BC Boards

parvo ?

My neighbor just came over the said her son's dog tested positive for Parvo this morning. She was in my yard sniffing. Birdie is up to date on her shots but is due this month to have them. Should I be worried about her getting it ? I'm taking her in next week for her yearly examine and shots.

Thanks and Happy 4th.

I had a puppy I was transporting & overnighting break w/ parvo at my house about a year ago. When I talked to my vet about my own dogs' risk, she said it was very minimal because they were all UTD on their vaccines. Happily, none of them had any problems, and I hope that's the case for Birdie.

As long as her pup didn't have a BM in your yard, I wouldn't be to worried. How old is your dog? It sounds like she is just a year old or so. I think she should be ok.

Birdie is 4 now. There was no BM or urine in my yard. Thanks for the info. I kind of thought it wasn't much of a worry but wanted ask you helpful folks here. Thank again.

Parvo moslty afecs puppies where the vaccinations have not had time to take or did not take at all. It is 90% fatal if left untreated. Adults that have not been vaccinated do get Parvo but it can be treated if caught early enough. Adults can also carry the Parvo virus and not catch it. Once vaccinated or having had Parvo the odds on a dog getting Parvo are slim. search for Parvo here in the forum. My dog Jin got it at 13 weeks and I wrote a couple of threads about Parvo, both the experience and the virus itself.