BC Boards

Reactivity, Body Language, and Fair Warning

Reading the thread about Bandit being attacked in the dog park, and thinking about how sometimes dogs are attacked for giving body language signals that humans miss, has got me observing and pondering.

I took my reactive dog Buddy to the park today at 6 a.m.. Yeesh, I thought I'd be alone there, but nope! There were yoga-doers facing into the sunrise on top of the hill, and I met a couple other dog walkers.

Coming down the home stretch, I saw a couple walking a young, leggy dog. I put Buddy on his leash, and they did the same. As we approached, there dog stopped in his tracks and refused to continue moving. He was watching Buddy very cautiously. The woman tried to get the dog to walk, but he wouldn't.

I called out, "He's a good dog! My dog gives off some kind of 'stay away' signal, and your dog is listening to him." The couple were very happy to hear that, and appropriately praised the dog. We started chatting, and it turned out their pup was only 5 months old (47 lbs. and already about 6" taller than Buddy!), and they were working hard on training. Very responsible all around - I thanked them for leashing their dog and we commiserated about off-leash dogs who charge at leashed dogs, and all the trouble they cause.

I've met a lot of dogs who have the same long-distance response to Buddy's posture: they slow down, move very cautiously, often getting into a "pouncing" lie down posture. If it looks safe and I let Buddy off-leash, the very best meeting happens when they both stand still, at a distance, only moving towards each other in very slow, planned steps. Then, all at once, they both let loose and go for a crazy frolicking run. VERY different from Buddy's reaction when too-happy dogs charge him. In fact, I've come to trust that dogs who stand still at a distance don't set Buddy off; he likes them.

Now, watching Buddy move when we're a good distance from other dogs, I honestly can't see any change in his body language. He does some deflecting behavior, like pretending to be reeeeeally interested in sniffing the underbrush, and he doesn't look straight on at the other dog. Obviously, though, sensitive dogs can see from far away that Buddy isn't someone they want to charge at, and they modify their behavior appropriately.

So I'm thinking that Buddy is giving all kinds of warning signals to other dogs, even when I (with a fairly trained eye) can't see them. By the time the dogs get close and Buddy lets out a warning growl, I think he is thinking, "For heaven's sake... I've told you six times already! Don't come over here!" So when the dogs breach his security barrier and he tries to drive them away, it's the end of a much longer conversation than I give him credit for. Maybe the behavior that I see as deflecting (fake sniffing interest) is not only a calming signal, but a "stay back" signal as well.

Just something I'm thinking about. Does anyone else with a reactive dog see similar very subtle signals?

Mary

Now, watching Buddy move when we're a good distance from other dogs, I honestly can't see any change in his body language. He does some deflecting behavior, like pretending to be reeeeeally interested in sniffing the underbrush, and he doesn't look straight on at the other dog. Obviously, though, sensitive dogs can see from far away that Buddy isn't someone they want to charge at, and they modify their behavior appropriately.

So I'm thinking that Buddy is giving all kinds of warning signals to other dogs, even when I (with a fairly trained eye) can't see them. By the time the dogs get close and Buddy lets out a warning growl, I think he is thinking, "For heaven's sake... I've told you six times already! Don't come over here!" So when the dogs breach his security barrier and he tries to drive them away, it's the end of a much longer conversation than I give him credit for. Maybe the behavior that I see as deflecting (fake sniffing interest) is not only a calming signal, but a "stay back" signal as well.

Just something I'm thinking about. Does anyone else with a reactive dog see similar very subtle signals?

Mary

That's the problem, dogs are so much more adept at reading body language than we are, after all, it is their primary language! The subtlities can be as simple as a minute glance, the change of ear of tail carriage by 1mm or other similar minute changes that we as owners often miss.

Some years ago I worked with a group of reactive Newfoundlands. Yes, those big dogs often have problems. I finally noticed that their pupils changed slightly when they were reaching their major threshold of stress. Not easy to see with the dark eyes and black heads! There were other less subtle signals, a slight tension in the body-for these dogs, very slight, maybe their close hanging ears a bit more tense, but it was all very subtle and black on black. Some dogs, usually thpse that run up pouncing on other dogs or body slamming, seem less capable of picking up these minute signals. We humans definitely are not capable.

I am currently working with a BC that has some aggression issues. He will tense and the eyes widen and I know not to move quickly around him.

When I was helping with puppy and family dog training, we watched some videos (which have had links here on the boards before) from a behaviorist. It amazed me (and it shouldn't have) to see how many warning signs dogs can give that we humans just are not aware of, and how very subtle they can be.

As Pam says, dogs communicate with body language and can read very subtle signals without thinking about it. It is in their nature. People, on the other hand, have to train themselves to observe and respond properly to "dog language".

Best wishes!

I am sure I miss a tons of signs, but both of my two have some things that I have noticed.

Poke isn't reactive, but we had a foster who literally would have tried to kill him daily if we hadn't learned to notice. Poke's lips were the easiest way for me to tell when something was about to happen. The corners of his mouth would tense and press back. Not a lot, but I could see them twitch ever so slightly from being so tense. When I saw that happen I knew I was catching the tail end of a conversation that was ending very badly. I would recall Poke to my side and after a few instances of learning curve ie... Foster would charge/ lunge towards my dog at my side, I would lean into foster's space/path, foster would freeze and roll over on his back -I never touched the dog, he did this all on his own... the foster learned that people were very unhappy at his actions. He still kept trying to go after my dog until the day he left, (That foster just hated other males.) but we made it work.

Ceana is reactive. Her eyes and ears will tell you a lot about her mental "space." When she is in "good space," her muscles around her eyes and her ears seem more relaxed. When she is in "bad space," her ears and muscles around her eyes are tense.

Interesting topic. I just had my dog meet a 10 week old boxer x yesterday and since he's usually very good with puppies I relaxed a little. However, she was marvellous at reading him as well. He had found a small ball (he has possession issues with other dogs) and she came to play. He reacted by freezing, turning his head away and down. He looked at her from the side as she came up. She slowed down (sensing something different) and laid down - reaching towards him.

When she got this close he sent a small growl - I immediately said a calm 'good boy' to keep him relaxed and he briefly looked at me. She, on the other hand, went on her back briefly and then tried to gently reach out again. Another very quiet growl and a calming 'good boy' from me and he untensed just a bit. A little less nervy but still cautious.

The little pup then licked his nose very gingerly and backed up again. She seemed a little antsy but restraining herself from full play and totally ignoring the toy. In fact she seemed to be telling/showing him "it's ok - I see it's your toy and you don't want to share - I won't take it, but I'd still like to play with you".

They then got up and went to investigate something whereupon I picked up the ball so it wouldn't become an issue when I wasn't there to supervise.

I seriously think her natural reading of his body language was due to her recent seperation from her 'pack'. She still got it. Truman has lost a little of that knowledge through lack of opportunity which is why I have to be careful. In fact, it is because of this I feel he needs to be around dog-smart dogs who will read him right and help him feel comfortable rather than go to parks where the dogs ignore his signs and make him nervous and reactive.

A side point - I've learned his particular 'danger' sign - when he's nervous or sensing something he's unsure about he slightly purses his lips - there's no growl but it's the very beginning of one - watching for this I can leash, divert or move him away as he tends to jump from lip purse to full on bark - lunge. Pehaps some dogs prolong the warning giving owners some concrete evidence of distress while others *appear* fine which means humans and clueless dogs really do miss the signals the reactive dog thought were clear.

ETA: In this case I also considered that he had the right (in dog terms) to teach the pup she shouldn't take something from him. I guess I would be interested in learning the difference between a "training" growl and a nervous one. In the past I tried to correct or restrain him from growling or "picking on" older pups and have been told that he's just teaching them. He adores babies, but older, typically male, pups (5mths - 18mths) are his biggest pet peeve (and for that matter, older, grouchy/growly females). How would I know the difference? Obviously I can't ignore the feelings generated by his teaching methods on strangers pups, but I'd like to have some perspective here.

I've come to trust that dogs who stand still at a distance don't set Buddy off; he likes them.

I have the same thing going on with my Bella. She will befriend any dog who approaches her cautiously, and politely, but when a dog barrels at her, wanting to play, she reacts. *shakes head* It makes it tough around here, because it seems a lot of dogs don't understand her "stay away" aura.

Interesting thread.

The interesting thing is Jin practically telegraphs his signals. Most dogs on leads don't bother him and dogs off leads he could care less about but when small, or yappy or excited dogs appear his tail gets stiff, head goes down and he starts a stare. He looks like he's ready to pounce. Dragging him and getting his attention is not always easy however if I can get him to look away that defuses the entire situation. The major part of the problem seems to be only when he's on a lead. The other part is that he can be so unpredictable when on a lead. Walks in crowds or among other leashed dogs means I have to be on my toes 110% of the time to avoid an incident. The interesting thing was until one evening when we were jumped while walking downtown he wasn't reactive at all. It's been a headache but I am slowly working through it.

There are tons of signals, and you do get really good a picking up on them when you have a reactive dog. Daisy's entire face will tense too. You'll be able to see the whites of her eyes and her pupils will dilate. It is very hard to notice on a dark dog with dark eyes! If she is nervous of something she will give tongue flicks (kinda like a snake), avert her eyes, lower her head etc. If there is something to be worried about (she gets worried when the dogs next door bark) she will be very stiff, tail up high, ears up, she will kind of huff, it's hard to explain, her breathing gets heavier and you can see her cheeks puff out when she exhales. I notice quite a few differences in her face alone when she is calm, unsure of something, worried and just plain reacting. Most people would never see them either.

She will take any dog who stares at her as a direct challenge and respond to them. That is the one signal that she is overly sensitive to. Even if they just want to play. She also responds very well to dogs who turn their backs on her. I had a foster use that on her all the time. If Daisy was acting snotty to her, she'd just turn around and lay down so her back was to Daisy and that would diffuse Daisy instantly.

Mary, do you have "On talking terms with Dogs"? that is a good book on body language...it's been mentioned here tons!

There are tons of signals, and you do get really good a picking up on them when you have a reactive dog. Daisy's entire face will tense too. You'll be able to see the whites of her eyes and her pupils will dilate. It is very hard to notice on a dark dog with dark eyes! If she is nervous of something she will give tongue flicks (kinda like a snake), avert her eyes, lower her head etc. If there is something to be worried about (she gets worried when the dogs next door bark) she will be very stiff, tail up high, ears up, she will kind of huff, it's hard to explain, her breathing gets heavier and you can see her cheeks puff out when she exhales. I notice quite a few differences in her face alone when she is calm, unsure of something, worried and just plain reacting. Most people would never see them either.

She will take any dog who stares at her as a direct challenge and respond to them. That is the one signal that she is overly sensitive to. Even if they just want to play. She also responds very well to dogs who turn their backs on her. I had a foster use that on her all the time. If Daisy was acting snotty to her, she'd just turn around and lay down so her back was to Daisy and that would diffuse Daisy instantly.

Mary, do you have "On talking terms with Dogs"? that is a good book on body language...it's been mentioned here tons!

That's what I look for in the other leashed dogs. I know what Jin's behavior will be, he's that predictable. What I look for are the dogs who just want to charge up and play that are on leads especially flexi leads. They're the ones that don't know dog social behavior; go around to the side door please. Instead they charge up on a tight leash barking and staring at Jin. That's what sends him off. Even if both dogs are standing there quietly if the other dog starts to look at Jin or strain on his leash before an introduction problems start. What I do when do see that is pull Jin away from the scene and when he quiets down I give him a treat. If he does extra well he gets a jackpot treat. Right now I'm trying to spot the problem before it happens. Unfortunately these iver exhuberabt dogs don't give a lot of other sign, they're happy and want to play. They're also frustrated because when they start charging and barking they get snarked by other dogs including Jin if I'm not fast enough or get surprised.

Hmm!! I wonder if that also has something to do with him pushing his way between me and Abby when I call Abby? He want's to be #1 no doubt and Abby will let him have it but he doesn't need to push her around even if he is the favored son. Uh! Oh! did I spill the beans? :rolleyes:

Uh! Oh! did I spill the beans? :rolleyes:

Yeah, um, if that was a secret, it's the worst kept secret since oh I don't know Lancelot and Guinevere! :D