BC Boards

Pad on back on foot split

Are you talking one of the five pads on the bottom of the foot or the one that's like a little "bumper" slightly up the leg?

My one dog really ripped up the pads on both feet on one side (and also rasped some toenails on the same side down into the quick at the same time) when he was running hard on pavement that had sand on it, a very abrasive surface that he was not accustomed to.

The feet healed within a couple of days, but I never let him run on that surface again. I would think that if this is just due to an injury or a surface that is reasonable but that your dog has not been this active on before, that it should heal with a few days of lesser activity and more forgiving surfaces.

It may just be a matter of "hardening up" to a new surface or activity, or it may be a surface you will need to avoid. Another thought might be a vetwrap cover to avoid damage when being very active.

I am sure someone else will have more experience and better advice for you. Best wishes!

Are you talking one of the five pads on the bottom of the foot or the one that's like a little "bumper" slightly up the leg?

My one dog really ripped up the pads on both feet on one side (and also rasped some toenails on the same side down into the quick at the same time) when he was running hard on pavement that had sand on it, a very abrasive surface that he was not accustomed to.

The feet healed within a couple of days, but I never let him run on that surface again. I would think that if this is just due to an injury or a surface that is reasonable but that your dog has not been this active on before, that it should heal with a few days of lesser activity and more forgiving surfaces.

It may just be a matter of "hardening up" to a new surface or activity, or it may be a surface you will need to avoid. Another thought might be a vetwrap cover to avoid damage when being very active.

I am sure someone else will have more experience and better advice for you. Best wishes!

Thanks for the reply...it is the little "bumper" on the back of the foot. And I have been trying to figure out what happened. My best guess is that when he jumped up on the tree, he cut it on the bark. I put "new skin" on it & have left it unwrapped but you think it may be better to wrap it?

If he's not picking on it, leave it unwraped. I have a veteran in wearing his paw pads raw. At the worst, I put a baby sock on secured with rubber bands but only for when I took him out, so dirt won't get in. It should heal in a couple of days, they always look a lot worse than they are.