BC Boards

Again with the potty traing :(

Pete and Shelby are WONDERFUL about not going potty in the house.... at least when we are looking. today and yesterday I had to leave Shelby out of the crate because hse is having problems with swelling after her spay. (pete and her are playing in the crate) the crate is in my bedroom, so I stripped the bed of all blankets and anything of value got taken out. they have been doing SO well with not pottying in the house. but not ten minutes after we shut the door on her, she poo'd and pee'd all over the bed!!!!

The SO drove me to work and drove home. and she had gone out to potty right before we left and did both!

I don't know how to correct this and I don't figure out how to solve it the SO will do it his way. which is not ok!! (rubbing nose is piss/poop) he did that once and tramatized shelby all day! granted!! since he has done that she and Pete have not pee'd/poo'd in the house while we are around.

How do I deal with this? how can I correct her when I am not around? its not like they don't know that it isn't ok because they do!! both times she has given herself away by cowering down and giving the pity me face. and she hasn't been punished for it!!

Originally posted by shelb'smum:

How do I deal with this? how can I correct her when I am not around? its not like they don't know that it isn't ok because they do!! both times she has given herself away by cowering down and giving the pity me face. and she hasn't been punished for it!!

You can't correct it if you're not around. Rubbing her nose in the accident is not only mean, it's ineffective. Dogs learn house training in spite of such techniques, not because of them.

I'd guess she picked up on your reaction and started cowering to be submissive, perhaps remembering the nose rubbing experience. It really seems like the dog "knows better" and feels "guilty" but really the dog is trying its hardest to appease you. Trying to calm you doesn't mean she knows why you're angry. She just knows you are.

I would say don't leave her loose when you leave. Is there anyway you can get or borrow a second crate to keep her quiet while she is healing? I wouldn't leave a 7 month old dog alone loose in a room unless it was a pretty dog proof place which would not include anything I cared about getting chewed or soiled. They're really not reliable in the house at such a young age. Also, sometimes dogs will pee and poop in the house because they feel insecure having too much "territory" to guard. That's where crates can be so helpful.

Also, do not rule out a possible physical reason for the accident, especially since she was just spayed. But my first thought would be she can't handle that much freedom at this age.

And please don't punish her after the fact. It's unfair, unproductive and damaging to your relationship with your dog.

Ya never know what's going on in their lil' heads. I have an old girl who's 9. I took in a rescue about 3 months ago. They got in a huge fight and the next time the old girl came in she pee'd on my bed, a chair, and a futon. She never pee's in the house. Was she telling the rescue what exactly was hers or was she telling me to go to he**? I chastized her when I figured out what she'd done and she's not gone in the house again. Go figure.

Is it Shelby that got spayed? If she's the one who's guility I'd give her a break and see what happens from here. Could be something related to the spaying and swelling? Could be she was just letting you know what she thinks about being left alone in the bedroom.

I do know...like I'm sure you do :rolleyes: that rubbing noses in pee only makes noses smell of pee and the next kiss is not so sweet! Encourage SO to try something else.

Good luck

Kristen

Thanks!

I would never punish her for any wrong doing after the fact. ever. period.

it may have something to do with being spayed, but that can't be the same reason that pete has done the same thing when I tried to leave him out of the crate. I think it may be the space issue. I am going to look for TALL puppy play pen and try that out with increasing the size once they are used to the space. BUT while I am doing that. should I put down a piddle pad as a just in case?

I can get another crate. we haven't because Pete have such a big problem with SA about shelby, so I just crate them together. They like it and it saves me space (its a uber big crate).

like I said she/he have not been punish for the bad deed,

O another thought she may have been angry for not being able to get into her crate... she is absoutly in love with it and sleeps in it even when the door is open... hmmm...

Originally posted by shelb'smum:

Thanks! I would never punish her for any wrong doing after the fact. ever. period.

Whew!

O another thought she may have been angry for not being able to get into her crate... she is absoutly in love with it and sleeps in it even when the door is open... hmmm...

She may have been stressed about not being able to get in her crate which may have led to the accidents, but dogs don't go in the house out of anger or spite. That's another fallacy that is very easy for us to believe especially when we have bright, clever dogs like BC's.

Maybe you could just borrow a crate while she recovers since the one crate works fine for you otherwise. The pee pad may or may not work. Depends on the dog and if they understand what it's there for. Quinn would just think I was kind enough to leave him a chew toy

I would have the vet check her out to make sure it is not a spay complication, then I would get another crate and go from there.

Our female was peeing in the house and first it was due to a bladder infection.

When she kept doing it we moved her crate into our bedroom (after much naggin on my part of my hubby)and she had never done peed in the house again!!!

We think she felt left out(as Poppy was allowed to sleep in the bedroom and she wasn't- hubby said crate was too bulky to have in there) and so she was very unhappy.

Now she is hardly ever in that crate unless we leave the house or it is bedtime...lol.

Something little was all it took to solve it. It just took us humans awhile to catch on.

I took her to the vet today, he said that there is nothing wrong with her lol. and she is healing well. just watch her. Both ehr and Pete already sleep in the room and get plenty of one on one time.

I think that what I'll do is try the slowy increase her "allowed" space with a pee pad and go back to potty training her by slowly moving the pad toward the door as her space gets bigger.