BC Boards

How much can a BC be trusted?

Our 2 year old BC Lizzie can stay in the house now when we are gone and is very good. She doesn't chew anything up any more and no going potty in the house. If she absolutly has to she will go on the basement floor which is fine with me, allot better then a rug or carpet.

We have taken the kennel down in the basement that I made for her now. What I'm wondering is can she ever be trusted to stay home outside if we left her? She has never run away from our place since we got her at 4 months old. I don't know how we could even test her on this. When we aren't playing with her she keeps herself occupied outside pretty good by herself. We have quite a few farms around us with cattle, horses, and sheep and I'm afraid she might be tempted to go do some herding on her own. Have any of you trained your BC to stay home by itself when your gone? Just curious

I wouldn't do it. The way your post reads it sounds like you don't have fences, or a way to contain her outside. It is possible that she might take it upon herself to harrass someone else's stock (which might result in her demise), not to mention any other bad things that could happen (being run over by a car, attacked by a bear or coyote, etc.). Nope, I personally wouldn't risk it.

Is there some reason why she can't continue to stay inside when you're gone?

My dogs are crated/contained when I am not home - ages 7-1/2 weeks, 3 years, 6 years, 8 years, and 12 years. It is for their safety.

I guess I would like her to be outside on a nice day and not cooped up. I have a pretty big outdoor kennel for her its 17 x 24 feet, but she can't run in it. I was just wondering if a BC could be trained to stay home or if their herding instinct is so strong that it would over rule it.

My wife will be retiring in two years and then it won't be a problem anymore.

I have Invisible Fence and I still monitor my dog when he is outside. I don't want him to bark and disturb my neighbors; he would rather have us out there with him anyway.

We have sudden thunderstorms that can pop up in no time here in the South and I would hate for my poor dog to be outside in one.

Hornet's nest?? You asked a question, and we are answering as to our experiences and thoughts. I'm sorry if we're not telling you what you hoped/expected to hear.

The bottom line is we cannot tell you what your dog can and cannot be trained to do. However, we can tell you that in our experience not only border collies but dogs in general have a tendency to meet up with trouble when they are left outside, alone, un-contained. Even if you can train your dog not to roam, you still have no control about other dogs or creatures coming onto your property.

All I can say is personally if I wanted to leave her outside on a nice day while I'm gone, I'd put her in the kennel. If I wanted her to have a run, I'd take her for one myself.

Originally posted by RandyB:

We have quite a few farms around us with cattle, horses, and sheep and I'm afraid she might be tempted to go do some herding on her own.

Your instincts are correct, odds are she'd be off herding the neighbor's stock. And in that situation, unlike passing a football, three things can happen and ALL of them are bad. :rolleyes:

How bout a doggy door leading out to a fenced in portion of your yard. That way she can decide, inside or outside. Like someone else said, she can't run in the house either :rolleyes: