BC Boards

Urgent Help

I found a puppy on the side of the road sitting in the woods.

It's a female black lab. She can't be more than 8-10 weeks. This wouldn't be such a big deal but I think it has a hip/leg problem. She will walk on it, sit down like a normal dog would, but it just doesn't seem to be walking quite right IMO. Also, when you pick her up she straightens that leg out and won't bend it.

I can't get to a vet till Monday, and then I can't do much. If she needs surgery, x-rays, what ever else that cost alot of money, she will be PTS or if I can find a lab rescue that will take her I would gladly do that over PTS. But if it's going to cost alot of money I just don't have that - especially for a dog I'm not planning on keeping. I don't want to take her to the Pound because I don't like the pound here at all. And I'm not a fan of how they treat the dogs at the HS either.

Would a Lab Rescue take her? I have no clue what to do.

I gave her water and she drank that readily. Gave her food mixed with water to soften it and she ate that readily too.

Any advice? She's currently sitting at my feet knawing at my toe. She's a healthy little thing, her ears are a bit dirty, and a few scratches. She's very interested in people. Now she's lying down sleeping soundly.

**I know this isn't about a border collie, but we have really knowledgable people here that I thought might be able to help me.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty positive it was a dump. Just because she was dumped in the woods, and the closest thing to her was 431 Highway (very busy).

I got her to run, and she's running alittle lop sided, but I'm not sure if she does have a hip/leg problem. Sometimes I think she does, sometimes I think she doesn't. She'll be going to the vet Monday anyways just to make sure she's healthy.

If she doesn't have any problems, how do I find her a home? I've never had to find a dog a home.

If she does have a problem, I will look into Lab rescue, and if they can't do anything, I think the only other option is PTS.

Here is a picture of her. She's coming out of her shell more and more. She's a fiesty little gal. But she's an angel on leash, gives great eye contact, and she sleeps lot. But screams bloody murder if she wants out of her crate. Puppies.

3779743612_662f9d0658.jpg

3781831023_b7e6b20684.jpg

I've contacted a lab rescue that I got from a friend, still waiting to hear back.

She's a cute, glossy little thing and it's hard to imagine anyone would dump such a pup (but we all know things like that happen).

Other than the color, her pix are not screaming "lab" to me - for a pup that age, she looks way too fine in the face and head for a lab. Those pups tend to be little chunks at that age, but I sure couldn't say she isn't one. Maybe a mix?

She looks very happy and I hope you do find a rescue or other reputable group to find her a great home!

She could be a mix. She's got big paws for her body.

I think she is probably smaller because she was hungry. She's still eating her food like there is no tomorrow.

Here is a whole body pic.

3783368426_489d338d11.jpg

3778937383_1582c62128.jpg

You could call Renae Jones at K9Connection in Dothan and see if she can help via Save a Pet. Tell her I sent you. I can't make her take her, and she may not have room, but it will make your request more legitamate. Wiregrass Humane won't take her - they don't take black dogs. Dothan AC will just kill her.

There are a few other options, and it would be great if you could keep her an find her a home. Reality may not allow that....do what you can.

You could call Renae Jones at K9Connection in Dothan and see if she can help via Save a Pet. Tell her I sent you. I can't make her take her, and she may not have room, but it will make your request more legitamate. Wiregrass Humane won't take her - they don't take black dogs. Dothan AC will just kill her.

There are a few other options, and it would be great if you could keep her an find her a home. Reality may not allow that....do what you can.

I just got off the phone with the HS actually, and they are full. She's not going to a kill shelter, she's a good dog and will make someone happy. I'm having a hard enough time letting her go to a HS.

I was really set on keeping her for a week, give the Lab rescue time to contact me (no phone # on their website). But last night was horrid. She was up screaming to come out of her crate every two hours -she wasn't sick, she just wanted to play/get pet. I've started school now, and I can't physically keep those hours. And during the day she needs me, so my dogs are not getting the attetion they deserve.

I'll give her a call.

I'm positive there is NOTHING wrong with this little gal. I think it was she was just very shy/scared the first day, so whenever we touched her or picked her up, she would freeze like it was hurting her. I wonder if she had been in a bad home before we found her.

She's now running around, jumping, 'frogging' her back legs, and loves to be picked up. She doesn't show any signs of leg problems anymore.

Well, I guess she's supposed to stay here for a little while longer. I've called every rescue I can think of ranging from rescues in GA to down in lower (1.5+ hours away) AL. They are all full. *sigh*

Jennifer - will the local shelters let you put up a courtesy listing on their site? I know Alabama's dog culture is different from Massachusetts' - but up here, puppies are adopted almost as soon as they hit the shelters. It's older dogs that have a hard time getting homes. If a shelter had a happy, healthy puppy, and didn't have to feed it, might they not find a contact family who was interested?

If not a shelter, maybe you can find a foster home via Craigslist?

Good luck. Too much cuteness.

Mary

I have no idea. All we have here is a HS (that I do NOT like) and a city Pound.

I know of a home baised rescue in GA, but they are always full but if they know about her, maybe they can help get the word out.

She's got a vet appt. in a little while (shots, make sure she's healthy, deworming), so at least I won't be splitting my time with my own dogs now.

She's got to find a home in 2 weeks, though, as we leave for a week of vacationing then.

Lizmo if you feel she's healthy the vet visit could wait for now and you can pick up everything that puppy needs - wormer, parvo/distemper, microchip etc - at Jeffers at a much cheaper cost. I might also have some of that here that I would be glad to donate for a rescue pup.

I think you've got skill enough to look her over and see if you need the vet right now. Eyes clear, ears clean, gums pink, moving smoothly on all 4's? Pot bellied and thin ribs? or good weight? Parasites removed inside and out? Worms are given with southern byb pups.

Mixed puppies are a dime a dozen down here right now. I would still call Renae, and see if the puppy could go to the Save a Pet adoptathon at Petsmart via her. It's not the best situation, but if you can't keep her you can't. It's best to get her out while she's cute and young.

Thanks for the replies everyone. She did go to the vet - and it's probably good, because he said she had the tiny tiny beginnings of ear mites.

Lenajo, I thought about doing it myself but, I wanted her to have the shots/wormer today as I think she'll sleep better in the house than in the garage in the crate - and I can't get up every two hours because she wants someone out their with her, for an hour each time. Next time I think I will - much cheaper. Lol

Boy this pup was doing everything in her power to get the Vet Tech to take her home. Tech recently lost her older Lab, but said it wasn't the right time yet, even though she really liked her and this pup would have a fantastic home with her.

Well, I guess she's supposed to stay here for a little while longer. I've called every rescue I can think of ranging from rescues in GA to down in lower (1.5+ hours away) AL. They are all full. *sigh*

Enjoy the newest addition to your family! :rolleyes::D

Enjoy the newest addition to your family! :rolleyes::D

You sound like my neighbors Haha. No no no. She is NOT allowed to stay more than 2 weeks. No. I don't want another puppy! :D

Though, if I was looking for a dock diving dog, she'd be the one I would keep. She already jumped in the dog pool and swam around, making a huge fuss, splashing the other dogs. LOL

You sound like my neighbors Haha. No no no. She is NOT allowed to stay more than 2 weeks. No. I don't want another puppy! :rolleyes:

Yeah, okay. So, what are you going to name her? :D

But you know, Jennifer, I bet that Blazie boy likes her a lot... And you could add a lab... Then you'd have the Jennifer version of Shay's Misfits... :rolleyes: And she could do dock diving, and duck retreiving, and obedience, and and and and and... Probably flyball, too!:D

Would your parents let you keep her?