BC Boards

Another pool question

I didnt want to hijack someone else's thread. But seeing another pool topic reminded me that I had questions about my own. Basically what I'm wondering is what concerns are there if any? It's an above ground chlorine pool. Just under 5ft deep or so. Both Rahne and Callie absolutely love the water. Callie loves to play catch in the pool, Rahne loves to play keep the ball from Callie in the pool. One of the toys that I use with them sinks slowly. Callie generally leaves it alone, but Rahne will dive down after it, completely submerging her head. I'm just worried about ear infections, so should I discourage her diving down like that? One of the things that has been great is the fact that since they are in the pool almost daily I havent had to worry about shedding in the house. It's all in the pool, and Rahne being long haired has been softer then ever.

My other concern has been keeping Rahne out of the water. Callie knows to stay out, but Rahne can go from sitting next to the pool, and jump straight up and land in the pool. And just as quickly be back out of it with that "You didnt see it, so it didnt happen" look on her face. There has been more then one time when I'm working in the back yard and I turn my back on them and suddenly I hear "sploosh" and Rahne is in the water again. She's getting spayed on July 21st, so I know when I bring her home i'll definitely have to make sure she stays out of it.

Thanks for any information/suggestions.

post-8389-1247078660_thumb.jpg

post-8389-1247078668_thumb.jpg

If the dog is sinking her head and getting alot of water in her ears I would dry them, then put whatever ear cleaning solution you use in her ears. Our ear cleaning solution is alcohol baised, so it dries all the water up in the dog's ears.

My dogs would love access to a pool on a regular basis. I guess Rahne will have to be on a leash out in the yard until her stitches come out. I think I'd do like Jennifer says and apply a cleaning solution, but I'd check with the vet and make sure that using it on a regular basis wouldn't cause problems from overdrying.

J.

No advice here but my water-loving dogs would kill to live with you - we don't have access to anything but stocktanks here, and have to make the most of it when we are visiting where there is a pond, creek, or sound.

My vet strongly encourages teaching your dogs pool safety just like kids - and not allowing them access unless supervised. Every year she deals with older dogs drowning in the family pool when they're no longer able to manage to get out on their own and they've been permitted access to the pool when the owners are not home.

My vet strongly encourages teaching your dogs pool safety just like kids - and not allowing them access unless supervised. Every year she deals with older dogs drowning in the family pool when they're no longer able to manage to get out on their own and they've been permitted access to the pool when the owners are not home.

Oh I never let them in the pool unsupervised. I'm working on getting Rahne not to jump in unless I give the ok. And they are never outside during the day when I'm at work. Safety is definitely heavily on my mind.

There are other worries as well - water toxicity. Just make sure she doesn't ingest too much water while playing. It's hard on the kidneys, can cause an imbalance in the electrolytes in the system and can cause damage. Watch for excessive urination especially while it's hot out.