BC Boards

Lakota Prairie Brome grass anyone?

Daniel King

Anyone out there have experience with this grass? My contract farmer is real big on it but I wanted to get other opinions since he is more of a cattle man. From the description is seems like a fit for one of my pastures but wondered if anyone had experience or knowledge with it in regards to sheep.

http://www.hancockseed.com/seed-varieties-...lb-bag-376.html

Thanks in advance,

Daniel King

I'm going with stuff that's tried and true for the area. I really wary of importing species out of their natural range. In fact, I'm actively using the sheep to clear out "invasives" from our woods and pasture before replanting (in the pastures, that is). So many of these invasive species were originally brought in for forage.

With that said, I have a friend who uses Matua brome for her management-intensive grazing system. She runs both cattle (cow calf) and sheep. The Matua seemed like a lot of trouble but I see where it would have its use in an intensive grazing environment.

I love Hancock! I've got a legume mix coming from them that will be part of "phase two" on our pasture reclaiming project. The browntop millet is already knee high two weeks after seeding (no till). I'm trying to decide now between a cool season grass or a heat tolerant variety or varieties.