BC Boards

Tobey's One Issue

Tobey is adjusting very well here, and I think Izzy has a big role with that. He is 2 and spent the majority of his life tied to a tree. There were kids and small dogs in his previous "home" and as such is good with kids. But, when he sees/hears kids playing he goes nuts and wants to play with them comences barking and jumping around. Just 30 minutes ago he heard our neighbors kids playing in the back yard and just about lost his mind. I went out and corrected him gently and brought him back in the house. On the 4th we were at my parents and a bunch of extra kids showed up and they were running around the yard playing. I had him on a leash b/c there's not fence there and he did the same thing. I brought him in and up to my old bedroom where we had quiet time so he could settle.

He is VERY good with kids and new situations and isn't aggressive at all, it's his barking and getting over the top excited that I can see being a nuisance to other people. My thought is that because he was tied to a tree he spent time trying to get off the tree to play with the kids and that's where this behavior came from.

I'm going to talk to the trainer we use for Izzy and a couple others, but I want BC specific opinions. I'm very happy that as a rescue this is his only issue. Thoughts?

Tim

Do you have the Control Unleashed book? If yes, look up the 'look at that' game and play it with Tobey around kids. If no, go to the nebcr vol list and search for barb's description of the game. You will find it useful. Good luck.

Tobey is adjusting very well here, and I think Izzy has a big role with that. He is 2 and spent the majority of his life tied to a tree. There were kids and small dogs in his previous "home" and as such is good with kids. But, when he sees/hears kids playing he goes nuts and wants to play with them comences barking and jumping around. Just 30 minutes ago he heard our neighbors kids playing in the back yard and just about lost his mind. I went out and corrected him gently and brought him back in the house. On the 4th we were at my parents and a bunch of extra kids showed up and they were running around the yard playing. I had him on a leash b/c there's not fence there and he did the same thing. I brought him in and up to my old bedroom where we had quiet time so he could settle.

He is VERY good with kids and new situations and isn't aggressive at all, it's his barking and getting over the top excited that I can see being a nuisance to other people. My thought is that because he was tied to a tree he spent time trying to get off the tree to play with the kids and that's where this behavior came from.

I'm going to talk to the trainer we use for Izzy and a couple others, but I want BC specific opinions. I'm very happy that as a rescue this is his only issue. Thoughts?

Tim

My Simon loves kids. He is very old now (16 years) and doesn't play much, but when he sees kids, he wags his tail and smiles. When he was very young and I let him outside he would run next door to where the kids were playing and join right in. He was very useful at parties because he loved to entertain kids and make them laugh. Do you think your Tobey would be gentle with kids? If so, maybe some kid time would be good for him - maybe it would it would taper off some of the anxiety he feels by not being able to play with children as much as he did before.

Do you have the Control Unleashed book? If yes, look up the 'look at that' game and play it with Tobey around kids. If no, go to the nebcr vol list and search for barb's description of the game. You will find it useful. Good luck.

I second this......!

My Simon loves kids. He is very old now (16 years) and doesn't play much, but when he sees kids, he wags his tail and smiles. When he was very young and I let him outside he would run next door to where the kids were playing and join right in. He was very useful at parties because he loved to entertain kids and make them laugh. Do you think your Tobey would be gentle with kids? If so, maybe some kid time would be good for him - maybe it would it would taper off some of the anxiety he feels by not being able to play with children as much as he did before.

He was very gentle over the weekend. I have cousins aged 3-14 with almost every age inbetween and they all came. It was unexpected so he did get a bit overexcited, but he's great with kids. Not a bad idea!

Also, I'm going to get control unleashed.

Tim