BC Boards

Question for long-time raw feeders

The worst was Gidget, my Min Pin, that went 8 days without food before she finally caved.

I'm just a wee bit appalled by this. There is no diet in my opinion, that is worth starving a dog 8 days over making them eat it. Especially such a small dog! You could have bottomed out her blood sugar, or even caused internal damage. I'm glad she's ok, but was it really worth all that?

8 days...EIGHT DAYS....I'd eat cardboard at that point myself. :rolleyes:

I've had healthy medium sized dogs fasted for specific reasons for up to 72 hours, but that's it. The vet and I did this together.

I have relatively non-picky dogs that eat like they've never seen food 99% of the time. The few times I've forced them eat something they refused they became ill when they did. We insisted Nell eat organ meats when she was nursing to help her with her weight. We all but had to force her to eat it, mixing it in all her food when she had to eat because she was so hungry with the nursing. After 3 days of doing that both she and the pups developed screaming diarrhea. My holistic vet read me the riot act about that one - "never, ever," she said, "force a dog to eat something it refuses like that. They are smarter than us about what they need and don't need" We removed the organ meats, added high quality carbs to her muscle meat and bones and she gained weight and produced a ton of milk.

Honor your dog's choices. Some won't eat raw because its not the best choice for them.

Lark is probably always going to be an issue because it's just that type of dog. Hopefully some of suggestions will be helpful in moderating it to a reasonable level.

And the more I think about it, since this has been an issue from puppyhood, the more I think I probably should get some baseline bloodwork done just to make sure there isn't some physiological reason for her pickiness.

J.

It was Dr Dodds that suggested the spices at a conference I was at. She also talked about the appetite-less Borzoi there as well. Might be worth an email to her to ask for suggestions.....

And the more I think about it, since this has been an issue from puppyhood, the more I think I probably should get some baseline bloodwork done just to make sure there isn't some physiological reason for her pickiness.

J.

I am still kicking myself for not doing this for Bute sooner. It would have explained a lot, even if there had been nothing we could do for him. I realize now that he was always a hungry dog but not always a dog that was able to eat good food.