BC Boards

Raw feeding, bones, and bolting food

juliepoudrier

I feed my dogs a lot of my homegrown lamb, and usually I just get standard cuts that people would use too, so if I want to eat some I can, and if I want to feed it to dogs, I can. But I'm having a problem with Phoebe and some of the smaller cuts of meat, like loin chops. The bones in those cuts are fairly small, and Phoebe tends to bolt her food, with the result that she has choked on more than one occasion. So far she has always managed to spit the bone back out, eventually, but there's got to be a better way. If I cut the meat away from the bone for her, I lose a lot of the meat that's close to the bone, and she loses the advantages of chewing (well, if she actually chewed, which she does once she's done choking). Is my only choice not to feed her cuts of meat that have smaller bones? I don't have the equipment or wherewithal to grind everything, and again that loses the advantage of chewing. Pip and Lark can eat the same cuts without issues, so it really rests on the fact that Phoebe bolts her food (and it's not as if anyone is trying to steal from her so she has to eat fast--she's always been something of a bolter, no matter what she's being fed). Any thoughts on slowing her down so she doesn't choke herself?

J.

My girl will try to swallow anything whole, as long as it's smaller than her head. But if I give her something frozen (just gave her a butcher block slice of chicken), as soons as she realizes it isn't going down in one gulp, she slows down and simply gnaws at it until it's gone. The other option is to only feed yours pieces that are too big to gulp, or small enough not to matter.