BC Boards

help! making my BC pay attention to me!

hi, this is my first post here. :rolleyes: (hi all!)

So I have this little problem with my border collie... It's like when i'm with her in the backyard she is very obedient, ok

she listens, she's interested in her treats and although she doesn't like to play fetch all that much , she will play from time to time.

HOWEVER, when we're on a walk. (I take her to this big open church field everyday) she does not pay attention to me. It really confuses me. It's like she's too distracted by everything to do what I say. Even when I have treats ready for her to have (if she listens) she doesn't want them. She'd rather run around and sniff everything.

how can I make her be attentive!?

Welcome!

How about a little more information to help people give you good advice? How old is your dog? At what age did you get her? Where did you get her (if from a breeder, what sort of breeder - show, pet, backyard, pet shop, who knows what? and if not, from shelter, rescue, etc.)? What sort of a day do you spend with her - are you at work or at home during the day, is she crate-trained, have you taken classes with her, and so forth.

Understanding a bit more about you and your dog, and your daily routine, might be a help to people in terms of giving advice.

The one thing I would suggest no matter what her age or background, is to use a long line when outside the yard so she can do some playing and sniffing, but does not have the option of ignoring you. Some excellent trainers of family/pet dogs don't even let their youngsters off lead/long line outside of confined areas (indoors, small yard) until the youngsters are a year or older. If they don't learn they can ignore you, they don't realize that they can ignore you.

Best wishes!

I run Jin on a 100ft drag lead in an open field. Like Sue said they respond if you don't let them ignore you. If I call Jin and he doesn't come he'll respond if I just pick up the rope and slide it through my hand. Something else you night want to think about is a whistle and teaching them a rock solid recall and lie down.

HOWEVER, when we're on a walk. (I take her to this big open church field everyday) she does not pay attention to me. It really confuses me. It's like she's too distracted by everything to do what I say. Even when I have treats ready for her to have (if she listens) she doesn't want them. She'd rather run around and sniff everything.

Is that altogether a bad thing? Attention is important, but it's also good for dogs to have some time to run and sniff and just be dogs.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't do attention work with your dog, but do remember to give your dog some "down" time to do what she's naturally inclined to do.

You can even use permission to go and sniff and relax on her terms as a reward for checking in with you on cue. You can start that in the yard where she's more attentive - reward her for paying attention and then send her away. Once she has the idea you can start to trasfer that to situations that she finds more distracting.

I'd use a long line, too, but I'd probably use it a bit of a different way. I would take the dog out and release her to go sniff, etc., using the length of the long line to limit her exploration space. Whenever she chose to check in, I'd give her a treat and dismiss her. Once she began to lose interest in being sent away, I would start to train the cue for checking in by saying it every time she checks in. In this way, I wouldn't have to fight against my dog's nature, but I would be able to use it to reward the dog for learning the skill.

Just some food for thought.

The long line is a great idea. I used it with great effect for my late dog, Scotty. I'd let him get to the end of the line then call him back and give him a treat. He was so malleable that even after I let him off the line, he'd get so far out then come rushing back to me to check in. Of course, he'd get a treat. Others are also correct in saying "let a dog be a dog" -- in other words, give him time to sniff and explore, but you do have be assured that he will come when called.

My five month old pup Robin is just learning this behavior. The world is too new for him to pay any attention at all off lead. They just mowed our back field yesterday, so after our swim in the frog pond, when he's nice and tired out, I'll take him for a walk on the long lead and begin the training.

Liz

Robin Come Bobbin' - five months old!

post-10125-1250689067_thumb.jpg