BC Boards

Barking at the moon

Has anyone ever heard of a border collie who barks at the moon? Our five-year-old BC rescue, who we've had about two months, just goes crazy when the moon rises above the tree line. He barks, runs back and forth, and stamps his paws on the ground. Sometimes, the only way to calm him is to bring him inside and close the curtains. I've talked to our trainer and several others and they've never heard of this kind of behavior before.

There is a good chance he just doesn't know what it is. I would just calmly bring him indoors and close the curtains or if you are into clicker training him click and treat him for being calm when he sees it. My dog always gets freaked out by the harvest moon. Also, hot air balloons send her over the edge. Something creepy about them I guess!

Good luck!

At least he barks at something! My dog Jun barks insanely at nothing!!! Sometimes I think she's just trying to shake things up a bit and make life interesting for herself.

That's funny! At first we thought he was just barking at the sky, then noticed the moon set him off. That's good advice about rewarding him for being calm (and we are doing clicker training); will try that.

About 6 months after I adopted Boots we moved out to a house in the country. One night I was out playing frisbee w/ him and had a really bad throw. Boots being the good bc he is went charging out into the field. Well a full moon had just crested and I guess he thought it was his frisbee so he ran several hundred yards from me starring up into the sky. He finally stopped running but continued starring up into the sky alert and confused, then began barking after a minute or two, but it was more a confused whinny, 'Why won't my toy come back?' This only happened a few times and I have since tried tricking him into doing it to get a video of it, it's hilarious, but I guess he's too smart fo those old games anymore.

About 6 months after I adopted Boots we moved out to a house in the country. One night I was out playing frisbee w/ him and had a really bad throw. Boots being the good bc he is went charging out into the field. Well a full moon had just crested and I guess he thought it was his frisbee so he ran several hundred yards from me starring up into the sky. He finally stopped running but continued starring up into the sky alert and confused, then began barking after a minute or two, but it was more a confused whinny, 'Why won't my toy come back?' This only happened a few times and I have since tried tricking him into doing it to get a video of it, it's hilarious, but I guess he's too smart fo those old games anymore.

Oh, that's funny. Poor dog. There is no way to explain.