BC Boards

Thunderphobic Working Dogs

OurBoys

Jake and I have been taking lessons. Unfortunately, he's thunderphobic. I know in a perfect world you would only work in great weather but that's not real life. With Jake, if the storm comes in slowly and I keep him occupied, he does good. But if the storm comes in fast and hits hard, he totally shuts down. Does anyone on here have a thunderphobic dog they work with? If so, how does the thunder effect your dog while working livestock? Are they affected differently while working vs while they are in the house during a storm?

We're still going to continue with training no matter what because I feel I could use Josie (who is bombproof) to fall back on but in the meantime, I think Jake is a better dog for MY training.

My thunderphobic dogs tend to keep working during thunder, though they react badly in the house.

A not-quite thunder example: where I used to live, I kept some sheep at my neighbor's place. Her neighbor used to target shoot. Twist actually dislikes gunshots more than she dislikes thunder. If I were at Joy's moving sheep around or doing whatever work needed doing and the neighbor started target shooting, Twist would continue to work as if no shooting was going on. But when we were done working, you could clearly see that the gunshots distressed her. So really I think the focus on work allows at least some dogs to tune out noises they don't like.

J.

I think all my dogs so far have been sound-sensitive (Ted's not but he's not quite three, too early to show milder thunderphobia). I've never had a problem with my dogs leaving. In fact, the most sensitive dog I've had is Cord, who has no problem leaving at other times if he feels like it.

I've had to move sheep (significant distances) with Cord as a tropical storm hit with tornadoes and whatnot all around and I swear he actually works better when distracted by weather. Weirdo. >_>

My 8 year old #1 dog has always been noise-phobic--thunder, gunshots, backfires, etc. When she hears these noises, her preference is to run to me. When she is working and we have thunder, I can tell she doesn't like it, but she'll continue to work. Usually what she does is glance over her shoulder at me nervously, but she'll stay on her job. The only time it really interferes is when we are doing setout and she is lying down holding sheep. If there is thunder, there is no way she will hold her position--she will get up and come to me. Apparently, actively working is Ok; merely holding is not. So, when we are doing setout and I hear thunder coming, I put her in the truck and use her daughter,

A

Thanks, ladies! I feel better about Jake. I can also see how constant moving would/could be better than lying down for him. Heck, staying busy helps me when I'm stressed! Come to think about it, working stock would simply be another form of redirecting his anxiety and getting him to focus on something other than his phobia/fear.

Please remind me of that saying "Be careful what you wish for..........." I soooo want a farm.

I mean you could do what I did....take your rescue dog to see if he will work, decide he isn't going to be a working dog but still buy sheep because he had "fun" doing it, then buy another really nice young dog to work the sheep with, decide you want to be a competitive handler so take an older retired open dog to help you get started, get on a puppy list....and do it all in less than a year!!

Resistance was futile, wasn't it? :rolleyes:

A

Like the others my thunderphobic dog is far less reactive when she's working. When she's in the house she's a mess, but she'll work through it - up to a point. However, if it gets too close she's out of there (but then again she's not got the same amount of drive as the dogs mentioned above so keep that very much in mind). I'll never forget the time we were out helping Becca with shearing, and a storm was coming. She kept trying to work through it, but finally it became too much and she loaded herself up in the shearer's truck. But she did work through the thunder and lightening for quite a while.

Now I'm curious. I wonder just how long Jake would work thru his anxiety before making a beeline to the house when a storm comes up..... It sounds like working sheep is beneficial to him in more ways than one.

I mean you could do what I did....take your rescue dog to see if he will work, decide he isn't going to be a working dog but still buy sheep because he had "fun" doing it, then buy another really nice young dog to work the sheep with, decide you want to be a competitive handler so take an older retired open dog to help you get started, get on a puppy list....and do it all in less than a year!!

LOL! Kelly, I don't think I could get there that fast! Wait a minute, Jake IS a rescue dog.

Welcome to the Borg.
Resistance was futile, wasn't it?
Oh yeah, this has definately been the beginning of the end for her.

Huh?? What?? I don't know what you guys are talking about!! :rolleyes::D It wasn't much of a stretch for me. I've always enjoyed making garden and each year I complain about not having enough land to plant everything I want to but I think I'm one step closer. We're in search of a tractor now!

Oh yeah, this has definately been the beginning of the end for her. :rolleyes:

This tiny voice inside me is going, "Be afraid, be very afraid." !!!

And on the thunderphobia thing, I can't tell if the take-home message is that it's cool that a dog will work sheep while hearing thunder when he otherwise would be panicking, or that getting involved with sheepdogs makes people so nutty they play around outside in lightening storms!

Barbara

Barbara,

We're not really nutty enough to play around outside in lightning storms, but there are times when stuff has to get done and there's thunder rumbling in the distance. I can think of only a few times where I really had to be out in lightning/thunder that preceded a storm. One of those was because the shearer was coming the next day and you can't shear wet sheep, so I had to move the sheep from their pasture to the barn before the rain hit. We just (and I mean just) made it into the barn that evening. And I can say with certainty that *I* was way more freaked out by the lightning popping around than Twist was.... Another time I was setting sheep at a trial and a storm came up suddenly. Lucky for me and the pen person, the trial host had built a shed over part of the set out pens, so we, the dogs, and the sheep all huddled in there together.

And don't fear the Borg--we're a very nice collective! :rolleyes:

ETA: Around here the storm will appear to be coming and you'll hear thunder and perhaps see lightning, but then the storm will turn and follow the rivers either north or south of here, so it's possible to be working a dog in thunder when there's no real storm threat.

J.

Lately here it thunders in the distance from about 2pm until 9pm. It actually rains and thunders closely for only about an hour of this. Pretty typical for this region, and if you stayed inside for all of it you'd never get anything done. (Well, some of us would have a super clean house, but not me LOL)

My late Tazzmin was super storm phobic but worked fine during it. You had to have you hand on her before you said Thatll Do or she'd bolt willy nilly. Sometimes to home, sometimes just anywhere.

Most of my dogs, including Tazzie, were gun sound. Doesn't seem to be the same thing.

Barbara,

We're not really nutty enough to play around outside in lightning storms, but there are times when stuff has to get done and there's thunder rumbling in the distance.

Oh good, that sounds reasonable :D That is a very nice image of you all huddled under cover at the trial together.

And don't fear the Borg--we're a very nice collective! :rolleyes:

If the Borg is the Board, then not only do I not fear it, but it has been a *wonderful* resource. I have learned a lot from old and new posts and video links. My little voice is fearing how people can get a dog and before they know it they wind up with things like tractors. People have joked with me about that, but I never really thought it applied to me---now I read these latest posts and don't dare wonder where it could all lead...

At the risk of looking like a real doofus, may I ask what a Borg is?

Barbara

It's a Star Trek thing.

I can tell you the road:

Go to a lesson or two with your dog.

Go to more lessons and start thinking, well if i'm driving there anyway, might as well have 2 dogs to learn with.

Geez, since i have 2 dogs, i could learn and get more bang for the buck if i could put sheep somewhere.

Hmm, all my friends go to dog trials, maybe i'll try it.

Okay, now i need a bigger truck since i have 4 dogs now.

Dang, hotels are expensive, might as well get a camper.

If i'm ever gonna get good, i need a farm and more sheep.

Sure wish i had time to go to a dog trial and use that camper that's gathering dust, but i'm too busy on this farm!

(Still want me to bring those book and videos for you tomorrow?! :rolleyes: )

It's a Star Trek thing.

I can tell you the road:

Go to a lesson or two with your dog.

Go to more lessons and start thinking, well if i'm driving there anyway, might as well have 2 dogs to learn with.

Geez, since i have 2 dogs, i could learn and get more bang for the buck if i could put sheep somewhere.

Hmm, all my friends go to dog trials, maybe i'll try it.

Okay, now i need a bigger truck since i have 4 dogs now.

Dang, hotels are expensive, might as well get a camper.

If i'm ever gonna get good, i need a farm and more sheep.

Sure wish i had time to go to a dog trial and use that camper that's gathering dust, but i'm too busy on this farm!

(Still want me to bring those book and videos for you tomorrow?! :rolleyes: )

Heck yeah, bring it on, I don't see books and videos listed on that road, so I must still be safe!! :D

Aw, geez. I'm in deeper than I realized. We've also talked about getting a bigger truck and a camper. Even today but I turned the conversation back over to tractors. The lease on our Tahoe is up at the end of the month and I told Les we better get the tractor now while the Mountaineer is still roadworthy. By the time the tractor is paid off, the Mountaineer will need to be replaced. And the first livestock we would get are chickens. I'll need a greenhouse too. (Yeah, I got a plan.)

Be sure to size that tractor for your future farm.

Mark, We've already thought of that. At first we were thinking about getting something similiar in size to a John Deere 4100 series. It would be big enough to do want we want to do around here yet light enough to run over the septic lines because our lawn mower is 15 yrs old and in need of being replaced. Now we're thinking about getting a separate lawn tractor so we can cut the grass and a more heavy duty tractor. It all boils down to how much bang we can get for our buck.

My little 'Living the Country Life' magazine came in the mail today. Articles listed on the cover are 'EGGcellent recipes', 'Backyard Bantams' and 'Pasture Tips'. I'm ashamed to admit this but I'll be glad when mom's physical therapist leaves so I can get to reading my magazine. She'll be here any minute. I wonder how much I could get read before she gets here.....

Really helpful thread. So let me pose this question: what do you do with your thunderphobic dog to help them work through their issues? I'm with Julie - not keen on the idea of standing in an open field with thunder crackin'. Cal is thunderphobic and getting worse as time progresses. Now just a hard rain sends her into hiding. We were working one afternoon and, without warning (no rumbling in the distance), a thunderclap scared the crap out of both of us. I calmly walked off and she followed, shaking like a leaf. Is that what I should have done? Would it have been better if I'd have sent her on a quick gather just to get her mind off it?

We don't get thunder here, hardly ever. But I can tell you we've encountered it plenty at trials--big trials that count, like Finals, or Meeker, more than once. Probably the hardest rain I've seen is a couple of different years at Finals, and we ran in it. So when we DO get some thunder here (and just rain, too), I seize the opportunity and run outside and work my dogs to let them know we still have work to do, no matter what. Now if I see lightning, that's what will send me indoors, but just rain and/or thunder, I'm out there in it.

A

It's a Star Trek thing.

Oh, that just sounds so, well, dismissive! :D If you're a Trekkie** at all, then the Borg need no explaining, lol!

**I'll even admit to having attended Star Trek conventions.

Barbara,

The Borg are one of the other cultures encountered by the people of the Enterprise in Star Trek: The Next Generation. They are part living being (of various species, not just human), part machine/computer (hence cyborg) and the non-human part is what connects them all together in one collective consciousness or hive.

Here's the Wikipedia definition:

The Borg manifest as cybernetically enhanced humanoid drones of multiple species, organized as an interconnected collective, the decisions of which are made by a hive mind. The Borg inhabit a vast region of space in the Delta Quadrant of the galaxy, possessing millions of vessels and having conquered thousands of systems. They operate solely toward the fulfilling of one purpose: to "add the biological and technological distinctiveness of other species to their own" in pursuit of perfection. This is achieved through forced assimilation, a process which transforms individuals and technology into Borg, enhancing, and simultaneously controlling, individuals by implanting or appending synthetic components.

For more information on the Borg, go to the Wikipedia entry.

You can see how the border collie (stockdog) culture could be likened to the Borg. You are being assimilated even as we speak.... :rolleyes:

(Oh, and I had to go to these great lengths of explanation because I am a Borg Queen.)

J.