BC Boards

Orijen Puppy food

I just changed my dogs food to orijen from eukanuba only because i wanted a good diet for him. his stools first come out perfect then by the second bm its like pudding with a little solid piece. could the food be too rich? i did change his diet over a 7 day period and he has been tested for parasites (negative). has anyone had this problem? please help! i would like to feed him a good quality food but i also dont think its right for him to have these types of bm. Help?! please?!

His system could possibly still use some time to get used to it. If he's been cleared by a vet, the I would give it another couple of days. If the food is too rich, which is possible, ACANA has changed their ingredients a bit and has upped the quality of their food (made by the same company as Orijen) you might want to try one of those types as they have a slightly lower percentage of protein and a little more carbs. It is possible that you have to try a few types of food as well. I tried a ton of foods before settling on Orijen/ACANA combo that my dog does really well on. Is there anything that could be stressing him out...some dogs have a tendency to get runny stools if they are stressed too....

Thanks Ms. DaisyDuke,

Come to think of it... this is the first week that he has stayed home by himself while i am at work.... before i was bringing him to work with me and his stools were fine but then again he was still on eukanuba too... so i suppose it could be a combo of both...hmmm thanks for that input i never would of thought of that! any suggestions on reducing the stress of being home alone? i have been putting different toys out for him each day and even a little doggy pool.... oh i have also been giving him the past 2 days fast balance GI in case it was the food.... but maybe its just stress?!?!

It sounds a lot like he's getting a bit too much food. Try reducing his ration by a third. If you see solid stools within a day, watch his weight and slowly increase his ration. Remember to take training treats and edible chewies into account too when you think about what he's eating.

I agree with Becca, because Orijen is so high in protein you won't have to feed nearly as much as eukanuba, or any other lower quality foods for that matter. Check the amount suggested on the bag and pay attention to Active vs. Sedentary lifestyle. My dog definitely is not sedentary, but I find that when they mean "active" they mean, working or sports dog active so there is a bit of a grey area there.

As for leaving him at home, that could have stressed him out, but he'll get used to it shortly, I'm sure.

I feed raw but buy kibble from time to time to have on hand when I need it. Orijen is one of the ones a tried..and never bought again, for exactly that reason, it gave all my dogs terrably runny poops. I just switched to a different grain free like EVO and Horizen Legacy and I have never has a problem since.

Loose poop is not fun. I did talk to the person who owned the boutique that sold the food and she said it could take up to 3 weeks to get better so just as I had enough of cleaning loose poop I went to buy acana and that day before I opened the bag his poop was back to normal and has been good since. Weird. But soon I may be considering feeding raw once in awhile as soon as I am more educated on it but we will see.

I guess orijen being a great source of food just isn't made for all pets. I crossed my fingers and hoped it would work out and it did.

It can take a couple of weeks for their systems to get used to food. When i was trying out different foods I usually monitored my dog over 2 or 3 months. I watched how eager she was to eat it, how her stools were, how often she went and what her coat was doing. If after a month and a bit she was failing on more than 2 of those I would change, but other wise just waited it out so see.