BC Boards

Leg Weaving Too Slowly

Blake follows all his other commands pretty quickly but is still leg weaving very slowly.

It's kind of like he does one and thinks that's the end of the command, waits until I tell him to do the next one, moves through my legs, stops, and so on. He doesn't seem to get that I want him to do a continuation of weaves until I tell him to stop.

I'm already putting a lot of energy into the command and using lots of praise and treat-jackpots.

Any advice?

Blake follows all his other commands pretty quickly but is still leg weaving very slowly.

It's kind of like he does one and thinks that's the end of the command, waits until I tell him to do the next one, moves through my legs, stops, and so on. He doesn't seem to get that I want him to do a continuation of weaves until I tell him to stop.

I'm already putting a lot of energy into the command and using lots of praise and treat-jackpots.

Any advice?

Did you teach the legs as seperate?

Like weave poles, some dogs take longer. Does he have problems with other chained behaviours? I used a clicker for this one. But I use the clicker as a keep going signal.

Also, did you teach him leg circles? If so, he could be getting confused.

Do you have him entering from the same side all the time to help him learn?

W/o seeing it si hard to say as this is a fairly complicated behaviour. Then, all the dogs I've worked with also do agility so that might help having already learned a weaving pattern.

Hard to know for sure without seeing it, but this most often happens when the dog has a strong reinforcement history of stopping after weaving one leg (note: reinforcement could be in the form of giving another cue!).

The first thing I would try is to do nothing. Just wait. (Don't stare at him, look at the spot where you want him next.) Chances are he will offer something that you can reinforce, even if it's not a completely whole second weave.

Sixx posted a link under another thread "Ideal age for training" (thanks for posting that!) that may be of help.

Barbara

I just learned a little trick that might help.

Instead of feeding from your hand, toss the treat on the floor out ahead of you.

So, to start, cue a leg weave and then another (don't worry if he stops in between), and toss the treat. He might not notice at first but after a few reps, he should be at the ready for the toss.

Once he gets the idea begin to vary the number of weaves - maybe two/toss, then three/toss, then four/toss, then two/toss, then five/toss, etc.

I learned this in the tricks class that I'm taking with Dean. He's a slow leg weaver and this seems to be helping.

I just learned a little trick that might help.

Instead of feeding from your hand, toss the treat on the floor out ahead of you.

So, to start, cue a leg weave and then another (don't worry if he stops in between), and toss the treat. He might not notice at first but after a few reps, he should be at the ready for the toss.

Once he gets the idea begin to vary the number of weaves - maybe two/toss, then three/toss, then four/toss, then two/toss, then five/toss, etc.

I learned this in the tricks class that I'm taking with Dean. He's a slow leg weaver and this seems to be helping.

Thanks Root Beer. I'll give it a shot. :rolleyes:

I taught figures 8s first. I stand w/ legs apart and dog enters same side every time makes a figure 8 around my legs then goes out to catch the ball/frisbee w/e. (this dog flies to catch thrown object, so it's her motivator) Then I taught the leg weave which I start with 1 leg forward (that's the cue) same direction entry as 8s and usually do 2 steps, but mix it up w/ up to 4. Once she got it the concept, just added fetch toy and she's a bullet wrapping my legs as I step, and 'go' is her cue to stop and run straight from me and look for thrown object. Same dog weaves agility poles slow (when she used to do agility) but didn't use fetch as motivator at the time either.

So, could be your motivator and or that your motivator needs to move away from you so it's a forward moving process and not a quazi stand still.