BC Boards

Does anyone here have an Anatolian Shepherd?

I just saw a dog that was sold to the owner for $1800 as an English Mastiff. This is a very big dog but it sure doesn't look like a mastiff. It looks like an Anatolian Shepherd.

It's bigger than a pyr - taller, is very short haired, beige in color with black around the eyes and muzzle. But it just doesn't have the sqare face and droopy muzzle of a mastiff.

Would it be possible to confuse the two?

I just saw a dog that was sold to the owner for $1800 as an English Mastiff. This is a very big dog but it sure doesn't look like a mastiff. It looks like an Anatolian Shepherd.

It's bigger than a pyr - taller, is very short haired, beige in color with black around the eyes and muzzle. But it just doesn't have the sqare face and droopy muzzle of a mastiff.

Would it be possible to confuse the two?

My friends have 3 Anatolians. There are pictures on their site Borders View Farm That part of their site hasn't been updated in a little while. The two dogs listed are both a little older now and bigger (the male is HUGE!), and they also now have the 3rd Anatolian.

Come out and meet Whoopie. She is our Anatolian, bonded to the goats. She is a fairly small female, but larger than our Pyrs and much more atheletic. She can sail over a 4' fence with ease!

While I don't think anyone familiar with either breed would confuse the 2, Many people may buy one thinking they are the other.

There's a guy living on the Ol' Dunn road who has 3 Anatolians. They run wild in the back country and chase the tour jeeps. They're friendly, very large and every so often one of them buries a Jeep for the hell of it.

they are very sweet dogs.

Come out and meet Whoopie. She is our Anatolian, bonded to the goats. She is a fairly small female, but larger than our Pyrs and much more atheletic. She can sail over a 4' fence with ease!

While I don't think anyone familiar with either breed would confuse the 2, Many people may buy one thinking they are the other.

Don't mastiffs all have that really squared off head and floppy jowels (or however you spell that)? This dog just doesn't have a mastiff face. But it is a really big dog - its almost as big as their great dane. Stupid guy paid $1800 for it and then took it home and chained it in the front yard. And then somehow stabbed it with his knife.

So much for the idea that if people pay a lot for a dog they will take care of it.

My friends have 3 Anatolians. There are pictures on their site Borders View Farm That part of their site hasn't been updated in a little while. The two dogs listed are both a little older now and bigger (the male is HUGE!), and they also now have the 3rd Anatolian.

Boy, this dog looks just like those Anatolian Shepherds - I mean just like that. I would bet that she is about 125 pounds or so. She is a big dog.

Boy, this dog looks just like those Anatolian Shepherds - I mean just like that. I would bet that she is about 125 pounds or so. She is a big dog.

I think my friends females are in that weight range but the male is more like 160 I think she said now. He's just over a year and he's massive. In the pictures on her site he's just a big baby, but even then he makes the one female look small in one shot. We used to have a couple of Great Danes, a brother and a sister. They were very tall Danes but had nowhere near the bulk of the male Anatolian. Our female weighed in the 130's and was leggier but not as solid as the female Anatolians. Her brother was close to 150 and again leggy but not nearly so thick as the Anatolian male. Our guy probably measured about 35"-36", not exactly sure. I know that by the time he was around 8 months old he had outgrown the crate we had borrowed for him. The door on it measured 33" square and if he backed up into the crate his withers would brush the top.

I think my friends females are in that weight range but the male is more like 160 I think she said now. He's just over a year and he's massive. In the pictures on her site he's just a big baby, but even then he makes the one female look small in one shot. We used to have a couple of Great Danes, a brother and a sister. They were very tall Danes but had nowhere near the bulk of the male Anatolian. Our female weighed in the 130's and was leggier but not as solid as the female Anatolians. Her brother was close to 150 and again leggy but not nearly so thick as the Anatolian male. Our guy probably measured about 35"-36", not exactly sure. I know that by the time he was around 8 months old he had outgrown the crate we had borrowed for him. The door on it measured 33" square and if he backed up into the crate his withers would brush the top.

Wow. This dog is a 3 year old female. She may weigh more - I'm not very good at guessing weight especially on really big dogs. She is very gentle but a bit stand offish at first.