BC Boards

Hair, hair everywhere

I apologize if this has been discussed but I was unable to find it through the search option. George has been shedding since February, alot. It has been constant. Could he need a supplement and if so what should I be giving him? I know his fur was terrible when he came to me but I wasn't expecting this. There are still spots that have that yellowish cast to them (Laurie will know what I am referring to)and it doesn't have the sheen of Cocoa's and Honey's. I feed him raw. It will be a year in August that I have had him. I am thinking his system may need a boost since they were feeding him such terrible food.

Thanks

Toni

Toni- Salmon Oil (or any fish BODY oil)Capsules are fine- for dogs recommended dose is 1000 mg per 20 lbs of body weight daily. I used to use capsules, but I like the liquid Salmon Oil in a pump container better. Emu oil sounds great, too. Probably harder to find except at a health food store. Any source of Omega 3's/6's and EFA's would be good for the coat/skin.

I've never seen Brewer's Yeast used alone for skin/coat conditions. It does supply B1, B2 and Niacin. Heard of it used for flea repellency, but personally I try to stay away from any Yeast/wheat products for my dogs if possible.

http://www.puritan.com/pages/file.asp?PID=...938&lbl=1#label

We just got a funminator and I'm pretty pleased. I guess I'll have to buy my own. (borrowed moms)

We also use a human conditioner at bath time called Citre shine. Very nice stuff.

I was getting it at the dollar tree but, I think rite aid sells it in bigger bottles.

I agree too about the oil Mom was using rice bran oil for a while since Penny's coat was so bad and she was so thin. Her coat is beautiful now.

I started George on the Omega capsules last night. He is such a character. Cocoa will eat anything I give her even if it is a pill. Not George. No matter what it is he has to spit it out look at it, smell it, move it around with his nose. He will only eat it if Cocoa makes a move for it, which she did. So he grabs it and then spits it out again after she moved away. Finally I grabbed a hot dog and stuck in the end. The brat ate the hot dog & spit the pill out. I finally put one in each end of the hot dog and gave him the whole thing. Being the pig that he is he ate it in one swallow. Thank God for hot dogs! Thank you for the suggestions. I think I am going to try to hide them under the chicken skin in his chicken quarters. See how that goes.

Toni