BC Boards

Update on Pan

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes! That I know. I already looked at the foster questionnaire and I thought long and hard about it and talked to my husband and then checked "adult" and "senior" and "low to moderate" activity level. And then wrote a bunch of stuff about wanting if at all possible a laid back temperament and explaining why. The thing is I *love* border collies now - the intelligence, the drive to learn, the activity - so the next dog I adopt I think I want to be a BC (an older rescue, who has already been fostered, with a good temperament), but I'm thinking the first dog we foster, when we do so, should probably be a basset hound or something (friends have basset hounds and as a child, we kept a basset / retriever mix outside that I was crazy about as a kid, so I know their tendencies). Something low key and easier, a dog we can help without having to tax our skills. And then only once I feel more confident with my skills as a handler, and we have moved from this house to something larger with a big field out back, will I go back to border collies. There is a border collie (purebred, god knows what kind of breeding) in adoption row at the place I am going to volunteer. I can't wait to meet him. Looking at his picture, my heart says FOSTER HIM but I think it might be a bad idea. He's only four months old and there could be problems in his temperament that we don't know about now with his mystery background which could show up as he gets older. When I told my husband, at first he said, oh my god, we're getting that dog aren't we, laughing - but then he said maybe we should wait a while before we even take in a foster. He wants us to go on a trip and get out of here for a while before we get another dog, and then school starts... And I think I should volunteer at this place first and take some time to grieve naturally and learn their process and really meet these dogs before I jump into anything. Maybe I should just post the border collie on the adoptables section here? (I don't even know how they know he is pedigree. I should find out...)

We adopted rescue BCs that were both four years old and came from homes that simply couldn't keep them anymore. Ladybug is a "robodog" -- she's perfect in every way. If I can train Robin and Brodie to be half as good as her, I"ll be happy. Scotty had a few issues -- his owners were elderly and he was ruling the house and he was a very big border collie, over 60 pounds. I"ll never forget the day we brought him home, he charged into the kitchen put his big paws up on the counter and the expression on his face was, "What's for dinner folks?" , but he became the gentlest sweetest, most obedient soul in the world. I didn't need to put the amount of effort into him that you put into Pan...all he needed to know was who was boss and someone to understand him, but he was one of those empathic dogs that just "read" not only your facial expressions but your emotions and responded appropriately. He was indeed my best friend - we lost him in Feb. and I cry for him every day.

For several reasons, I did what I'm suggesting you avoid -- immediately tried to fill the void with not one but TWO pups....they're four months old at the moment and chewing everything in sight. But they are great because they are healthy, well adjusted, and don't have any bad experiences imprinted on them. It is so much fun to work with them because they are so responsive to everything....I think you are a teacher too (I teach as well) and would enjoy the learning process....but if you're going back to school, its probably best to wait until next summer for a pup. They take an unbelievable amount of time and I don't crate mine for more than two hours before letting them out to play. (Overnight being the exception, of course). When I was taking chemo treatments, we took them back to the breeder for the day because puppies just can't wait and I don't believe in paper training....

The nice thing is, on days like today when they've been to town, done the rounds, and played outside for three hours and they just ask quite nicely to come in and take a nap :rolleyes:

I have a suspicion about bassets... they are hounds that need to work, very physically strong, and strong minded. Every one I've run across that people have tried to make into a house pet has ended up being a biter. My suggestion - hook up with a BC rescue, ask for a dog that is more than four years old, has a known history, is not a problem, and really needs a loving home....it will take a little time, but you'll get one. Meanwhile, your heart will heal. I got my pups way too soon after losing Scotty. The turn around was when I was sleeping, dreaming of Scotty, and I opened my eyes, and there was little red and white Robin looking at me with his green eyes saying "It's okay -- I"m here for you." You"ll have that moment too.

Liz

I already looked at the foster questionnaire and I thought long and hard about it and talked to my husband and then checked "adult" and "senior" and "low to moderate" activity level. And then wrote a bunch of stuff about wanting if at all possible a laid back temperament and explaining why.

That would describe DW and me. What the Hell are we doing with a Border Collie?!? :rolleyes:

Personally, I would advise that you not get another dog for a long while. Given the life stresses you outlined a few months ago when you first mentioned Pan here, it sounds like you and your husband would do better without the responsibility at this time. Just my opinion.

Personally, I would advise that you not get another dog for a long while. Given the life stresses you outlined a few months ago when you first mentioned Pan here, it sounds like you and your husband would do better without the responsibility at this time. Just my opinion.

I would second that, Mary. You need time to digest what happened and come to grips with your sadness and guilt feelings. I understand that you have a big hole in your life right now, but I would enjoy or try to enjoy some time off from dealing with anything potentially stressful. Going on a trip sounds like a great idea. Going to the shelter to volunteer is nice, just take it easy with that too. You don't need any more heartache right this moment.

Take care of yourself, and keep posting here!

:)

I don't know. We all grieve and heal in our own ways. Some people wait months or years to get another dog. Some never feel they can go through the pain again and so never do. Others bring home a new dog within days. The main thing is it needs to be right for the individual(s) and the new dog.

It's not about grieving. I realize that people grieve differently. When I got Solo (which, to be fair, was not really planned) my previous dog had only been dead for 11 days. It was too soon, but it wasn't too soon. It's about being ready for a dog, period, and frankly I think the OP would be better off remaining dogless until she gets other life issues worked out.

It's about being ready for a dog, period, and frankly I think the OP would be better off remaining dogless until she gets other life issues worked out.

Melanie, could you write me about this in a personal message please? I'm not sure what you're talking about or why you're being so vocal. Thanks.

I think the chances of you ending up with another dog with such severe issues is unlikely. And you've proven that you will go the extra mile to work with a dog with problems. I disagree with SoloRiver, you are perfectly capable of giving a dog what it needs in your current situation. I hope your next dog is healthy physically and mentally.

Best Regards,

BM

Pan's Mom,

I never commented on your posts about Pan. I read them all with great interest, but never felt that I knew enough to add to the discussion.

I feel deeply for your loss. Over the years my wife and I have said good bye to a great many of our canine companions, many times sooner than nature should have allowed.

I will not be one to presume to say that you should or should not get another dog or when. All I can say is to follow your heart and it will lead you in the right direction.

When I lost my boy Zeke about 5 years ago, I knew I did not want another dog soon. About a year later, I came across Bernie (through a post on this board) originally to foster, but he was such a sweet guy and he reminded me of Zeke in that he loves everyone and everything, but I have never compared one against the other.

When we tragically lost our Baby Girl in October of 2007, we got Nisa less than 3 weeks later and Tasha in December and I don't regret it. (Well I do because today Tasha and Nisa got into a nasty fight)

So please don't let me or anyone else tell you how long to wait or anything else about future dogs.

You will know.

Pan's Mom,

I am saddened by your loss and appreciate your struggle to help Pan. We have had a lifetime of Border Collies (40+ years) and I know that what you did for Pan was not easy….it is never easy.

I agree with Gary 100%. And as Brandon pointed out the chances of getting another mis-wired dog would be highly unlikely. There are a few wannabe psychologists on this board who think they know what is best for you and your family, but in the end only you can resolve these issues in your own mind and heart.

Best wishes ...

Howard

• 4 months later...

Dear Pan's Mom,

I realize it was many months ago that you had to deal with the same terrible situation my co-worker went through in May of this year. I know they are still looking for another dog, but the right one and the right time has not yet come. I sure hope you are doing ok and coping, wow the pages in this thread brought tears to my eyes, so many people here know how hard this was for you.

In the meantime, my own life turned upside down and that is why I am just now reading your posts.

In July, while Tucker & I were at a Agility Trial, my S.O. passed away of a massive heart attack.

When we came home from the trial, we found him.

Needless to say my life has been in turmoil but I would be out of my mind if not for Tucker.

Tucker went through depression, even though S.O. was not the one who trained him, he was there always and Tucker Herded him every step of the day. After his death, he would lay in the yard when I came home from work and wait for him to pull in the drive, he thought he was coming back home. Then he would come to the door and bark for me to come outside with him. It was sad, and the only thing I could think of to help him adjust was another dog. Now that sounded like the craziest idea in the world in the midst of a upside down world, but fate had a different idea.

One Saturday morning I was on my Facebook page, and a border collie breeder posted a pic of a rescue dog BC/Lab mix, that had been transported from Kentucky to PA. Her pic struck me, her past unknown, as she was a stray that wound up in SPCA there. Well Sunday morning Tucker & I made a trip to the foster moms house to meet her. While there, I found that the foster mom, who now has a BC from the breeders litter, also experienced the same thing you and my co-worker did with a resue BC. They tried the medication, training, everything they could think of, and found the medication unearthed a more unstable bahaviour, as you found. Wow the things she and her husband said sounded like a repeat of all I know others have been through. All of you made a decision that every dog lover would never want to have to make. Bless you all, God has a special place for you in heaven.

Well I have had Allie now for 4 months this coming weekend. She turned Tucker around 360 and he is a happy dog with a playmate. They get along great together, for which I am very happy! She experienced her first snow this weekend, and started her first foundation agility class last week. She is big girl, about 2 years old they figure. She has come a long way in 4 months given the time I have had for training her. She has one issue though, she does not like strangers entering the property. She is fine once she knows the person, but not so fine if not. She is fine with all people & dogs off the property though. Maybe time will help this, I am not sure, but I know that she must greet people very slowly on her own turf. And given all I have learned in the past year, from stories here and people I know, I am grateful her issue is one I can deal with.

When I have some time I will post pics of them, but life is so crazy now. Tucker is doing very well in Agility, within a years time, I am so proud of him and I know S.O. would be too.

To all who read this post,

Peace be with you,

Pia, Tucker & Allie

Hi, I just want to send you my thoughts and don't worry so much these things happen and you have done what you can to help. At least you can recognise so to make the right decision.

My boss has 4 border collie and a pig dog. One of her pups Midget (2years) was born with fluid on her brain so she was handraised. She is mentally handicapped and always moves to the left with her head tilting that way. She isn't completely stupid she can be quite clever but her motion is all out of whack and can't understand some situations. High pitched noises set her off and she goes into a wild frenzy and will attack anything that is nearby whether that is dog or human. Nothing can snap her out of it and they have to hold her down to the floor until she calms down. She has bitten her owners many times including infront of other people but her mum just doesn't have the heart to put her down because she hand raised her and she is fine at other times. But it only has to take a whistle or something on the tv to set her off.

Anyway this story was just to show you that you have done the right things, the hard thing, but the right one.

Good Luck

Dear Pans Mom,

My deepest condolences to you. Letting a loved one go is the hardest thing you can do . But I do believe they are waiting at the bridge for us. Follow your heart , it will tell you when something is right. Once you experience the true love, devotion and loyalty of a canine companion , you will not know what to do with out it.

Give yourself some time , and somehow I believe Pan will send someone into your way. :rolleyes:

To all who have recently added to this thread, Pan's mom (Mary) did indeed get a new dog. Her name is Vala. I'm sure Mary will see this and respond herself, but if you're interested in Vala, you could probably do a search using that name and you'll find the posts where Mary talked about bringing her home from the shelter, etc. (If you scroll up to Mary's last post to this thread, you'll see a picture of Vala in her sig line.)

Here's the thread in which Mary discusses the possibility of getting a new dog: Getting Vala: The Peril of Animal Rescue Volunteer Work.

J.

Pia,

I am so, so sorry to hear of your loss. I can't even begin to imagine how terrible it was to come home and find your SO gone. Would you be willing to re-post this story in its own thread? I think it will get lost here, and I know there are probably a lot of regulars on the boards who have missed you and have been wondering what happened. Peace be with you as well.

J.

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words, yes I can repost it to it's own thread.

And I followed your link and left a message for Pans Mom there, thanks for the update, she is so cute,

I am so glad she has a new pup to love.

Pia

Pia,

I am so, so sorry to hear of your loss. I can't even begin to imagine how terrible it was to come home and find your SO gone. Would you be willing to re-post this story in its own thread? I think it will get lost here, and I know there are probably a lot of regulars on the boards who have missed you and have been wondering what happened. Peace be with you as well.

J.