BC Boards

dog seeing owner's privates

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if all humans were as casual and natural about their bodies as dogs/animals are, we'd probably have less sexual crime.

Dogs couldn't care less about our bodies....it's our being/person/soul/spirit/whatever (except bodies) that they love about us.

Can you imagine being too tall...or too fat or too thin or too well endowed/poorly endowed for your dog to love you???

And Vicki.........tell the truth........wasn't that a trick that you taught your sheltie????

donna

Lance, look at this way: Dogs lick their private parts in front of the preacher, your grandma, whoever, and never get a red face. They sniff each others butts like it was earning them extra treats! Seriously, I know you like your retractable waste remover, but a dog could care less. Unless it smells like dog butt or bitch-in-heat pee. And if it does, you need to start another thread on ANOTHER board! :rolleyes:

Janet,

Hard to say. I do find it hard to believe that someone who has played sports (showered at the gym) and been in the military would still have an issue with what others might see, but I suppose it's possible NOT to get used to it. Must have made for a miserable time in the military, etc., though....

J.

I've heard a lot from new BC owners which include some of the dogs who I've placed "I like him, but why does he always stare"----and I doubt that they are talking private parts. If it's beyond seeing, and it's actually staring at the persons private parts, maybe that can be even more unsettling? And I can't believe I'm even typing something like this.

I don't understand what is so unusual about my question. One person thought it might be a hoax. Another could not understand how someone could go to gym and shower, and go through military and still be modest.hmmm...Maybe I never felt comfortable showering in high school locker room after gym and might have missed a few showers. My Military career was in army reserves for 6 yrs. No showers required during weekend drills once a month. My active duty consisted of 4 and a half months. I really don't think I'm one of a kind. I believe there are many Modest people who don't feel comfortable showing there privates to others including animals.

Just to take it a step further. I'm not ashamed of my body. I have a muscular build. I'm Just modest.

Don't worry Lance. My husband is the same way and doesn't want the dogs to see him. He's even very modest around me.

Rest assured that a dog doesn't know that your private parts are private. They mean absolutely nothing to them. Just like if you showed your dog your power bill for the month.

Means absolutely nothing to them. But if it does to you then don't worry about it, that's just the way you are.

Lance, I think it just shows how uptight people are in general about anything nude or sexual. I don't mean you. People's nudity and sexual hangups show up in all different ways. I have wondered if this was a hoax as well, nothing against you, it has just brought up some very interesting topics that have little to do with your original question.

Is it only in America that we are incapable of discussing nudity or bodily functions without tying this in to sex?

I thought you did get some good and practical info from some folks about handling your dog in the woods while you were otherwise occupied. I hope it helps you. I also thought it was rather unkind the way some people poked fun at you.

My point about EVERYONE having hangups is that people who live in glass houses, blah blah blah. I don't think there is a human in America who doesn't have some issue in this area that is unique to them (I am not saying your issue is all that unique).

Those of us who WISH there were folks in the household who had your particular area of uniqueness can only imagine what that would be like. But, that gives no one any right to tease about yours. You posed a serious question that deserves serious and practical advice like you got from Laurie.

Anyway, what I am saying is that I would appreciate a little more modesty, not only in my house, but in the whole of the United States!! And a little less jr. high mentality of tying everything to do with bodies as sexual.

Good luck, and I hope you are able to overcome your modest feelings to be able to enjoy your walks in the woods with your dog. Isn't that what this is all about?

Ok, I am already apologizing for getting preachy again. As an excuse, my dad is a shrink, spending much time with sexually deviant behavior (Lance, I am SOOOO not talking about you)

I just found Donna's point very telling. You don't hear about adult dogs molesting puppies (I know now I will)

>

There are certainly many modest people who don't feel comfortable showing their privates to others. It's the "including animals" part that I think is pretty unusual. None of the reasons I can think of for feeling uncomfortable about having others see your privates would apply to dogs seeing them. They would only apply to people. That's why I asked earlier what exactly your concerns were.

Since only you know what your concerns are, I guess only you can decide if the comfort and convenience of being able to urinate on walks in the woods with your dog outweigh them.

I guess it might depend on how interested the dog (or cat, snake, hedgehog, ferret....) was? None of our pets ever cared about any of our personal paarts or business - unless there was a full Pamper involved. Then our lab mix cared a whole lot!

"There are certainly many modest people who don't feel comfortable showing their privates to others. It's the "including animals" part that I think is pretty unusual."

I really thought not to reply to your statement Eileen, but feel like your judging me. I am far from being unusual. My common sense tells me if people are modest showing there privates to others. Why would not wanting to show privates to animals be so unusual. Don't many consider their dogs their kids. I don't have any kids, but if I did, I'm sure I would not feel comfortable being naked around them.

Wow. An interesting topic. And seriously it is personel preference. I think a dog notices a human's penis becuase when your dressed they don't see it then suddenly there is something there that wasn't there. I've seen my dog look at "it" when I change. (Probably laughing in his mind). For females a dog might notice the shape of the breasts whatever size they are in clothes and out of clothes they will still have the same siloute. But like I said with a male that is something new since our clothes don't necesarily follow the shape of the Penis.

I myself am the type where I don't care. I could go to an eskimo convention naked and not feel out of place. When I was hospitalized last May and just got out of ICU and started walking again. They gave me a wet cloth bath. Which sucks when it is cold in the hospital. And I'm not making excuses. Well my nurse forgot to put a gown on my backside so my butt was hanging out.

Later on that day I walked by myself some and a nurse saw me walking and stopped to tell me how well I'm doing. (I walked 25ft). Well I was right in front of the ICU waiting room with a room full of people getting an excellent view of my butt. I didn't care though.

What I really don't enjoy is waking up first thing to a nasty smelling fart and my dogs butt right there in my face. It's ok though. I fought back.

If you have a cat and something is dangling (I'm assuming your a male) you need to be careful. I learned that the hard way.

If you have a problem with Nudity. Drink Tequila for a while. Or just go with what you feel is right. I do all my numbers in front of my dog. I have showered and bathed in front of my dog. And I am not bothered by it. I don't believe it matters much to the dog.

Thanks for the interesting topic

Smitty

>

I don't see why. Just because I don't understand what your concerns are doesn't mean I'm judging you. I certainly don't think that feeling the way you do is morally bad, or anything like that. It must be inconvenient, but you're the only one being inconvenienced.

>

I'll take your word for it.

>

Because animals have no prurient interest. They don't relate to you sexually. They don't have standards about how genitals should look, or whether genitals should be covered or not. They couldn't care less.

>

Well, I suppose so, in the sense that they love them and feel responsible for their welfare. But I think they generally recognize significant differences between dogs and kids. >>

>

Or feeding them on the floor either, probably. Or letting them defecate in the back yard or drink out of the toilet.

But hey, I'm kinda sorry I posted to a topic like this to begin with. Do what feels right to you. What does anyone else's opinion have to do with it?

Eileen,

I'm kinda sorry you posted to this topic also. The more you say, the more I feel offended. Your last statement :

What does anyone else's opinion have to do with it?

I thought one of the purposes of this forum was learning how to live with a Border Collie.As you must know Owning a Border Collie is different then owning any other breed of dog. I never had a dog that wanted to be with me every second of the day. including when I'm in the bathroom. From reading the many posts of others. And how natural they feel about their dogs seeing them in many situations, I have taking steps in trying to feel more comfortable....leaving the bathroom door open when I urinated. I honestly felt less modest. I do take Bandit on long walks often at state park nature trails. We both enjoy it. I think I will enjoy it much more now if I'm not so uptight about him seeing me urinate. I feel reading the many responses helped greatly.

So Lance, did you read my post? Have you started training those stays yet? Or maybe you were just looking to start controversy and not really interested in a viable answer...I took your question seriously and I really did put a lot of thought into giving you concrete training advice on how to deal with your hiking/peeing problem...

I'm looking forward to hearing about the progress...

Maybe I can inject a little humor here, and lighten things up. A few years back, I was off riding my mare down a little-used, long dirt road that leads to Little Sandy Creek. Now, that area can be quite busy with kayakers, campers, and hikers on nice weekends but is usually devoid of people on the weekday as it leads nowhere and no one lives down there.

Being a charter member of the TWBS (teeny-weeny bladder society), I had to make a pit stop by my favorite boulder alongside the dirt access road to the river. The rock is perfect - big enough to provide a little privacy (watch out for the brambles in back) and just right for remounting my tallish mare afterwards.

Well, there I was squatting down as behind the rock as I could get, and Molly started dancing at the end of her reins (reins on English bridles are way shorter than those on Western bridles). Instead of staying in front of me in the road and helping provide "cover", she shimmied past me and got behind me (meanwhile, my tight breeches were down below my knees, etc., and I couldn't move at all).

And just then, the source of her agitation came around the bend and right by us - a bus. Full of kayakers. What little cover the boulder normally would provide was non-existent when it came to the vantage point from the bus. I just dropped my head and pretended I wasn't there until it disappeared around the next bend.

I made sure to tell my daughter that, if any of her kayaking friends were to ask if she knew or was related to a woman with a white horse, she was to say, "Absolutely not. I have no idea whom you are talking about."

Now, how do I teach Molly a better "stay"?

And just then, the source of her agitation came around the bend and right by us - a bus. Full of kayakers. What little cover the boulder normally would provide was non-existent when it came to the vantage point from the bus. I just dropped my head and pretended I wasn't there until it disappeared around the next bend.
That busload of people probably broke out in a chorus of "When the Moon Comes Over the Mountain". I can hear it now.

Hi Laurie,

Yes I read your post to me. Maybe in the future I will try your sugestions. Right now I don't trust Bandit completely off his leash when were walking. I've let him off his leash at deserted beach a few times. He does not come back imediately when I whistle to him. He will go future away from me. Sometimes out of site, then come to me. It has caused some anxiety for me. Not knowing if he is getting into trouble or running away. At the nature trails we go on there are also joggers and bikes around on occasion.. I would be affraid off his leash Bandit may nip at someone. Or even run away, or come into contact with a wild animal.

Any sugestions on how I might get him to come to me right away when I call him.