BC Boards

Super excited to see EVERYONE!

I have an awesome 6 month old BC. Right now he is perfect. Recall is great. He loves Frisbee. Well trained in side. The one problem (if you call it a problem) is that when he sees other dogs or people, he is so excited to visit I can’t hardly control him. He is not aggressive at all (unless you call licking someone’s face aggressive) but rather just so excited he almost wiggles his butt right off! Socialization is not a problem as he sees other dogs everyday. Where we live has an excess of dogs we meet. People as well. So, my question stands…what can I do to break him this? What training techniques have others used for puppies greeting other dogs and people?

It5 sounds like your puppy suffers from Extreme Butt Wiggleitis. However the cure is an easy one depending on a few things. First a Q: How often does he get out to walk in a crowd or among other dogs.

The cure is to teach him to sit and and mind his manners. Not to greet someone until you tell him "We have visitors". Keep his attention away from other people and dogs with pea size treats fed one after another. You want him to pay attention to you. it's not a question of just meeting other dogs. He has to walk and be among them to the point where he won't be distracted.

People are not allowed to approach or touch Jin unless he is sitting quietly and like your pup he does get very excited. When people try to pet him I ask them not to until Jin is sitting and I release him with the visitors command.

There is a book called "The other end of the leash" by Pat Mac Connell and another called Control Unleashed available from cleanrun.com. I also suggest an obedience class from a good trainer who is familiar with BCs. I do recommend training him in a class rather than alone and try to avoid pet store classes. Find someone with a school.

I have just finished another new book that I am very impressed with. It is "Chill Out Fido! How To Calm Your Dog." by Nan Kene Arthur. It is wonderful. All the other books that talk about calming are geared toward reactive dogs, where fear is a component. This one is actually about teaching your dog to react calmly to triggers that excite. I have started the program with Ruby, and am seeing some results already. There is an exellent explanation of behavior and basic training concepts, followed by an eleven step program for teaching the dog how to choose calm behavior instead of craziness. I highly recomend it.

Kathy Robbins

my dog is 16 months old, and she gets excited and pee, and she is around people and other dogs a lot, she just love people so much. i tried a lot to stop this habit, but nothing is working either.

my dog is 16 months old, and she gets excited and pee, and she is around people and other dogs a lot, she just love people so much. i tried a lot to stop this habit, but nothing is working either.

She may just out grow that behaviour, but she may not. I remember way back when I was little, our lab had a litter of puppies and one of the females was very, very excitable. She just loved people so much that she'd pee just a little every time she met someone. She was the runt of the littler, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but she never out grew it. My own dogs gets SO excited when my old room mate comes over that she'll dribble a bit if she has a full bladder.

I don't know if you've tried this, but teaching her to sit calmly before anyone will say hello or pet her might help a bit.....