BC Boards

Starting Over

My Aussie Sam is 5 years old and was started with a BC trainer. He was a bit timid at first but finally worked with her very well. She has since decided not to train our dogs and we are on our own. I have muddled through some of his training but want to start at the beginning again. What would you suggest we work on first? His downs are bad and he hates to comply. Should we work on the stop or stand or insist on the downs? From the start he chases the sheep; splits and grips to get them together. We have semi dog broke hair sheep that admittedly don't all group that well. Any thoughts on what we need to do to start over with his training? Also, what do you think about starting him again with or without a line attached? We live in AZ and don't have access to trainers close by. We really appreciate your help as I think this dog is really worth the effort. Narita in Willcox

My Aussie Sam is 5 years old and was started with a BC trainer. He was a bit timid at first but finally worked with her very well. She has since decided not to train our dogs and we are on our own. I have muddled through some of his training but want to start at the beginning again. What would you suggest we work on first? His downs are bad and he hates to comply. Should we work on the stop or stand or insist on the downs? From the start he chases the sheep; splits and grips to get them together. We have semi dog broke hair sheep that admittedly don't all group that well. Any thoughts on what we need to do to start over with his training? Also, what do you think about starting him again with or without a line attached? We live in AZ and don't have access to trainers close by. We really appreciate your help as I think this dog is really worth the effort. Narita in Willcox

Hi, I have some work to do with my sheep right now so will answer you question later this evening. Bob

Hi there. Sorry, the sheep work turned into two days worth instead of an evening. I would definitely work with a line to start with this dog. The line should be a small clothesline about 3/16" and 50' long. The collar should be tight enough that it won't slide off when leading him. Teach him his stop or stand before going any further with him. If he wasn't chasing and gripping I would say to start with short outruns but you need to get in charge of this dog so you can progress with the training. You don't need to insist on the dog being on his belly but you do need to insist on him stopping when told. That doesn't mean 3 or 4 steps afterward either. It means stop RIGHT NOW! Do this with sheep present so you know how firm you must be as there is a big difference with a dog stopping for you without the sheep and with them. Get your dog on the back side of the sheep from you and lie him down and tell him to stay. As you are walking backwards from him keep telling him to stay, pushing your hand at him making him aware that you don't want him to move. Get yourself back to the sheep on the opposite side of the dog and quietly tell him to "walk up". As he walks up toward the sheep raise your hand and walk towards him telling him to "lie down" or "stand there", whichever you are looking to train him to do. This should be done at a very short distance (20 yards or less to start) and you need to "ASK" the dog to "walk up" and "TELL" him to "lie down" or "stand there". If he breaks and comes right at the sheep, grab your line, get him to you with it, take hold of his collar and take him back where you told him to "lie down", and boldly and firmly tell him in a very harsh manner, "LIE DOWN" and "STAY"The reason we go back to the basics and get control of the dog are evident when you see what is happening when you can't stop him. The more he is allowed to run amok, the longer it will take you to train him to do it right. When you walk out onto your training area with the dog on his line don't let him get crazy right off the bat. Let him know you are in charge and he's not allowed to do the crazy stuff. Lie him down a few times on the way to the field so that he gets the idea you are in charge. Long line on him all the time. Get hold of him, let him know you are boss and things will go much better from here on. YOU ALSO NEED TO WANT TO BE IN CHARGE OF YOUR DOG. THAT'S THE HEAD SPACE YOU NEED TO BE IN. You can't bluff these guys. They're too smart for that. Get started with this and when you have a good stop on him we'll start to train him. Any questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to get you going. Bob