BC Boards

dog is not eating

Hello everyone,

I have a 15 months old female border collie, she used to eat her food in just seconds, but the last couple of days, she doesn't even care about it, she look at her food and doesn't eat it untill like 20 minutes later. today i gave her food 2 hours ago and she haven't touched it, can anyone give me an advice, i never had this kind of problem before, because she used to eat so fast.

thank you

Joe

Has it been especially warn where you are? Any new stressful events? Both can cause a dog to go off their feed some.

That being said, since this is so abnormal for your pup, it really sounds like a vet visit is in order. If any of my dogs suddenly lost interest in food you'd bet they'd be at the vet for a check up ASAP!

I would also suggest a vet visit for an animal that was a good eater who now is not eating. Consider bloodwork also if the vet thinks that might help pinpoint a problem. Loss of appetite can be an indication of a serious condition.

Best wishes taking care of this.

^^I concur with the comments above. With any of my dogs who are really good eaters, not eating is cause for a trip to the vet. A friend of mine has the mother to one of my dogs, and we always joke about how the two of them are, shall we say, fantastic eaters. When her dog refused a meal, she took as a sign of something seriously wrong and rushed her to the vet, where it turned out she had a life threatening infection (pyometra). The dog gave no other indication that she was ill except for refusing food. Not saying this to scare you, by any means, but just to point out that when a dog's behavior changes radically then there very well could be a medical cause.

J.

I agree I would take your dog to the vet. Before Nikita got ill she loved her food, but about a month before her seizures started(brain tumor related) she refused to eat. You just want to make sure she does not have anything medically wrong with her.

Also, my other dog does not eat when there is stress or a change in our routine or if she is overheated.

But to be on the safe side I would visit your vet like it was suggested.

As already suggested, I would also start with a visit to the vet. If there are no physical issues, there may be a psychological issue. Annie occasionally goes through finicky spells. Sometimes it is the weather (Annie minds the heat, and can hear thunder occurring anywhere within the contiguous 48 states as well as southern Canada and northern Mexico). Sometimes she is just in a funk; in those cases, we sit with her, and gently and lovingly cajole her into eating. And sometimes she is just tired of the same food day after day; so we might mix in a little all-natural spaghetti sauce, or broiled chicken or hamburger, for a few meals to make her bland prescription food a little more appetizing. (Isn't it FUN living with a neurotic dog?)

Dogs seem to have the ability to hide medical problems but sometimes they give us tips ion small ways such as not eating. I watch my guys very carefully and if something changes I go on alert. I saved my best dogs life a couple of years ago. A couple of things seemed to change in him overnight, he did not want food or water and he did not want to go to work. I took him to the vet and he had a dangerously high temp. We treated him but never did find the problem. When my guys seem to change they are off to the vet.

thanks everyone, I forgot to tell you something very important, she is on a medication for a week because she was limping a little bit, and this medication has some side effects, and one of them is nausea and loss of appetite. I don't know, i called my vet and he said it is the medication, I hope things turn out good.

Loss of appetitie due to medication is not unusual, but should still be verified. If this is the issue, sometimes making the food a bit more tantalizing for the dog might work. Try the all-natural spaghetti sauce; another thing we have used over the years is mixing in little bits of Celentano's Italian Meatballs (which we also used as training rewards) with the food (the dogs love the garlic smell, and the food is good for them).