BC Boards

Torn carpal pads.

Jin tore both of his carpal pads pretty badly this morning ripping the top layer and leaving a fairly large flap. I did give him first aid and plan to put him in the pool later to let his feet soak. That will go a long way in helping to heal his feet.

Rant: You guys drive me crazy with the paranoia about Jin getting hurt.

Rave: Thanks for the material on dog first aid here.

Confession: I did upgrade my field first aid kit to include what I need for dogs.

Query: Do I trim the torn part of the off or do I krazy glue it back on like I would for his foot.

What you need: Scissors, fabric sports tape, Krazy glue, (other types of Super glue do not work as well) & corn starch.

Clean and dry the area thoroughly, cut a round patch, slightly bigger than the wound, make sure that you don't leave any square corners.

Apply a very thin layer of Krazy glue to the wound, the size of your patch. Apply the patch. Let it dry. Now apply another thin layer of glue on top of your entire patch, making sure to go outside of the edges. Immediately apply the corn starch (the corn starch is the key). Let it dry. If you would like you can apply another layer of glue and cornstarch but it must be very thin and overlap the previous layer. If any of the layers are too thick the patch will not hold. This will give you a patch that, depending on outside conditions, will stay on up to 5 days. It will fall off on its own as the pad heals. It will also give you a corn starched, glued finger that will annoy you for two days or until you figure out that acetone removes Krazy glue. Good Luck!

At the moment it's just cleaned and bandaged.

Are they cutting the patch out of the fabric sports tape? Not sure how it would work. May try it next time one of mine burns a pad. Most of the time the flap is gone from Gyp's and it is just raw. The few times I have tried to glue it back it didn't last long and I ended up clipping it off. Suturing didn't work any better, only tried that once.

Jenny

I'd wait a day or so then cut the flap off. It might still be tender today.

Mick just tried to cut his metacarpel pad off about 2 weeks ago. I still haven't taken the stitches out yet. It just quit bleeding about 3 days ago. Vet told me I could leave them in if need be. They are the self absorbing kind. Guess I'll give it a few more days then see if any are sticking out and maybe clip them off it they are.

I've never seen an injury bleed so much. He's been on house arrest for 3 days just to get it to stop reopening with stitches still there.

Good luck with Jin. How'd he do it?

Chasing a ball in the wash this morning. IThe ball drifted on to the hard pack and when he tried to stop he shredded them. No more ball play in the wash when it's hard pack.