a fight. I have shepherds and would ever let them greet other dogs that way and there would also be no lunging going on. (It's the owner, not the dog.)

Chase probably feels my *hate* vibes and every time the dog is too close to Chase, he lays down. ugh! It's also been corrected in class for blowing the owner off and trying to go visit the other dogs and Chase doesn't like the yelling. I'm working on my feelings and keeping Chase comfortable and confident and able to handle these sorts of things he will encounter throughout his life.

Again, sorry to hi-jack but 'I hate that dog' :rolleyes:

Michele &

Gypsy &

Hughie &

Chase

Actually lots of dogs don't appreciate being stared at, it's not necessarily a staffy thing. Just throwing that out there to maybe avoid future issues.

Absolutely...and the incident made me more aware of his actions - Now when we're not actively doing something, I am constantly checking to see where his attention is focused.

This week, he was pretty good. Just generally interested in everything.

BTW, after unnerving the staffordshire, Robin immediately turned his attention to the Anatolian Shepherd (what a beautiful dog,!) and you could just read in the shepherd's expression, "Beat it, kid. You're not old enough for those tricks."

How about the dogs that you hate and your dog ends up hating them? I don't mean to hi-jack this thread but when I read the title all I could think about was the dog 'I hate' in my agility class.

It's a shepherd that barks and lunges (bares teeth) at Chase in agility class and it seems like it only targets my little border collie. I tend to do alot of watching the dogs and owners and from the 1st day I had bad vibes about this dog. I don't like its body language when it approaches other dogs, other dogs seem very submissive to it right away. If it approached my aussie the way it approaches other dogs, there would be a fight. I have shepherds and would ever let them greet other dogs that way and there would also be no lunging going on. (It's the owner, not the dog.)

Chase probably feels my *hate* vibes and every time the dog is too close to Chase, he lays down. ugh! It's also been corrected in class for blowing the owner off and trying to go visit the other dogs and Chase doesn't like the yelling. I'm working on my feelings and keeping Chase comfortable and confident and able to handle these sorts of things he will encounter throughout his life.

Again, sorry to hi-jack but 'I hate that dog' :rolleyes:

Michele &

Gypsy &

Hughie &

Chase

Chase probably noticed the same things you did -- perhaps even before you did - he likely formed his own independent dislike and his actions (as well as the other dogs) are intended to not provoke a fight he thinks he can't win. Not to be too cruel to the shepherd, but someone needs to show him that he isn't top dog before there's a real problem.

Have you tried talking quietly with the instructor about your concerns?

As a general rule, Annie loves everyone and everything (except squirrels, which she believes should be eradicated from the planet). There are, however, two notable exceptions. Annie dislikes ALL Brittany Spaniels (bad experience with one when she was a pup) and Akitas (I don't know why; she just seems to dislike them based on general principles). She also remembers unpleasant encounters with individual dogs, and usually steers clear of them.

ejano - (sorry I haven't taken the time to learn how to use the quote function)... I have spoken to the instructor quietly and it kind of back-fired on me. Even though some in my class spoke to me privately about this problem dog, no one was willing to speak up when they were questioned by the instructor. All of the other dogs in the class seem to submit to this dog, it's never challenged so there's no problem or so that seems to be the attitude people are taking. I'm the wierdo I guess. I even protested by not going to class once and they all knew why. When they convinced me to return to class, they were really on top of the dog (not necessarily how I would show who's the boss with a dog like that -- I have experience with the breed and have been through the fire that way), but it seemed under better control and the owner is more aware. Still I feel like I have to have eyes on the back of my head because the owner does get lazy or thinks her dog is reliable because it hasn't lunged or blew her off in a couple of classes but I know the breed and the wheels are always turning. So I have to make sure my sensitive BC doesn't have a bad experience because that would sure be the end of Chasey-boy for a long time.

And getting back to the original topic, yes, I do believe Chase had a very good read on that dog before I did! He for sure shows me he wants no confrontation. Smart little thing that he is.

Every week, he remembers the dog, every week he tries to avoid the dog. They remember. The aussie, well, she certainly wouldn't start any trouble but she sure isn't one that would submit to a dog like that.

I do have options, the instructor knows how I feel, and until I work something else out I'll keep the eyes on the back of my head :rolleyes:

Thank you!

Michele &

Gypsy &

Hughie &

Chase

I havent really beenable to pinpoint lol, Misty hates all large red dogs. they could be the nicest dog in the world but she launches into a barking, snarling, frothing at the mouth monster dog upon sight of one. example, we were at petsmart one day, there were 2 dobermans there, both docked and cropped, 1 was black the the was red, both very friendly. Misty had no problem with the black one, greeted him totally normally etc.. the red one walked past 5 isles away and she turned into a barking snarling monster, I dragged her out of sight of the dog, saw dog again later, and immedily back to snarling and barking. the entire time we were at the store I has to somehow keep her from spotting this dog lol. or at my friends houses, I have a friend with dogs, 1 is a big red Golden, the other 2 are not red. Misty is totally fine with the non red smaller dogs, but is out the kill the Golden. or at a seminar I had her at, someone was there with 2 pitties, 1 fawn the other red, she loved the fawn one, but hated the red one.

for Happy there are just some dogs she doesnt like, all Schnuazers seem to fall into that catagory, but there is also a random one, a pyrenese/Heeler, Happy just hates this dog! I dont know why, she is hardly obnoxious, she is a very lazy, very laid back dog. and Happy cannot be in the same room as her.

I know Cressa doesn't like most Labs, Goldens, german shepards(there was a very aggressive german shepard at a play group that was bullying her before I could grab her), and most bully breeds. Generally its the in your face type of breeds that she hates. *She did meet one lab pup that took her by suprise since it was VERY respectful of her and back down but it live with beligun tervs so knew the ropes. LOL

Troy loves all dogs as long as they don't jump, bark, or growl at me.

LOL I live with a pit bull bitch and I think there are some dogs she just hates on principle.

These days she mostly only gets her panties wadded about dogs who stay too long in her space or whom she deems rude (staring definitely fits into that). Although when my trainer's Aussie bombed her to try to steal her dumbbell, she didn't take offense. I'll never figure her out. That's probably her plan.