BC Boards

I had to swing on Hope and Sydney

This was all my fault, and could have been prevented if i looked before i let them up onto the porch.

Last night after a fun day at g'ma's house i went to take the dogs home. As soon as we got onto my porch Muk-Tuk came out from under a chair. Sydney latched on to him and Hope soon followed! Poor muk-Tuk was letting out a terrible noise, i knew they killed him. I screamed "Drop it! DROP IT!!" Zag was the only one to listened, he went around me. As I reached down to grab Muk, Syd did a death shake! Hope pouncing on top of him, kept blocking me from getting ahold of him.

I lost my temper and started smacking dogs. (hard enough to get their attention but not as hard as i can) I finally got Muk-Tuk free and he ran off! I was so pissed at the girls!(still am but trying not to act like it) I crated them in the utility room for the night. Zag who listened and backed off as soon as i said, got a special treat and was allowed to sleep in my bed. *The trouble maker behaved go figure!*

I didn't sleep well last night, i kept getting up looking for my cat to see if he was ok. I just saw him now and he is no worse for wear, although he wants nothing to do with me right now. Can't say i blame him. I was shocked because usually they (the dogs) are real interested but not aggressive towards him. I will have to pay more attention from now on. No more dogs near the cats.

I guess i'll have to start training them to "listen" while preoccupied. Lately our training has fell behind. I have been letting other things trump it. I have been trying to act as if it is business as usual with them today. They don't seem effected at all by me smacking them, which i am glad for. I am not the type who believes in hitting my dogs. I just was angry and fearful they'd kill Muk-Tuk.

So tonight we get back on track with training.

Foo, don't beat yerself up about it! Sometimes, when another animal's life is at stake, we just re-act! I am sure it was probly the only thing to "get their attention", at the time. Sure glad the cat is okay! I'm sure they will all be fine. It was probly just left over excitement and the cat suddenly appearing. They were probly all freaked out!

Foo,

It's perfectly acceptable to whack (or worse) a dog or two when the cat's (or any other pet's) life is at stake. I may have done more than that under such circumstances.... Glad to hear Muk-Tuk is okay. Remember that pack behavior probably played a role here, and that individually the dogs may never even give him a second glance. But beware when they are in a pack.

J.

I know exactly what you mean about feeling bad...but Muk-tuk needed you to take action for his life! Your dogs will forgive you...and you need stop being too hard on yourself!

Hopefully, Muk-tuk is okay. My DH (the cat person in the house) is usually concerned that an abcess could show up in a day or two after an encounter like that.

Wow, that must have been scary. I am very glad to hear that Muk-Tuk is okay. And yes, what the others said - I would have done the same or worse if my dogs were attacking another animal. Life-threatening circumstances call for somewhat different rules.

Foo, you did what you had to do, and there's a really good chance you saved Muk Tuk's life. Do watch for absecces for the next few days - if he starts to act strange at all, or has a funny smell to him, off to the vet.

I also think that if Hope really is in heat, that has something to do with the pack drive kicking in.

Good for you for saving Muk Tuk.

Ruth n the BC3

You reacted appropriately for the situation. Muk-Tuk was in danger and the dogs needed to be stopped. As pack "Alpha", you did what needed to be done.

Allie has a pretty strong prey instinct and I am always a little nervous about her with our cat, but so far Spike (who is a female, by the way :rolleyes: ) has held her own. I am still cautious, though.

I hope that Muk-Tuk is okay.

Muk-tuk seems to have forgiven me. I was on mum's front porch and he was meowing at me to pet him. I am so relieved he is ok. The girls have been unusually well behaved tonight. They both are asleep after our lil 10 minute training sessions. All is well.

Thank you all for the encouraging words. None of the animals seems worse for wear,& I learned a few valuable lesson.