BC Boards

Ok, y'all, need some opinions/help

Let me preface this by saying this is my fault, and I know better.

I have three beautiful BC girls, Lucy, Ethel, and my foster, Bessie.

I used to (and can again) crate them every night, but usually I just let them roam around in the kitchen/den areas (no carpet, easy sweep).

Two nights ago, I got the big bag of trash out of the -so far- BC-proof trashcan (Sam's, $80) and set it in the middle of the kitchen, intending to put more trash in it from other rooms before taking it outside.

Phone rang, then sat in chair and watched TV, fell asleep---woke up at midnight, bade the girls good night, and went to sleep.

You guessed it---trash FIESTA!!!!

Ethel is my usual dumpster diver (she's the reason I got the trash can), but Bessie likes it too. Lucy, more picky, will only dumpster dive certain particular things, if it pleases her.

So I literally have three suspects.

Last night when I got home, there was some "evidence" by way of a bit of poop on the floor (doesn't happen very often, usually only if somebody's sick, or if Lucy is "making a statement"--you can always tell those, they're right in the middle of the room, in a pile. This wasn't like that.).

Tonight, however, not only was there diarrhea all over both rooms, some of it was a loose stool, floating in/surrounded by a thick viscous clear substance (looked like puke? or even snot? I've never seen it before), with blood in it. Also featured were spots of blood all over the room.

I checked all three; all were their usual happy selves. When I opened the door upon arriving, they ran outside as usual (MUST...CONQUER...SQUIRRELS), barking, playing. I checked all three rears, thinking some might have gotten on the surrounding area---nothing, all clean. All the dog food was gone (I just leave dry down all day). All the blood was dry. The diarrhea was pretty dry (all of it had been there probably since this morning). I checked teeth/gums, they appeared normal---no cuts, blood. Of course I've spent the last two hours mopping....

To my knowledge, there was no glass or other breakable in the trash, just the usual household trash---plastic containers, used coffee filters and coffee grounds, an jar of old mayo (plastic, still intact), wrappers, an old milk carton (milk poured out before carton thrown away), etc.

So:

Should I be worried?

Should I crate tonight and see if we have any further "accidents"?

Should I take all three to the vet (I'm pretty broke right now)?

Suggestions? Opinions???

The blood is probably just caused from irritation in the gut. It can be caused by anything a dog eats that doesn't agree with it. I would withhold food for 12-24 hours to give the diarrhea time to clear up and just monitor them as long as they are still bright, alert and active.

The blood is probably just caused from irritation in the gut. It can be caused by anything a dog eats that doesn't agree with it. I would withhold food for 12-24 hours to give the diarrhea time to clear up and just monitor them as long as they are still bright, alert and active.

Thanks. I am not normally alarmist, but blood scares me a bit.

I think Jetta's right. I've seen a little blood when Abby goes dumpster diving. Just keep an eye on them for a day or so. O don't think you need to be reminded about securing the trash. :rolleyes:

So:

Should I be worried?

Should I crate tonight and see if we have any further "accidents"?

Should I take all three to the vet (I'm pretty broke right now)?

Suggestions? Opinions???

I would worry and take them to the vet if they stop eating and continue to have bloody stools, vomiting, etc.

I would crate whenever you are not home until they can be left out with no incidents.

Coffee grinds are on the toxic list for dogs, they can cause caffeine toxicity. They are also known to cause severe diarrhea. Do you know how much coffee grinds they may have eaten?

Not sure, but there were a LOT of coffee grounds all over the floor. They've never expressed any interest in eating the coffee grounds when the did the dumpster diving before. They must've thought the milk carton (cardboard) tasted pretty good, though, there wasn't much left of it.

I do bacon in the microwave, put paper towel on a plate and lay the bacon on top (absorbs the grease, makes the bacon flat and crispy which is how I like it). Paper towel goes in the trash.

Lots of "digested" paper towel around this morning, so I think that was the main attraction ("It's BACON!").

I think Jetta's right. I've seen a little blood when Abby goes dumpster diving. Just keep an eye on them for a day or so. O don't think you need to be reminded about securing the trash. :rolleyes:

Sadly, this is not the first time I've EVER done that, but it is the first time in over 2 years (we moved in this house 2 years ago and I haven't done it here---until now---).

I would worry and take them to the vet if they stop eating and continue to have bloody stools, vomiting, etc.

I would crate whenever you are not home until they can be left out with no incidents.

Well, the good news is that the crates were dry when I got home. No problems. Everybody seemed happy and energetic, tails wagging, tongues lolling, etc. Lots of chasing squirrels and barking outside.

I withheld food, though there was some scattered on the floor from their last feeding. That got hoovered up tonight. If no accidents in the morning when I get up, I'll try feeding and see what happens.

Thanks, all for the replies. I was really worried but I think it's going to be ok.