BC Boards

bitch in heat

RoseAmy

Okay before you get the flame throwers out. I'm asking for a friend who has no intention of breeding these two dogs she is just wondering whats up. So am I.

She has a young bitch that is on day 14 of her first heat. Her male dog has seemed to take no notice..Note they are not together she has them crated in seperate parts of the house. However he does go out to potty in the same areas and doesn't seem to act like there is anything up. When she needs to switch them she leads the male dog in the exchange so there is no accidents. However neither dog seems to take notice of each other.

In the past when one of her bitches were in heat her male dog was a real pain. At the worst of it she would farm him out with me for a couple of weeks. She called me to ask what I thought. She's wondering if there may be something wrong with one of them. It got me baffled. Anyone got any ideas?

Maybe he's just not that into her?

When my older bitch Fly used to go into season (she is now spayed), she and my male Solo (who has been neutered since he was 18 months old) used to, um, have a great old time and even managed to tie twice (I was trying to monitor this behavior, but they were pretty sneaky). Fly was a shameless flirt and would pester Solo as much as he pestered her. My young bitch, Jett, has gone into season twice, and Solo has acted like absolutely nothing was happening either time. Jett stays totally out of Solo's way at all times and this behavior did not change when she went into season.

I mentioned the difference here a while back, and was told that dogs have their preferences just like humans do. Seems like a good explanation to me.

Some of our females drive the males nuts others don't. When Indy was around I about wanted to send him to the pound everytime Lilly was in heat, where as he couldn't give a rip about the other females. I don't miss those days. Though, as a whole it seems that the young females tend to generate less interest then the older ones, many of my first timers go through their cycle without the males even paying any notice.

Deb

believe me she is counting her blessings and she won't let her guard down. Just was curious as to why. he always before was a real manic that's why she would send him to stay with me. Someone else suggested that because it's her first heat she is not cycling right and therefore just not smelling as "nice"

There are some girls that are just more openly fertile. I swear Claire puts a neon sign out over her crate door from Day 1 to Day 24, and sometimes a few extra. The boys are just gaga over her, but with Dinah they could care less except on certain days.

Lately I've been telling people Claire is part Veela