BC Boards

(UPDATE) I hope this isn't a major setback for Navi...

Today we had the foundation poured for the addition, so the dogs have been inside all day except for bathroom breaks/walks. So this evening I took Navi for his walk and got halfway down the road that we usually take and a 4-wheeler comes down one of the side roads. As it got to the end of the road it backfired. Navi dropped flat to his belly then got up and turned around heading back home. All of this within split seconds. He pulled so hard on the leash that I had to make him stop and sit and try to calm him down w/out coddling him. He was trembling. I didn't force him to turn around and continue on our way...we went back home. After we walked a little way, he started to settle but was still uneasy the rest of the way home.

Come to think of it, I'm trying to wean him off of the Clomicalm, so I've cut him back to 1/2 his usual dose for the past few days. I just wonder if that has something to do w/ how frightened he was?!?!?! He's always been a bit on the anxious side, but never to this extreme.

Anyway, I think we will try again tomarrow and see if he is going to associate what happened today w/ our usual path. I hope not because its really the best road to take our walks on.

Take a happy attitude, some treats, and some toys, and distract him as you go down the road.

My shy dog Tess will sometimes associate a scary incident with a certain spot, but if it does not happen twice in a row she does okay.

The other day I was out walking with both dogs and a deer leaped out right in front of us, startling the dogs and causing them to freak out, wanting to chase it. Then on our very next walk the same day, the exact same thing happened in the same spot. Now both dogs lunge as we get near there. After about 4-5 walks without any deer, they are starting to calm down a bit about it. If I distract them with treats or a tugging game, they do much better.

I hope Navi does okay. Maybe you can go back to his usual dose of his med and then go back to weaning it off in another week or something?

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

Everything went picture perfect on our walk this morning. He acted like he didn't even remember the 4 wheeler incident. He didn't even look cross way at the road that the 4-wheeler was on.

I'm glad though because this particular road has become my favorite for taking our walks. Lots of OLD oak trees and lots of pretty scenery in the yards along the way. Its just an old country road that takes away the fast pace of life.

You should pat yourself on the back, for handling the situation the way you did. By not coddling him and just remaining calm, you showed him there was nothing to worry about, and that you had it under control!!

Good for you and Navi :rolleyes: