BC Boards

What type of "mind"

Journey

Thanks everyone! I have been reading and mulling over all the thoughts and observations.

In my experience working with now three different sets of littermates these things are mostly hardwired. Same trainer, different outcomes. Littermates are not all the same. I have also worked with or closely followed a number of the dogs from each my breedings. Again, different tendencies genetically, modified slightly by training.

This is a luxury of a different manner, you've been able to see from the beginning not only on the pups but the sire and dam as well. This is also where I wonder about picking a pup. Sure, you (generic) know the sire and dam, know how they work, should know about offspring and relatives as well. However, what the buyer doesn't know is "how these dogs started out".

They lose the inhibitions that have been trained into them to do these things.

This comment hit a note with me on many angles, thanks.

There are certain types of handling that will make certain traits worse. Apprehension that manifests itself as looking that handler or such, is one. However, there will be dogs that won't look at the person no matter what they do so genetics is certainly involved.

OK, genetics and it's hardwired. You just don't know the schematics till later as to which way any pup will go.

When a well-intentioned dog is faced with extreme overhandling or inexperienced handling, I think those dogs that are very keen will be forced to do one of two basic things besides quit - they will learn to not care about what the sheep are doing and just do as told, or they will learn to blow off the handler and do what they think they need to do to keep the sheep under control. I have seen both. Many times.

Yes, I have the latter in my bitch to an extent due to my beginning handling. Julie P. my Bree is Phoebes' evil twin :rolleyes: I can give her all the work she wants, no problem, just don't open your mouth and interfere with her.

I have a few "do'ers" here and I have the opportunity to watch a bunch of youngsters and follow them as they grow. It'll be interesting to see if some of the "suck back" pups when grown and matured will come on stronger. I suppose because I am used to what I have that I prefer the "do'ers" I see it as effort and to me that means a bunch, besides I'm getting used to riding the brakes!