BC Boards

Broken Nail

Jimmyd65

Our Layla has a broken nail on her hind left paw. It cracked last week and now is just about off. It's basically hanging on by the quick and a small portion of nail. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I take her to the vet or just clip it. If I clip she'll probably yelp and be pretty upset.

Thanks,

It depends on how loose it is. If it's just hanging by the barest thread, I'd probably just go ahead and pull it and apply some blood stop powder. If it's more firmly attached, I'd let the vet remove it. If you leave it there, even shorter, a very active dog will probably keep knocking it and causing it to bleed and be painful.

J.

It depends on how loose it is. If it's just hanging by the barest thread, I'd probably just go ahead and pull it and apply some blood stop powder. If it's more firmly attached, I'd let the vet remove it. If you leave it there, even shorter, a very active dog will probably keep knocking it and causing it to bleed and be painful.

J.

Julie,

It's barely hanging on. I'm figuring just to remove VERY quickly.

Oh Julie - hope you are still out there..... Cody split his nail( front left paw), was bleeding, brought him to the vet. She put surgical glue on it. She told me to not wrap it - that he should be okay. I have been trying to keep him quiet. Yesterday evening made it bleed again for a couple of minutes. Today, still favoring it. Are we on a time line like a week before I should expect everything to be back to normal? We were planning a four hour hike on Sat? I assume he should stay home. Any input?

Oh Julie - hope you are still out there..... Cody split his nail( front left paw), was bleeding, brought him to the vet. She put surgical glue on it. She told me to not wrap it - that he should be okay. I have been trying to keep him quiet. Yesterday evening made it bleed again for a couple of minutes. Today, still favoring it. Are we on a time line like a week before I should expect everything to be back to normal? We were planning a four hour hike on Sat? I assume he should stay home. Any input?

It should heal pretty quickly, they generally do. By Saturday the quick may have receded enough that even if the nail is split it may not hurt anymore. If it bled again because the surgical glue didn't hold just try some crazy glue. I've used it on split nails lots of times. I've even used little strips of duct tape wound around split nails before to patch them up and have not had to lay off training. One of the kid & mutt classes Lightning won with my daughter he had a taped nail. I debated whether to enter them or not but it wasn't bothering him so they did it and he was fine. I read on a sled dog message board about some kind of nail repair kit you can get, I'd like to find out more about that. It's supposed to be something that hardens on really well to build up the tips if they get too worn down or broken.

Layla Update: The nail came off on it's own last night, the quick was dry, no bleeding and NO pain. I'm sure this won't be the last time this happens. We'll need to do a better job keeping her trimmed. I'm sure this had something to do with the split.

Thanks everyone for the input