BC Boards

Any red dogs out there?

As I scroll through the pictures, I see many beautiful black and white dogs, but does anyone else have a red dog? We thought that because we'd recently lost a beloved black and white that it would be wise to consider a red pup order to separate the two in our minds and hearts. The breeder happened to have an older red and white who was just beautiful (half sister to our pup) and the the litter we signed up for happened to deliver a red male...just what we were considering, but as I take him out people literally don't know what he his! He's a red tri, by the way, with beautiful gold eyebrows and a touch of gold on his muzzle and "ruff". The breeder wasn't deliberately going for red dogs, but both parents had the red gene.

I was actually asked if he was truly a purebred BC? I know that the red coat is a recessive gene, but honestly didn't think they were that rare...there were three in this litter and three black and whites.

Liz

I honestly didn't know Border Collies came in any other color/coat then the traditional B&W until I started looking for a BC of my own almost 4 years ago. There are red dogs on these forums, I just don't have one - though I wanted my first BC to be red once I saw they came in that color, but ended up w/ B&Ws. :rolleyes:

My Cheyenne is a red tricolor and I think she's gorgeous. She's a dark red, more like auburn than a typical bright red but when the sun hits her, her color is beautiful. And, she has a personality to match. :rolleyes:

Cheyenne4.JPG

Yes, I think there are several of us with red dogs here...maybe we're just not frequent picture-posters? :D

I have to admit that I've started noticing red BCs more since acquiring one myself last year. Like Shoshone, my Odyseuss is red and white with blue eyes...but, unlike Shoshone, I don't think anyone who saw him would ever call him "very pretty." :rolleyes: He has a lot of damage to his muzzle from his first decade of life (before we rescued him), and my vet wants to do reconstructive surgery on him to repair it. But we're tackling the quality-of-life health issues first.

ETA: I'm enjoying seeing beautiful dogs in this thread, so I'll add a photo, too. Here is the best picture I have of Ody--it makes him look almost normal! :D

IMG_2669_2.jpg

As I scroll through the pictures, I see many beautiful black and white dogs, but does anyone else have a red dog? We thought that because we'd recently lost a beloved black and white that it would be wise to consider a red pup order to separate the two in our minds and hearts.

Liz

I empathize with your loss from very deep inside. That is something many of us have been through more than once.

I don't believe a red dog or a tri will separate them in your heart or minds. Jin is as different from Bas (my last BC) as night and day. I Jin Bas from time to time. Neither do I think you can separate the to sicne they really are one in the same. To me it's a simple task to make room in my heart for more than one BC. I would never want them separated.

One of mine is a red & white and people aren't always sure of what he is. With him though it's not so much his colour (or at least not only because of his colour), it's also his build. He's a HUGE dog for a border collie, very tall and very long, really solid bone structure. This is Flurry:

DSCF5238.jpg

DSCF5468.jpg

DSCF5212.jpg

DSCF5202.jpg

DSCF4821.jpg

IMG_6516.jpg

IMG_6520.jpg

My red dogs:

Farleigh, a rescue, is 10:

IMG_1893_edited.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

Kat, 9, is one of my open trial dogs (she's a red tri):

P4170091.jpg

IMG_0875_edited.jpg

P5240030.jpg

Jill, who will be 13 in a couple of months, is a retired open trial dog:

IMG_0249.jpg

The red dogs posing with the rest of the pack (minus the youngsters as this is before their arrival) at a trial in Kentucky. Wow, I had just six dogs then!

PA240061.jpg

They're all also in my sig line photo below.

When I got Farleigh nine years ago, people most often thought he was an aussie, but I really haven't had anyone mistake me red dogs for any other breed in ages. I just don't bother to upload photos to Photobucket so I can post them....

J.

Thanks all for sharing your pictures and experiences! Robin's half-sister is a deep auburn as well, so we're thinking that's how he's going to end up....I'll work at posting some pictures of him, but at three months old, he's all legs....unless he's covered with mud! I've never had a dog that loved to be dirty as much as he does!

Liz

Liz - Remember that it isn't what other folks think your dog is that counts. It's what you know your dog is that really matters.

Many people here with working-bred (or, at least not show-bred) Border Collies are often asked, "What is your dog crossed with?" A lot of folks have seen nothing further than the fluff-ball Westminster dogs and think that that cookie-cutter black and white dog is a real Border Collie. Anything that looks slick-coated, lean, lanky, tri, other-colored, not-tipped-eared, must be a cross or something else entirely.

Enjoy the dog and educate the ignorant!

Reds are my favorite and someday I hope to have one. There's a gal at the club where I train who has a red smooth coat female that I totally covet. If I were picking a dog on color and coat, that'd be it!

A lot of people don't know what Steve is either because he's blue merle. He is not an Aussie with a tail. I swear it.

My Koda is a red dog....

Koda1.jpg

I also have a black/white and a blue tri - they get mistaken for aussies all the time. My black and white girl is very tall and lean, the boys are stockier and heavier, plus the blue tri has a curly coat - so that throws people off too. Doesn't matter to me, I know what they are.....mine.

Nancy,

Genetically speaking Kit is a true red or yellow (ee) and the dogs the rest of us call "red" are liver or brown (bb)! :rolleyes: In any case the colors are genetically different, and Kit isn't a genetically dilute form of the liver/red dogs--that dilute is what the color folks call lilac.

J.

Nancy,

This is my favorite site for dog color genetics. I think it's well written and pretty easy to follow. You might enjoy reading through it, although it's got an annoying layout problem, at least in my browser.

Back in the Usenet days I used to be on a horse color genetics list--very interesting!

J.

I've got one too. Rip frequently gets mistaken for an Aussie, even though he's got a great long BC tail. He's also got large patches of ticking on his white areas, which seems to be even more rare on red dogs. Ticking is extremely uncommon is Aussies, but people mistake Rip's ticking for merling, which it is not.

post-10099-1245097173_thumb.jpg

post-10099-1245097188_thumb.jpg

I love Izzy! If I ever have a red, I want him/her to be marked like Izzy.

LOL Well, I didn't want a red, ever. Izzy was the only girl in Lena's only litter and you gets...what you gots.

Izzy says Thank You. She's quite fond of her markings as well :rolleyes: